British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   New Zealand (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/)
-   -   Korean air - Cheap but good (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/korean-air-cheap-but-good-401979/)

StevieB Oct 13th 2006 9:34 am

Korean air - Cheap but good

Just in case anyone was wondering, because I know I was before we flew, but I found the service and comfort on our flight out with Korean Air was excellent. I'd recommend them to anyone, not least of all because they also appear to be the cheapest carriers (£1400ish for 2 adults & 1 child).

I don't know about stopover with them. We did the flight in a oner, 4 hours in Incheon (Seoul) Airport (again, very clean, well organised and all the amenities you could want, including internet cafe). :D

mcuddy1 Oct 14th 2006 10:19 pm

Re: Korean air - Cheap but good

Originally Posted by StevieB
Just in case anyone was wondering, because I know I was before we flew, but I found the service and comfort on our flight out with Korean Air was excellent. I'd recommend them to anyone, not least of all because they also appear to be the cheapest carriers (£1400ish for 2 adults & 1 child).

I don't know about stopover with them. We did the flight in a oner, 4 hours in Incheon (Seoul) Airport (again, very clean, well organised and all the amenities you could want, including internet cafe). :D

Hi Mr B.

What was the food like with this airline?, just wondering cos' we went to nz last year with malaysian airlines and thought I'd never eat another curry again after 24 hours of their meals (apart from that - great airline to travel with). :eek:

Donna

karonious Oct 15th 2006 5:47 am

4 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by mcuddy1
Hi Mr B.

What was the food like with this airline?, just wondering cos' we went to nz last year with malaysian airlines and thought I'd never eat another curry again after 24 hours of their meals (apart from that - great airline to travel with). :eek:

Donna

Hi Donna

There were no curries!! They had a choice of the 'popular' Bibimbap, national dish of shredded beef, mixed vegetables and rice, add the hot stuff to your own taste - they even had a set of instructions on how to mix the various bits of the dish you were served with! Came with seaweed soup which was VERY seaweedy! Alternatively there was a more 'european' choice of beef and vegetables. I had both (one on each leg of the journey) and preferred the Bibimbap.

Breakfast was a choice of Korean porridge or omlette. The porridge turned out to be savoury (rice porridge with pickled radish to add - don't go there!!). The omlette was fine, with sausage an tomato.

Complimentary wine with the main meals, which they came round to top up (always a plus). Dry roasted peanuts handed out almost as soon as your in the air, with fresh orange juice or water. Coffee, tea and juice available throughout the flight, no charge.

I believe that you can arrange a vegetarian meal for your flight in advance, but have no idea how that works. I thought the meals were ok, Melissa hated them (no burgers or anything resembling junk food!).

Other things....seats were wide and plenty of leg room and pitch. Blanket and pillow supplied with each seat, small bag containing flight socks, eye mask and tooth brush/paste also supplied. 2 films per flight (we didn't have PTV - they're in the process of upgrading all their planes with it, but still plenty of screens placed where you could see them). It's worth asking for a decent seat when you check in. At Heathrow we got the guy to give us a row of 4 so that one of us could lie down, the flight to Seoul never seems to be full (50 empty seats on ours), but the one out of Seoul was full.

Have included photos of the meals for you to have a look at.

Steve

Biddy Oct 16th 2006 9:14 am

Can't believe you took photos of the food!!

What was the Alsatian pie like?

StevieB Oct 16th 2006 10:22 am

Originally Posted by Biddy
Can't believe you took photos of the food!!

What was the Alsatian pie like?

Ok, first off I DIDN'T take photos of the food, I merely plagiarised them off some other sad muppet who apparently flies Korean Air for a living, taking photos of every meal on every flight they do and publishing them on the internet with marks out of 10!! (just as well really, otherwise I couldn't have plagiarised him, well done that man!!)

Anyway, they are a true depiction of the meals we had, which I thought were ok. (Although that may be why they plied us with so much wine!!??) :beer:

I refuse to eat dog, except maybe Corgi, and Jack Russell, as far as I'm concerned the world could do with far fewer of them. And remember, a dog is not just for Christmas, but makes a smashing curry on Boxing day as well!! :D Horse, on the other hand, is very good!!

chay and kerrie Oct 16th 2006 7:13 pm

Originally Posted by StevieB
Ok, first off I DIDN'T take photos of the food, I merely plagiarised them off some other sad muppet who apparently flies Korean Air for a living, taking photos of every meal on every flight they do and publishing them on the internet with marks out of 10!! (just as well really, otherwise I couldn't have plagiarised him, well done that man!!)

Anyway, they are a true depiction of the meals we had, which I thought were ok. (Although that may be why they plied us with so much wine!!??) :beer:

I refuse to eat dog, except maybe Corgi, and Jack Russell, as far as I'm concerned the world could do with far fewer of them. And remember, a dog is not just for Christmas, but makes a smashing curry on Boxing day as well!! :D Horse, on the other hand, is very good!!

Hi,
Can i just ask what date the flights were? As we have been looking and have found some flights with Singapore airlines ( which we have been told are one of the best airlines to fly with especially with children?) for the 25- 30th april 2007 2 adults and 2 children £1,114.00 which is pretty good i no its cheaper that time of year but if it saves us a lot of money than its worth it.
Kerrie

StevieB Oct 16th 2006 9:30 pm

Originally Posted by chay and kerrie
Hi,
Can i just ask what date the flights were? As we have been looking and have found some flights with Singapore airlines ( which we have been told are one of the best airlines to fly with especially with children?) for the 25- 30th april 2007 2 adults and 2 children £1,114.00 which is pretty good i no its cheaper that time of year but if it saves us a lot of money than its worth it.
Kerrie

We flew 4 Oct this year. Looks like you've got a good deal there, especially with Singapore Airlines who are meant to be the best. Singapore is apparently a great stopover too!! :D

lardyl Oct 17th 2006 11:30 pm

Mmm....was thinking about this but now that N Korea has gone nuclear (as well as going postal) I may give Soeul a miss if thats OK? :cool: