British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   New Zealand (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/)
-   -   landing at newzealand (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/landing-newzealand-586925/)

paul2 Jan 25th 2009 9:30 pm

landing at newzealand

me and the family are flying out wednesday were going on 6 months visitors visa. i have got a job lined up ready just need to get my work permit when im sorted, i have a follow on ticket as you need that to get in, when you land do you have to fill any paperwork in what happens?:confused:

CarolineSwan Jan 25th 2009 9:34 pm

Re: landing at newzealand

the guy just asked us business or pleasure we said we moving here he said you have came to a fantastic country, checked our passports and wished us well, he moved here from ireland 10 years ago

you will be fine

caz

paul2 Jan 25th 2009 9:37 pm

did you go on visitors visa?

CarolineSwan Jan 25th 2009 9:45 pm

We came on a WTR visa

simonmarkellis Jan 25th 2009 9:46 pm

Originally Posted by paul2 (Post 7212277)
did you go on visitors visa?

When we arrived on visitors visa's in 2007 because our outard bound flights were booked with Air New Zealand as well to OZ, they already knew we had onward travel arrangements and didn't ask us to prove anything when we landed... just got waved through with a smile and a hello... you'll have no problems...

paul2 Jan 25th 2009 9:49 pm

thankyou!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !! im geting nervous now just hope it all goes to plan!! ive got a rented house sorted the the guy im renting it off is moving to oz for couple of years. ive bought his car, furniture,beds, barbeque, most things so were set up really. just hope im doing the right thing:thumbup:

Wooly_Cow Jan 25th 2009 10:03 pm

Originally Posted by paul2 (Post 7212265)
me and the family are flying out wednesday were going on 6 months visitors visa. i have got a job lined up ready just need to get my work permit when im sorted, i have a follow on ticket as you need that to get in, when you land do you have to fill any paperwork in what happens?:confused:

You should really check the Immigration rules but from my understanding a Visitors Visa does not allow work.

For the purposes of applying the 'lawful purpose' test in the provision relating to bona fide applicants (see E5.1), visitors are considered to be coming to New Zealand for a lawful purpose if:

they are coming for the purposes of:
holidaying
sightseeing
family and social visits
amateur sport
business consultation
medical treatment; and
they are not intending to undertake employment (see W2.1.1) or a course of study or training, other than a single course of study or training that lasts no more than 3 calendar months.

http://www.immigration.govt.nz/opsmanual/i8396.htm

WTR is a different cattegory

paul2 Jan 25th 2009 10:07 pm

yes the imigration company im with said it will take 30 days for my work permit to come throu, i know you carnt work on visitors visa

CarolineSwan Jan 25th 2009 10:16 pm

Originally Posted by paul2 (Post 7212313)
thankyou!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !! im geting nervous now just hope it all goes to plan!! ive got a rented house sorted the the guy im renting it off is moving to oz for couple of years. ive bought his car, furniture,beds, barbeque, most things so were set up really. just hope im doing the right thing:thumbup:

wow you are all set for sure,no waiting on containers for you .. im sure it will all work out fine, best of luck to you

neilw71 Jan 25th 2009 10:17 pm

I would be very careful - if they decide to search and find info on you regarding rentals and work, they are entitled to refuse entry and send you straight back!

Neil

CarolineSwan Jan 25th 2009 10:19 pm

WTR is a different cattegory
i know this wooly, just saying there should be no hassle , as long as a return to show

one of the things i was worried about was if we were going to be dragged into an office on arrival and interogated lolol

paul2 Jan 25th 2009 10:22 pm

well thats the risk im going to have to take, ive got nothing in writing saying about my job they did say about that, surley renting a house carnt go against you? there must be people that go over and rent for 6 months?

CarolineSwan Jan 25th 2009 10:30 pm

Originally Posted by paul2 (Post 7212393)
well thats the risk im going to have to take, ive got nothing in writing saying about my job they did say about that, surley renting a house carnt go against you? there must be people that go over and rent for 6 months?

i would say same at the end of the day you have got to stay somewhere, i cant see anyone wanting to stay in a hotel for 6 months or even be able to affoard it, esp if you just a visitor lol wink wink

CarolineSwan Jan 25th 2009 10:31 pm

meant to ask where are you going to be living/working?

paul2 Jan 25th 2009 10:35 pm

im living in paihia bay of islands. ive got a job waiting i am a carpenter by trade doing lot of house building and commercial work, ive got 2 kids an 11 year old and a 3 year old am doing it for them really:)