British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   New Zealand (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/)
-   -   A land of two halves.... (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/land-two-halves-655912/)

dave77 Feb 21st 2010 10:13 am

A land of two halves....

Hey!

Just wondered if anybody else has read this book... ? I finished it a few nights ago and it is probably worth a read for any would be ex-pats!

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Land-Two-Hal...6750514&sr=8-1

It's about a guy from Eastbourne who took a job as a teacher in ChCh for a year and ended up staying for 15 years. He decides to hitch hike around both islands. It is quite informative, although it took me a while to get used to his dry cynical humour!

Cheers :)

shelloid Feb 21st 2010 12:17 pm

Re: A land of two halves....

:thumbsup: thanks for that - think I'm gonna purchasee it 2nd hand of amazon!

j19fmm Feb 21st 2010 1:07 pm

Yup read it, on the shelf with every other book I have about, from or by a NZ'er ! :)

gags Feb 21st 2010 1:48 pm

Have also read this book. Got it from Amazon. A good read I thought and quite witty in places. Anything to do with nz and I will read it. Is on my shelf as well with all the others about nz. :thumbup:

cappuccino Feb 22nd 2010 5:10 am

Originally Posted by j19fmm (Post 8362441)
Yup read it, on the shelf with every other book I have about, from or by a NZ'er ! :)

Ditto - actually I have purchased 3 copies over the past few years because each one I have lent out never came back! I'm not lending any more books - that's what libraries are for :rofl:

AndyRuth Feb 22nd 2010 5:03 pm

How weird !! just got this book out of our local library today , about to start reading it tonight , if the kids will go to bed :rolleyes:

dave77 Feb 22nd 2010 7:41 pm

Originally Posted by AndyRuth (Post 8365578)
How weird !! just got this book out of our local library today , about to start reading it tonight , if the kids will go to bed :rolleyes:

Spooky! I know exactly what you mean, kids and reading (anything other than dora the explorer) do not go together well :D

Hope you enjoy!

dave77 Feb 22nd 2010 7:44 pm

Originally Posted by cappuccino (Post 8364045)
Ditto - actually I have purchased 3 copies over the past few years because each one I have lent out never came back! I'm not lending any more books - that's what libraries are for :rofl:

good advice that, i never got my Dan Brown Digital Fortress back from an ex work colleague... don't suppose I'll see that again :(

Persephone Feb 22nd 2010 8:10 pm

Originally Posted by dave77 (Post 8365907)
good advice that, i never got my Dan Brown Digital Fortress back from an ex work colleague... don't suppose I'll see that again :(

I don't lend books anymore for that reason, I don't understand why people never return them:frown:

I have a copy of A Land of Two Halves. It's in one of the 20 boxes in the garage awaiting placement on bookshelves-hopefully soon.
Embarrassingly someone gave it to me just before I left the UK and I haven't got round to reading it yet:o

AndyRuth Feb 22nd 2010 11:18 pm

Originally Posted by dave77 (Post 8365900)
Spooky! I know exactly what you mean, kids and reading (anything other than dora the explorer) do not go together well :D

Hope you enjoy!

Did not get to start it :frown: not the kids but an estate agent valueing the house , you would think they did not have their own home to go to :rofl:

Wooly_Cow Feb 23rd 2010 12:05 am

Originally Posted by dave77 (Post 8365907)
i never got my Dan Brown Digital Fortress back from an ex work colleague... don't suppose I'll see that again :(

Don't worry....it's rubbish!

weejie Feb 23rd 2010 2:03 am

Got it as a gift upon leaving the UK and read it when we came here...really good book

Phyl x

Lee Lee Feb 23rd 2010 11:21 am

Can I borrow your book please dave77... you know where I am if you want it back :D

dave77 Feb 23rd 2010 5:12 pm

Originally Posted by Persephone (Post 8365956)

I have a copy of A Land of Two Halves. It's in one of the 20 boxes in the garage awaiting placement on bookshelves-hopefully soon.
Embarrassingly someone gave it to me just before I left the UK and I haven't got round to reading it yet:o

Shame on you!! lol :rofl:

dave77 Feb 23rd 2010 5:13 pm

Originally Posted by Lee Lee (Post 8367522)
Can I borrow your book please dave77... you know where I am if you want it back :D

i might make an exception for close family :rofl: