Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

The KiwiSaver thread

The KiwiSaver thread

Old May 26th 2013, 3:28 am
Truth is the safest lie.

Charismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond repute
Smile The KiwiSaver thread

Financial planning can be hard, trying to figure out which scheme and provider can be a minefield.

What are you invested in at the moment? Cash/Conservative/Balanced/Growth?
Old May 26th 2013, 3:40 am
Truth is the safest lie.

Charismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: The KiwiSaver thread

Originally Posted by Charismatic
What are you invested in at the moment? Cash/Conservative/Balanced/Growth?
Back in ’08 I took a more active approach and moved my scheme from a conservative type fund at Tower to a growth fund heavily invested in global shares at ASB. It was a relatively easy decision, people where panicking and stocks where cheapish. Being youngish I have to be particularly careful in managing my money because there could be a lot of lost opportunity cost associated with picking the wrong investments.

Today when I look at the international market though I’m getting a bit jittery, share prices are high buoyed by cheap cash but there is often little fundamentals growth yet to support prices. It’s been a good 4 year run in a bull market, for those of you in on international markets are you hedging or clinging on?

I always remember that Peter Lynch saying “Bull markets run longer than you expect them to.”
Old May 26th 2013, 4:27 am
jmh
BE Forum Addict

jmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: The KiwiSaver thread

Balanced, but then I'm a Libra, so I would be.
Old May 26th 2013, 7:08 am
BE Enthusiast

Clappy has a reputation beyond reputeClappy has a reputation beyond reputeClappy has a reputation beyond reputeClappy has a reputation beyond reputeClappy has a reputation beyond reputeClappy has a reputation beyond reputeClappy has a reputation beyond reputeClappy has a reputation beyond reputeClappy has a reputation beyond reputeClappy has a reputation beyond reputeClappy has a reputation beyond repute

Mine is in growth funds at the moment.

I have more than twenty but less than thirty years to go until retirement age (unless the age changes) and I have always taken an aggressive approach to long term investments.
Old May 27th 2013, 12:14 am
Truth is the safest lie.

Originally Posted by Clappy
Mine is in growth funds at the moment.

I have more than twenty but less than thirty years to go until retirement age (unless the age changes) and I have always taken an aggressive approach to long term investments.
So you just tend to leave it in one type of investment regardless of the prevailing economic conditions? I tend to try and do a little management just to keep the return rate up.
Old May 28th 2013, 7:30 am
BE Enthusiast

Clappy has a reputation beyond reputeClappy has a reputation beyond reputeClappy has a reputation beyond reputeClappy has a reputation beyond reputeClappy has a reputation beyond reputeClappy has a reputation beyond reputeClappy has a reputation beyond reputeClappy has a reputation beyond reputeClappy has a reputation beyond reputeClappy has a reputation beyond reputeClappy has a reputation beyond repute

So you just tend to leave it in one type of investment regardless of the prevailing economic conditions? I tend to try and do a little management just to keep the return rate up.
I don't go beyond picking the type of fund based on the timeframe I am looking for a return over. So, at my age that is growth funds.

I have only been contributing to kiwisaver for two years so it is not enough money to spend a lot of time worrying about yet.

My UK pensions are a different story. They are in a QROPS scheme now but mostly invested in UK based funds. I will move them out of UK funds at some point, but not yet.

But if I knew how to make a consistent positive return on the markets then I would do that for a living rather than my current job.
Old May 28th 2013, 8:34 am
Truth is the safest lie.

Originally Posted by Clappy
But if I knew how to make a consistent positive return on the markets then I would do that for a living rather than my current job.
You and me both .
Old Mar 1st 2014, 9:02 am
Truth is the safest lie.

Wink Re: The KiwiSaver thread

Actual advise on the Kiwisaver website:
Originally Posted by Kiwisaver.govt.nz
...it can be tricky to match up the amounts taken out of your pay with the amounts going into your KiwiSaver account. But don't worry – it will all balance in the end.
Strangely I'm investigating mine at the moment as something isn't right. Maybe it's complacency but...I'd never actually checked before.
Old Mar 1st 2014, 10:08 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond repute

Actual advise on the Kiwisaver website:
That sounds so typically 'she'll be right'; they would have been better to say:

it can be tricky to match up the amounts taken out of your pay with the amounts going into your KiwiSaver account. But don't worry be happy 'cause when you worry your face will frown and that will bring everybody down, so don't worry, be happy don't worry, be happy now