Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Knife Crime..latest..

Knife Crime..latest..

Old May 13th 2008, 4:41 pm
Just Joined

desert bloom is an unknown quantity at this point
Angry Knife Crime..latest..

I am honestly horrified by whats happening in Britain now and the sheer helplessnes that you feel when some thing like this happens!:curse:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/pages/liv...#StartComments

I've heard gang culture is a problem in NZ but surely not this bad? or is it that i'm only reading british papers?
Oxford street..thats like home for me..! i still cant get over it..:curse:
I just thought it would help ease my fears a bit of moving to nz..you know.. from the frying pan to the fire??!!
Old May 14th 2008, 1:40 am
BE Forum Addict

lapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Knife Crime..latest..

NZ has its share of violence but (and I'm about to open myself up to charges of arrogance, racism and "head in the sand") most of it is, to be blunt "maori on maori" and the vast majority happens in areas where no sensible expat would hang about. So, it's not something I would worry about too much, and certainly not a reason to avoid NZ
Old May 14th 2008, 2:42 am
BE Forum Addict

Genesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lapsed kiwi
NZ has its share of violence but (and I'm about to open myself up to charges of arrogance, racism and "head in the sand") most of it is, to be blunt "maori on maori" and the vast majority happens in areas where no sensible expat would hang about. So, it's not something I would worry about too much, and certainly not a reason to avoid NZ
What you say is very true..sad but very true. been here 3years and have never ever had or seen any trouble, either on my door step or in town. In Northampton crime was UTTERLY rife..right under our noses EVERY day.

NZ has shit loads of problems but day to day do they rarely impact on Mr and Mrs average. I feel safer here, far more than I did in Northampton.

We do have a growing violence problem, P addiction and gang issues, but life here really does seem less violent by contrast to the UK. On the whole the majority of youths appear to be reasonably respectful and so long as you know where and when to steer clear of certain places life in NZ is pretty cruisy.
Old May 14th 2008, 5:56 am
BE Enthusiast

Browner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond repute

London obviously has its problems at the moment.

But I did some research on murder rates , and statistically London is very tame compared to any large city in the US.

Whether these appalling crimes in London will represent a sharp murder rate increase over previous years I dont know.

If you are moving from London, then you will be safer coming to NZ than to the US, or many many other countries.
Old May 14th 2008, 6:00 am
Account Closed

Dustybin is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by desert bloom
I am honestly horrified by whats happening in Britain now and the sheer helplessnes that you feel when some thing like this happens!:curse:

I've heard gang culture is a problem in NZ but surely not this bad? or is it that i'm only reading british papers?
I just thought it would help ease my fears a bit of moving to nz..you know.. from the frying pan to the fire??!!
Stop reading the daily mail... it's a start!
Old May 14th 2008, 6:04 am
Just Joined

desert bloom is an unknown quantity at this point

Old May 14th 2008, 9:47 pm
BE Enthusiast

shirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond repute

I know people on here keep going on about crime in Christchurch but then I have not seen any - heard about lots, yes, but then if you are going to live in a crappy neighbourhood you will come across it. If you are going to frequent those areas at night by going to pubs and clubs and parties then yes be in for a rocky ride. Every city in every country has problems, just make sure you get someone in the know to point you to the more respectful areas to live and you shouldn't have a problem. I agree it is mainly natives causing fights etc but there are Kiwi's too. I feel safer here than I ever did back in the South West of England! Yes the south west had lots of crime too. It is a fact of life and will never be stopped no matter how hard we try as a nation to enforce this. I try not to dwell on crime - I find it easier for me to just enjoy all the country has to offer. We came here for the laid back lifestyle - that is just what you get and yes it is behind the times in lots of ways but that is why it was appealing in the first place. I am sure you will be fine here. Take what you need from the country and all will be well.
Old May 14th 2008, 10:07 pm
Forum Regular

bjddavies is just really nicebjddavies is just really nicebjddavies is just really nicebjddavies is just really nicebjddavies is just really nicebjddavies is just really nicebjddavies is just really nicebjddavies is just really nicebjddavies is just really nice

Originally Posted by desert bloom

I read the Daily Mail website and every time thank my lucky stars I emigrated when I did. American gang culture is alive and well in NZ but you are right about the perpetrators and victims except being more general it is Polynesian on Polynesian. Most of South Aucklands Polynesians are in fact Pacific Islanders and not Maori.

