Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Kiwisaver on a 3 year work visa?

Kiwisaver on a 3 year work visa?

Old Dec 13th 2014, 8:17 am
Forum Regular

darbydoo has much to be proud ofdarbydoo has much to be proud ofdarbydoo has much to be proud ofdarbydoo has much to be proud ofdarbydoo has much to be proud ofdarbydoo has much to be proud ofdarbydoo has much to be proud ofdarbydoo has much to be proud ofdarbydoo has much to be proud ofdarbydoo has much to be proud ofdarbydoo has much to be proud of
Default Kiwisaver on a 3 year work visa?

I've had some great news this week that I have a job! Skype interviews are great fun.

I've had all the paperwork through and there is lots of info about the kiwisaver. Looking in the website, it looks as though I wouldn't be eligible for this on a work visa. Is that right?

If so, will I need to complete the opt out form, or will I not be automatically enrolled due to visa status?

If I complete the opt out form, will I then be able to start it up if and when we get residency? And will I still get the $1000 goverent start up contribution?

Thank you.
Old Dec 13th 2014, 9:52 am
Nz

moving2NZ2013 has a reputation beyond reputemoving2NZ2013 has a reputation beyond reputemoving2NZ2013 has a reputation beyond reputemoving2NZ2013 has a reputation beyond reputemoving2NZ2013 has a reputation beyond reputemoving2NZ2013 has a reputation beyond reputemoving2NZ2013 has a reputation beyond reputemoving2NZ2013 has a reputation beyond reputemoving2NZ2013 has a reputation beyond reputemoving2NZ2013 has a reputation beyond reputemoving2NZ2013 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Kiwisaver on a 3 year work visa?

My husband can't enrol on kiwi saver as he isn't a resident. He didn't complete opt out form.
Old Dec 13th 2014, 1:47 pm
Forum Regular

Timmy Chch has a reputation beyond reputeTimmy Chch has a reputation beyond reputeTimmy Chch has a reputation beyond reputeTimmy Chch has a reputation beyond reputeTimmy Chch has a reputation beyond reputeTimmy Chch has a reputation beyond reputeTimmy Chch has a reputation beyond reputeTimmy Chch has a reputation beyond reputeTimmy Chch has a reputation beyond reputeTimmy Chch has a reputation beyond reputeTimmy Chch has a reputation beyond repute

If you get offered the forms, sign up. You'll go on the scheme anyway but get it back at worst. If you're going to stay and get residency one day and you get offered the forms (and crucially get accepted) then it's a no brainer, go for it. Worst that can happen is they say no, or you could score a few years advantage. Don't try you don't get...
Old Dec 13th 2014, 6:12 pm

Location: Wellington - I miss Castles, the NHS & English school system
MrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond repute

you need to be on resident status:

You can join KiwiSaver if you're:

a New Zealand citizen, or entitled to live in New Zealand indefinitely, and
living or normally living in New Zealand (with some exceptions), and
below the age of eligibility for NZ Super (currently 65).

You can't join KiwiSaver if you're:

holding a temporary, visitor, work or student permit
living overseas, unless you're a government employee:
serving outside New Zealand, and
employed on New Zealand terms and conditions, and
serving in a jurisdiction where offers of KiwiSaver scheme membership are lawful.

taken from Who can join?
Old Dec 14th 2014, 8:52 pm
BE Enthusiast

Tom H has a reputation beyond reputeTom H has a reputation beyond reputeTom H has a reputation beyond reputeTom H has a reputation beyond reputeTom H has a reputation beyond reputeTom H has a reputation beyond reputeTom H has a reputation beyond reputeTom H has a reputation beyond reputeTom H has a reputation beyond reputeTom H has a reputation beyond reputeTom H has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by darbydoo
I've had some great news this week that I have a job! Skype interviews are great fun.

I've had all the paperwork through and there is lots of info about the kiwisaver. Looking in the website, it looks as though I wouldn't be eligible for this on a work visa. Is that right?

If so, will I need to complete the opt out form, or will I not be automatically enrolled due to visa status?

If I complete the opt out form, will I then be able to start it up if and when we get residency? And will I still get the $1000 goverent start up contribution?

Thank you.
The $1000 always happens when you start kiwisaver. So when you get residency and can be enrolled on it, then you'll get the start

So don't worry about not getting the money due to not being eligible at the moment. You will receive it in 3 years time or when you become a resident of NZ.
Old Dec 14th 2014, 9:02 pm
Forum Regular

darbydoo has much to be proud ofdarbydoo has much to be proud ofdarbydoo has much to be proud ofdarbydoo has much to be proud ofdarbydoo has much to be proud ofdarbydoo has much to be proud ofdarbydoo has much to be proud ofdarbydoo has much to be proud ofdarbydoo has much to be proud ofdarbydoo has much to be proud ofdarbydoo has much to be proud of

Ok cheers everyone!

I'll let my employer know not to enrol me