LA Stopover

Old Jul 26th 2009, 5:42 am
BE Forum Addict

irnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond repute
Default LA Stopover

Hey, anyone any advice or recommendations on where good to stay in LA for a 3 day stopover, never been before so all advice welcome
Old Jul 26th 2009, 6:41 am
Scorchy legs

Dewb09 has a reputation beyond reputeDewb09 has a reputation beyond reputeDewb09 has a reputation beyond reputeDewb09 has a reputation beyond reputeDewb09 has a reputation beyond reputeDewb09 has a reputation beyond reputeDewb09 has a reputation beyond reputeDewb09 has a reputation beyond reputeDewb09 has a reputation beyond reputeDewb09 has a reputation beyond reputeDewb09 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: LA Stopover

Having been to NZ four times, three of them via LA vowed never to go that way again

Last time we went via Singapore WONDERFUL only conncecting flight didnt explore sadly, maybe next time as we will only go via Asia now.

Sorry to be so negative but I tried to keep open mind everytime we went but sadly encountered very unhelpful & horrid people everytime. Oh and con men as soon as we walked out of the airport doors

We did once fly on to San Francisco for a few days & that was great, but had to go back to LA for flight to NZ.

Not much help just my experience sorry
Dewb
Old Jul 26th 2009, 7:17 am
BE Enthusiast

MOSO has a reputation beyond reputeMOSO has a reputation beyond reputeMOSO has a reputation beyond reputeMOSO has a reputation beyond reputeMOSO has a reputation beyond reputeMOSO has a reputation beyond reputeMOSO has a reputation beyond reputeMOSO has a reputation beyond reputeMOSO has a reputation beyond reputeMOSO has a reputation beyond reputeMOSO has a reputation beyond repute

Hi

We've just booked our one way tickets for Sep with 3 days stopover in LA. If you go on Air NZ via LA you get double baggage allowance which you don't if you go via the East.

We found the cheapest flights were through our local Flight Centre - £300 cheaper for 4 of us than via Air NZ website on the same plane

We are planning on taking the kids to Disney and maybe Universal (they currently have a 2 days for the price of 1 offer on their website). We'll also have a look at Hollywood, Santa Monica etc. We haven't booked any hotels yet, but expedia/last minute.com etc seem to have loads. We always use holidayautos for car hire.

We flew non-stop via LA last year without any problems. It may not be the most attractive airport in the world, but for double baggage allowance and Disney to break up the journey for the kids it works for us.
Old Jul 26th 2009, 8:01 am
BE Forum Addict

irnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dewb09
Having been to NZ four times, three of them via LA vowed never to go that way again

Last time we went via Singapore WONDERFUL only conncecting flight didnt explore sadly, maybe next time as we will only go via Asia now.

Sorry to be so negative but I tried to keep open mind everytime we went but sadly encountered very unhelpful & horrid people everytime. Oh and con men as soon as we walked out of the airport doors

We did once fly on to San Francisco for a few days & that was great, but had to go back to LA for flight to NZ.

Not much help just my experience sorry
Dewb
So where did you stay when there, and any good?
Old Jul 26th 2009, 9:24 am
BE Forum Addict

j19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond repute

Years ago I stayed in the Holiday Inn - right by the airport - due to an engine failure (the planes not mine) It was a great hotel, amazing amount of food, but as I was young and on my own I didn't venture out!!
Try Googling a few places then chuck the names on here and see if anyone reacts. Good luck x
Old Jul 26th 2009, 9:42 am
Scorchy legs

Dewb09 has a reputation beyond reputeDewb09 has a reputation beyond reputeDewb09 has a reputation beyond reputeDewb09 has a reputation beyond reputeDewb09 has a reputation beyond reputeDewb09 has a reputation beyond reputeDewb09 has a reputation beyond reputeDewb09 has a reputation beyond reputeDewb09 has a reputation beyond reputeDewb09 has a reputation beyond reputeDewb09 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by irnbru14
So where did you stay when there, and any good?
In LA it was hotel near airport, sorry forgot name was ok little bit pricey but people there were nice/friendly.
It was just the airport staff/procedures that has put me off ever going that way again! (Air NZ staff as well as others!)

San Francisco,
It was a holiday inn! was fine, reasonable cheap, clean, good location for getting about. The "continental breakfast" was a bit dodgy and you ate it in the foyer? this was a few years ago & there are so many options for getting breakfast out.......

Will try to remeber name of street but been a while!

Dewb
Old Jul 26th 2009, 10:45 am
BE Forum Addict

lapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond repute

We stayed at the Marriott Marina del Ray (it's on Google maps and tripadvisor) - about a 15 min taxi ride from the airport. Very nice hotel with good pool, bar, restaurant etc. Safe man-made swimming beach for the kids over the road, also a Cheesecake Factory where we had a very nice family dinner for much less than the hotel would have charged.

We only had 27 hrs in LA so didn't have time for the touristy stuff, just wanted to break the trip and get some proper sleep. Anyway, my views on giant mice can be read elsewhere
Old Jul 26th 2009, 8:43 pm
Forum Regular

zummerzet_lou has much to be proud ofzummerzet_lou has much to be proud ofzummerzet_lou has much to be proud ofzummerzet_lou has much to be proud ofzummerzet_lou has much to be proud ofzummerzet_lou has much to be proud ofzummerzet_lou has much to be proud ofzummerzet_lou has much to be proud ofzummerzet_lou has much to be proud ofzummerzet_lou has much to be proud ofzummerzet_lou has much to be proud of

We flew via LA, although only had 2 hours in the airport whilst plane was refuelled and it really wasn't bad at all.

Personally, I'd rather get the 24ish hr flight over and done with, and save those 3 days to start exploring NZ!

Lou
Old Jul 26th 2009, 10:17 pm
BE Forum Addict

OK, have got 3 days in LA and would ideally not be staying out by the airport!! Anyone stayed in downtown/hollywood/beverly hills etc etc etc???
Old Jul 26th 2009, 10:19 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Dewb09
In LA it was hotel near airport, sorry forgot name was ok little bit pricey but people there were nice/friendly.
It was just the airport staff/procedures that has put me off ever going that way again! (Air NZ staff as well as others!)

San Francisco,
It was a holiday inn! was fine, reasonable cheap, clean, good location for getting about. The "continental breakfast" was a bit dodgy and you ate it in the foyer? this was a few years ago & there are so many options for getting breakfast out.......

Will try to remeber name of street but been a while!

Dewb
Hey Dewb, its ok I have done San Fran, spent a week there about 3 years back and yes its fab. alas the Air NZ offers means its LA, all flights booked, for 3 nights
Old Jul 26th 2009, 10:27 pm
Scorchy legs

Originally Posted by irnbru14
Hey Dewb, its ok I have done San Fran, spent a week there about 3 years back and yes its fab. alas the Air NZ offers means its LA, all flights booked, for 3 nights
Fair enough, an offer is an offer!
Looks like I was just very unlucky with my experience's

Hope you have a great time anyway

Dewb
Old Jul 26th 2009, 10:29 pm
BE Forum Addict

cappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond repute

Check out Trip Advisor for 'real reviews' and ideas for your time in LA.
Old Jul 27th 2009, 1:11 am
Live from CHCH...

Matewx has a reputation beyond reputeMatewx has a reputation beyond reputeMatewx has a reputation beyond reputeMatewx has a reputation beyond reputeMatewx has a reputation beyond reputeMatewx has a reputation beyond reputeMatewx has a reputation beyond reputeMatewx has a reputation beyond reputeMatewx has a reputation beyond reputeMatewx has a reputation beyond reputeMatewx has a reputation beyond repute

I love how the minute you mention LAX stopover or transit on this forum, everyone jumps to say how bad it is...

All irnbru14 is looking for is which hotel, he's made his mind up on it being LAX & not SIN or HKG... lol

Sorry, am in a ranting mood today (work's shit! - There I've said it! & if it dont change quickly I'll have to make decisions... Work permit whatever wont stop me from leaving!!)!
Old Jul 27th 2009, 1:14 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Matewx
I love how the minute you mention LAX stopover or transit on this forum, everyone jumps to say how bad it is...

All irnbru14 is looking for is which hotel, he's made his mind up on it being LAX & not SIN or HKG... lol

Sorry, am in a ranting mood today (work's shit! - There I've said it! & if it dont change quickly I'll have to make decisions... Work permit whatever wont stop me from leaving!!)!
Got Hong Kong on the way back too, is that another can of worms to open too??
Old Jul 27th 2009, 1:17 am
Truth is the safest lie.

Charismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: LA Stopover

Originally Posted by Matewx
Not so much bad but more of a PITA . Apparently they have got better though.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.