Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

LAID BACK TRADES MEN!

LAID BACK TRADES MEN!

Old Oct 18th 2010, 8:45 am
BE Enthusiast

jennifer45 has a reputation beyond reputejennifer45 has a reputation beyond reputejennifer45 has a reputation beyond reputejennifer45 has a reputation beyond reputejennifer45 has a reputation beyond reputejennifer45 has a reputation beyond reputejennifer45 has a reputation beyond reputejennifer45 has a reputation beyond reputejennifer45 has a reputation beyond reputejennifer45 has a reputation beyond reputejennifer45 has a reputation beyond repute
Default LAID BACK TRADES MEN!

i've come to realise that the laid back attitude to life, that I so love in NZ, is an endemic part of the tradesman's attitude to jobs and clients.
Job to be done towards end of next week- in reality means end of next month (providing the parts are ok and arrive on time.)

Now I refuse to criticise Kiwi tradesmen having been sent the following photos.
Kind of makes you wonder- did the client upset them-or what?

Contractor of the year award.
http://www.kingofforwards.com/fake-o...e-year-awards/

Attached Thumbnails LAID BACK TRADES MEN!-7590_hvac_cartoon.gif  
Old Oct 18th 2010, 9:45 am
Truth is the safest lie.

Charismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: LAID BACK TRADES MEN!

Tradesmen run businesses and like every good business man they will use their contract (or lack of one ) to make money out of you. It makes good business sense for them if they can give you a few hours here and there between more lucrative call outs. They have an unduly bad reputation, the underlying problem is most people simply have no idea of how to employ people to do work for them.
Old Oct 22nd 2010, 9:31 am
BE Enthusiast

jennifer45 has a reputation beyond reputejennifer45 has a reputation beyond reputejennifer45 has a reputation beyond reputejennifer45 has a reputation beyond reputejennifer45 has a reputation beyond reputejennifer45 has a reputation beyond reputejennifer45 has a reputation beyond reputejennifer45 has a reputation beyond reputejennifer45 has a reputation beyond reputejennifer45 has a reputation beyond reputejennifer45 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: LAID BACK TRADES MEN!

Originally Posted by Charismatic
Tradesmen run businesses and like every good business man they will use their contract (or lack of one ) to make money out of you. It makes good business sense for them if they can give you a few hours here and there between more lucrative call outs. They have an unduly bad reputation, the underlying problem is most people simply have no idea of how to employ people to do work for them.
Ok mia cara,
as I've suffered the results of my inability to employ these noble trades persons correctly and you obviously have not, please, please share your expertise and knowledge with an old 'past it', can't be ***ed, life's too short, give us a break, you're 'avin a laugh, literally at my wits end and totally p/ssed off, mucked about pensioner!
I would be terribly grateful.
Old Oct 25th 2010, 8:43 am
Truth is the safest lie.

Charismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond repute

I'm not the best person to ask, there are trades people here who are better bet .

However:
Waving your hand yonder and saying you want a new bathroom/kitchen/swimming pool installed is too vague. You need to have a plan beforehand:
- When you invite tenders be thorough (it’s a good idea to invite a few tenders). Give them drawings/specifications outlining the extent of the work, materials and construction details (if possible). The more relevant information you give the more valid reliable the quote can be (which will help avoid disputes later). Most are professionals running their businesses and it’s fair to tell them you will be inviting other quotes on the work (though I wouldn’t use a quote as leverage on prices, that’s asking for bad workmanship).
- Get a timescale, it’s all so well using the cheapest quote but if your bathroom is only going to be finished in time for the second coming of Christ you may decide you need to look at other quotes.
- Ask the hourly rate so you know how much to expect additional work to cost and make sure additional work costs are formally outlined before they are undertaken (though it’s a much better idea to be thorough at first however because costs mount exponentially, especially when your builder ends up pulling out the tiles it took him three days to lay beautifully). Also consider time this will add.
- Availability, can he or she commit to your job or will they dump you for a more lucrative proposition? It turns out even in a business relationship commitment and loyalty are important in reasoning through your risk.
- Check that tenders you receive provide costing (remember GST!) for all materials and fittings (where applicable). If you’ve been tardy in choosing fittings ahead how can he include exact details in the quote? Also those fittings you ordered will need to be on site when he needs them, it’s not fair game if you are wasting his time since that costs him money.
- There is a big difference between an estimate and a quote. A written estimate is more of a +/- 20% type deal than a commitment with explicit promises (should be written, signed and dated ).

When clients get sloppy some trades people get greedy. I’ve seen all sorts of shenanigans involving marking up products purchased at trade prices for resale to gullible clients . Situations where clients had clearly just opened the flood gates to their accounts and probably ended up spending a lot of money achieving the same results as a more prudent approach.
Old Oct 25th 2010, 8:52 am
Truth is the safest lie.

I forgot to add:

It’s nice to be polite and write to the ones who didn’t get the work (letter, note, e-mail) informing them you went with someone else (along with a reason). Thank them for their time and effort, keep the good vibes going .
Old Oct 25th 2010, 9:07 am
BE Forum Addict

Jan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond repute

the ones iv,e met have all been wankers
Old Oct 26th 2010, 7:58 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond repute

What you need to do is find the guys hidey holes: drive down a few roads around midday and look out for a good collection of white van men, or perhaps look out for the glare from the big f***-off shiney utes with the highly polished chrome. You can usually find them on quiet little side roads or where there is parking available along the beach front. Check out the drivers seat, or the back step of the flat back truck and you will generally find a guy there having a nap. Go tap him on the shoulder and threaten to phone his wife / boss and see how fast he moves then.
Old Oct 27th 2010, 4:47 am
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by Jan n Neil
the ones iv,e met have all been wankers
My husband has been known to grip his sweaty crox nuts. There again he is an employed monkey these days, Not an actual organ grinder.