By not living in many parts of South Auckland, Parts of Lower Hutt in Wellington and, I believe, one suburb (Aranui?) in Christchurch you will only read about this sort of stuff in the papers and not experience it first hand.
Old May 15th 2008, 6:50 pm
BE Forum Addict

Justcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond repute

The mail is famous for its scaremongering attitude.
it really doesnt paint a fair picture.
I agree voilance and street crime levels in the are appalling and they
are one of the reasons we decided to make the move to nz.
In saying that i think if i read the mail i wouldnt be going to NZ in june as
i'd probably have topped myself years ago
Old May 15th 2008, 7:46 pm
Forum Regular

turkeys is a glorious beacon of lightturkeys is a glorious beacon of lightturkeys is a glorious beacon of lightturkeys is a glorious beacon of lightturkeys is a glorious beacon of lightturkeys is a glorious beacon of lightturkeys is a glorious beacon of lightturkeys is a glorious beacon of lightturkeys is a glorious beacon of lightturkeys is a glorious beacon of lightturkeys is a glorious beacon of light

Seems odd the Mail hasn't weaved any angle in about untrustworthy Poles nicking our jobs
Old May 15th 2008, 8:00 pm
Queen of the Underworld

Persephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond repute

turkeys
Seems odd the Mail hasn't weaved any angle in about untrustworthy Poles nicking our jobs

Of course it's not them this time! It's all down to those single teenage mothers, working older mothers, childless women, dole scroungers, all that cancer causing food we eat and don't forget the usual suspects, the asylum seekers
Old May 16th 2008, 4:28 am
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

I dunno so much about the problem being polynesian or maori. The youths that beat up a chap in our village were white Pakeha and the son of an English migrant.

The tourist group that received stab injuries in April were actually walking through a shopping mall in the City when they were attacked . See Article

I think that all we can truly say is that knife crimes can happen anywhere .
Old May 17th 2008, 7:45 am
Forum Regular

MrCFD has a brilliant futureMrCFD has a brilliant futureMrCFD has a brilliant futureMrCFD has a brilliant futureMrCFD has a brilliant futureMrCFD has a brilliant future

In terms of crime and population, Auckland is the only place to watch out for (South Auckland and Manukau in particular).

The prison population in Auckland is not proportionate to the general population compared with the rest of the country. Auckland is the largest polynesian city in the world and this is why most of the crime in NZ comes from the AKL region. Half of the prison population in wellington come from Aucklanders being shipped there and that goes for the rest of the country as well. The problem in Auckland is only going to get worse, as the courts are now under pressure not to remand or sentence prisoners as the region has a prison bed shortage of between 800 and 1000 beds. The result is, more criminals back into the community.

NZ is fine, Auckland is not.
Old May 17th 2008, 8:16 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond repute

Funny that most people that live in Auckland previously lived or come from somewhere else in NZ or overseas, but we all know only the nasty bad people stay in Auckland.

If we are going to be quoting facts about numbers of crimes and who does it, then best we get our facts right. Auckland may well have higher Pacific population than most pacific islands, however they are not the core of the prison population and the numbers from prison censuses fully demonstrate this:

http://www.corrections.govt.nz/publi...icity.html#3-2

Pacific people only make up 9.5% of the prisoners, the other 35.3% are European and 45.7% are Maori, with a few other Asian and others making up the balance.
Old May 17th 2008, 12:38 pm
BE Enthusiast

jennifer45 has a reputation beyond reputejennifer45 has a reputation beyond reputejennifer45 has a reputation beyond reputejennifer45 has a reputation beyond reputejennifer45 has a reputation beyond reputejennifer45 has a reputation beyond reputejennifer45 has a reputation beyond reputejennifer45 has a reputation beyond reputejennifer45 has a reputation beyond reputejennifer45 has a reputation beyond reputejennifer45 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BEVS here
The youths that beat up a chap in our village were white Pakeha and the son of an English migrant.
NOT MAPUA!!
OMG I cannot believe that such an idyllic settlement could have 'overt' crime!

Did the victim know his attackers? What's the background story?
Surely not a case of mindless, drunken yobs, from affluent backgrounds, looking to relieve their boredom by causing trouble.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.