Kiwisaver Scheme

Old Apr 29th 2008, 7:07 am
Forum Regular

Rock Ape has a brilliant futureRock Ape has a brilliant futureRock Ape has a brilliant futureRock Ape has a brilliant futureRock Ape has a brilliant futureRock Ape has a brilliant futureRock Ape has a brilliant futureRock Ape has a brilliant future
Default Kiwisaver Scheme

Hi,
My prospective employer is offering the opportunity to join the Kiwisaver scheme. I have looked at their website on the face of it, it looks pretty good. Does anyone have any personal experience of it and any comments about how it performs?

EOI selected on 24th April and now waiting for ITA

Thanks
Old Apr 29th 2008, 3:02 pm
Forum Regular

Rock Ape has a brilliant futureRock Ape has a brilliant futureRock Ape has a brilliant futureRock Ape has a brilliant futureRock Ape has a brilliant futureRock Ape has a brilliant futureRock Ape has a brilliant futureRock Ape has a brilliant future
Default Re: Kiwisaver Scheme

No takers?
Old Apr 29th 2008, 3:10 pm
Forum Regular

Dezza will become famous soon enoughDezza will become famous soon enough

Sorry can't help cos I'm still in UK so no personal experience. If employer matches your contribution then has to be worth considering?
Old Apr 29th 2008, 3:35 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks Dezza - I think it looks quite good but useful to get feedback.
Old Apr 29th 2008, 4:46 pm
BE Enthusiast

newkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Rock Ape
Hi,
My prospective employer is offering the opportunity to join the Kiwisaver scheme. I have looked at their website on the face of it, it looks pretty good. Does anyone have any personal experience of it and any comments about how it performs?

EOI selected on 24th April and now waiting for ITA

Thanks
I think the general consensus is that its better to opt in as soon as possible.
Old Apr 29th 2008, 5:04 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks very much for the input. I'm going out in about 4 weeks so it is useful to have some advanced knowledge.
Old Apr 29th 2008, 6:56 pm
Happy in Wellington

RobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond repute

You get enrolled automatically when you start a new job and you have 12 weeks to opt out if you like.
You get s $1000 starting bonus and tax relief up to about $1200 a year. You pay either 4% or 8% of your salary (standard is 4%) Also the employer pays 1%, going up to 2% next year, 3% the following and finally 4% in 2008
If you decide to leave NZ you can get your money back out but you lose the tax relief bits and signing bonus.

The only disadvantage I can see is that it's locked to the retirement age - which is 65 at the moment - so no early retirement. And if the decide to change the retirement age in future to 70, for example, your plan changes too.
Old Apr 29th 2008, 7:07 pm
Maz

Maz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond repute

If you don't have PR, you can't join it. Just so you know.

Am watching the morning news on TV One, and they just had a news piece that many Kiwis don't trust the scheme enough yet. My take is that it's still so new.
Old Apr 29th 2008, 8:27 pm
Happy in Wellington

RobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond repute

True but compared to a kiwi pension the money builds up a little bit faster.
Old Apr 29th 2008, 8:30 pm
BE Forum Addict

cappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond repute

There are management fees which could effectively wipe out some advantage and no guarantees of getting 100% of investment back. Lots of people are saying its better to invest in bank savings schemes (some offering 9%) to guarantee full return.

Also, see my thread on unscrupulous employers taking their contribution directly from the employees salary!
Old Apr 30th 2008, 5:59 am
Maz

Maz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond repute

Heard a little snippet today (we only just got PR so I've really not researched KiwiSaver much before now, no point) at work - the government taxes you on the interest earned. Nice.
Old Apr 30th 2008, 6:36 pm
Account Closed

Yotty is an unknown quantity at this point

Yes Maz the profits of the fund are taxed. http://www.kiwisaver.govt.nz/kiwisaver-schemes/ bit of a bummer ..
Old Apr 30th 2008, 7:31 pm
Forum Regular

Yes, I hear you but most pensions are taxed (UK state pension for one) so nothing earth-shattering there. Having done the on-line calculation, the gross return at 65 looks pretty healthy.
Old Apr 30th 2008, 7:35 pm
Account Closed

Yotty is an unknown quantity at this point

UK pensions aren't normally taxed on money you put in, or on the growth of the fund. Obviously the income is taxed when you choose to draw it.
Old Apr 30th 2008, 8:40 pm
Happy in Wellington

But in NZ everything's taxed

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.