Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

KIWIsaver getting shitter?

KIWIsaver getting shitter?

Old Sep 23rd 2011, 12:21 am
Truth is the safest lie.

Charismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond repute
Unhappy KIWIsaver getting shitter?

Got an e-mail saying:
The proposed changes may be summarised as:
  • Taxation of the employer's contributions to employees' KiwiSaver accounts effective from 1 April 2012.
  • Decrease in the Member Tax Credits (MTCs) subsidy paid by the Government effective from 30 June 2012.
  • Increase in the minimum workplace contributions required to be paid by both employers and employees effective from 1 April 2013
I might rethink my KIWIsaver contributions if it's not tax efficient anymore, it already comes with hang-ups through having no direct control of your investment. What do you think?
Old Sep 23rd 2011, 5:41 am
`

BEVS has disabled reputation
Default Re: KIWIsaver getting shitter?

We decided not to bother with Kiwisaver in the end, even with the 'start-up' incentive. That's because government always seem to change the schemes , making them less attractive . These days, we prefer to be able to have much more say in what happens to any funds we may have salted away.
Old Sep 23rd 2011, 6:56 am
Banned

Expat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond repute

Government pensions schemes are invariably for their benefit and not yours, there's nothing to stop them dipping-in when it suits them, or changing the rules in their favour when they've other things to pay for (earthquakes for instance)
Old Sep 23rd 2011, 6:58 am
`

That's my feeling entirely. Seen it all before elsewhere. This one has been quick to change it's tune though. Not so much a gift - more a bond
Old Sep 23rd 2011, 7:32 am
Truth is the safest lie.

Charismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond repute

But isn’t the KiwiSaver account with private companies rather than a good old fashion Ponzi scheme?
Old Sep 23rd 2011, 7:56 am
Truth is the safest lie.

Smile Re: KIWIsaver getting shitter?

Originally Posted by BEVS
We decided not to bother with Kiwisaver in the end, even with the 'start-up' incentive.
Surely worth a bit of opt in and out again for the first $1k added to your pension has to be worth it for filling in a few documents.

Thats the thing with the contributions as well, your employer will have to contribute 3%...and stuff. The rate of ROI in the first year is very high because of this and double for subsequent years...in effect...if ya see what I mean.
Old Sep 23rd 2011, 8:10 am
`

I do. But. Husband opting in makes him more expensive to keep than another plumber not opting in... if you see what I mean.

Best not.
Old Sep 23rd 2011, 8:36 am
jmh
BE Forum Addict

jmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Charismatic
Surely worth a bit of opt in and out again for the first $1k added to your pension has to be worth it for filling in a few documents.

Thats the thing with the contributions as well, your employer will have to contribute 3%...and stuff. The rate of ROI in the first year is very high because of this and double for subsequent years...in effect...if ya see what I mean.
That was my thinking too. And my mum said it was a good idea.
Old Sep 23rd 2011, 9:49 am
BE Enthusiast

chc4me has a reputation beyond reputechc4me has a reputation beyond reputechc4me has a reputation beyond reputechc4me has a reputation beyond reputechc4me has a reputation beyond reputechc4me has a reputation beyond reputechc4me has a reputation beyond reputechc4me has a reputation beyond reputechc4me has a reputation beyond reputechc4me has a reputation beyond reputechc4me has a reputation beyond repute

So if I put in 2% of my salary, my employer puts in 2% as well? Plus the govt adds another $512 at the end of the year? Hhhmmmm .....

I joined a Kiwisaver scheme that allows me to pick and choose the investments, not that the share market has helped my returns! But with what my employer has put in, the bonuses from the govt, I'm still way ahead.

Each to their own.
Old Sep 23rd 2011, 10:28 am
`

Not really. Each to keep their own employment safe to be cost effective.
You , on the other hand , are self employed are you not.
Old Sep 23rd 2011, 11:30 am
Truth is the safest lie.

Originally Posted by chc4me
I joined a Kiwisaver scheme that allows me to pick and choose the investments
...Oh! I didn't know you could do that, mine only lets me choose which rate they will devalue my investments at (i.e. to choose between funds). Who are you with can I ask?
Old Sep 24th 2011, 5:51 am
By name and by nature

Batty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by chc4me
So if I put in 2% of my salary, my employer puts in 2% as well? Plus the govt adds another $512 at the end of the year? Hhhmmmm .....

I joined a Kiwisaver scheme that allows me to pick and choose the investments, not that the share market has helped my returns! But with what my employer has put in, the bonuses from the govt, I'm still way ahead.

Each to their own.
Or, you put in 2% of your salary, your employer puts in 2% of your salary and you don't get a pay rise until such time as pay rises have risen above 2% so you are paying the employer's contribution as well as your own and you might in effect be paying 4% out of the same wage for years. Because that's the way it works with many companies, even though it's supposed to be not quite legal to do it.
Old Sep 24th 2011, 9:32 am
BE Enthusiast

chocolate cake has a reputation beyond reputechocolate cake has a reputation beyond reputechocolate cake has a reputation beyond reputechocolate cake has a reputation beyond reputechocolate cake has a reputation beyond reputechocolate cake has a reputation beyond reputechocolate cake has a reputation beyond reputechocolate cake has a reputation beyond reputechocolate cake has a reputation beyond reputechocolate cake has a reputation beyond reputechocolate cake has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Charismatic
Got an e-mail saying:

I might rethink my KIWIsaver contributions if it's not tax efficient anymore, it already comes with hang-ups through having no direct control of your investment. What do you think?

Yep, no doubt the incentives for Kiwisaver are being drastically reduced, 2 and 3 you mention were clear in the Govt's Budget Announcement earlier in the year the other was hidden in small print.

As the members tax credit from govt is annually based and runs to June 2012, it's effectively already been reduced.

That said I don't think there's any advantage from stopping contributions, or not joining if haven't already done. Unfortunately there's no orther tax efficient saving in NZ except for those owning 2nd and 3rd homes having no capital gains tax to pay.

Also it's private companies that run the schemes not the govt. You've choice where it goes.

Only disad is that you can't access the money til your 65', so the there's no incentive to put in more than to get to get tax credits and employer's contribution.

Re: pensions, the govt (& Labour the same) are being disingenuous in refusing to raise the pension age. It's bound to go up as the country can't afford it, Australian & practically all European govts have raised the age.
Old Sep 24th 2011, 3:12 pm
Truth is the safest lie.

Originally Posted by chocolate cake
Re: pensions, the govt (& Labour the same) are being disingenuous in refusing to raise the pension age. It's bound to go up as the country can't afford it, Australian & practically all European govts have raised the age.
I'm not sure if the old codgers are up to working past 65, would companies be willing to drag on old paperweights on a few more years? It sounds good to say "Let's get another 3+ years out of people before they retire" but it seems unlikely they will be doing their best work, after all they entered the workforce in the early 1960's before men had went to the moon and while Kennedy was still president.

We don't have a compulsory retirement age anyway do we? Companies have to "restructure" people out of jobs instead.
Old Sep 24th 2011, 9:14 pm
jmh
BE Forum Addict

jmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond repute

I agree that the age probably will go up, but I'm not sure I think it is a good thing for the economy. We have high youth unemployment (as do many other countries right now) and increasing the retirement age will create a bottle neck at the top for jobs. Thus more young people on the dole with the attendant costs and social problems. Many people, like my mum at 71, love their jobs and plan to stay, but many others are counting down the hours to the day they can get their super.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.