Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Are Kiwis the worst drivers in the world?

Are Kiwis the worst drivers in the world?

Old Nov 15th 2005, 3:22 am
Isle of Wight Chick

silvermuse has a brilliant futuresilvermuse has a brilliant futuresilvermuse has a brilliant futuresilvermuse has a brilliant futuresilvermuse has a brilliant futuresilvermuse has a brilliant future
Default Are Kiwis the worst drivers in the world?

Just want to know what u all think about kiwis being absolutley horrendous on the roads. my aunt is so scared of their driving that she refuses to drive here. they are maniacs and no wonder they have the highest motor deaths in the whole world!!
Old Nov 15th 2005, 7:02 am
sky
Banned

sky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Are Kiwis the worst drivers in the world?

I'll have to have a word with me son
Old Nov 15th 2005, 7:04 am
sky
Banned

sky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond repute

I seriously think there are some very bad drivers here!
Old Nov 15th 2005, 7:08 am
Forum Regular

Herm has a brilliant futureHerm has a brilliant futureHerm has a brilliant futureHerm has a brilliant futureHerm has a brilliant futureHerm has a brilliant futureHerm has a brilliant futureHerm has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by sky
I seriously think there are some very bad drivers here!
I don't need to think - I know from experience that kiwis are the worst drivers in the world.
Old Nov 15th 2005, 7:34 am

P18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond repute

Oh yes they really are bad, but my wife is learning their ways too quickly.
Old Nov 15th 2005, 8:19 am
me eds a shed

COWBOY_BUILDER has a reputation beyond reputeCOWBOY_BUILDER has a reputation beyond reputeCOWBOY_BUILDER has a reputation beyond reputeCOWBOY_BUILDER has a reputation beyond reputeCOWBOY_BUILDER has a reputation beyond reputeCOWBOY_BUILDER has a reputation beyond reputeCOWBOY_BUILDER has a reputation beyond reputeCOWBOY_BUILDER has a reputation beyond reputeCOWBOY_BUILDER has a reputation beyond reputeCOWBOY_BUILDER has a reputation beyond reputeCOWBOY_BUILDER has a reputation beyond repute

If you have ever driven in Turkey ,India or Central America :scared: ,i think you would be very happy with the standard i NZ....
Old Nov 15th 2005, 8:26 am
Naked and lightly greased

Dappadee is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by COWBOY_BUILDER
If you have ever driven in Turkey ,India or Central America :scared: ,i think you would be very happy with the standard i NZ....
Indeed, and don't forget Nepal and Pakistan.
Old Nov 15th 2005, 8:47 am
BE Forum Addict

lapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by COWBOY_BUILDER
I'd agree - if you think NZ is bad, you need to get out more. We drove from Christchurch to Auckland the first week we were here, and my memories of NZ driving weren't spoiled too much. You don't get the idiots who drive at 40 mph no matter what, regardless of the queues behind them, and there is room to overtake when you need to. Also, kiwis use all the lanes available and merge sensibly where required, instead of the ridiculous queuing then bargeing you get in the UK. Having said that, my introduction to the Auckland motorway was getting cut up by some hoon doing about 160kph and using the lanes as a slalom course, and I've seen a few similar examples since. On the whole though, I'd rather commute on the Auckland motorway than the M4, M25 or M27, and if you can avoid AKL, it's even better
Old Nov 15th 2005, 8:58 am
Kiwi livin' and lovin' it

Location: Was England. Then Germany.Tried Spain. NZ now and NOT moving!
the turner family has a brilliant futurethe turner family has a brilliant futurethe turner family has a brilliant futurethe turner family has a brilliant futurethe turner family has a brilliant futurethe turner family has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by silvermuse
Just want to know what u all think about kiwis being absolutley horrendous on the roads. my aunt is so scared of their driving that she refuses to drive here. they are maniacs and no wonder they have the highest motor deaths in the whole world!!
The standard of driving here is nowhere near as bad as Spain. Apparently the local police have a code when they pull over a bad driver - DBA - Driven By Asian. The few times I have been cut up or seen really bad driving it has been a Asian so maybe it is a matter of adapting to the road system and laws here???

Don't want to be accused of being a racist - I am not. Just saying what I have seen.

Thanks

Matt

Oh yes the turning left / giving way to the right law is absolutely crazy.
Old Nov 15th 2005, 9:56 am
BE Enthusiast

babybella has a reputation beyond reputebabybella has a reputation beyond reputebabybella has a reputation beyond reputebabybella has a reputation beyond reputebabybella has a reputation beyond reputebabybella has a reputation beyond reputebabybella has a reputation beyond reputebabybella has a reputation beyond reputebabybella has a reputation beyond reputebabybella has a reputation beyond reputebabybella has a reputation beyond repute

I give up, Kiwi's are the worst drivers in the world, the weather is crap, the houses are crap, everybody is poor, crime is rife, wages are terrrible and you will all have to steal wood to keep warm and probably starve.

SO NOBODY BOTHER TO GO THERE!
KAZ signing off from this depressing site.
Old Nov 15th 2005, 11:32 am
Nice Tats

Pompey_Paul is a glorious beacon of lightPompey_Paul is a glorious beacon of lightPompey_Paul is a glorious beacon of lightPompey_Paul is a glorious beacon of lightPompey_Paul is a glorious beacon of lightPompey_Paul is a glorious beacon of lightPompey_Paul is a glorious beacon of lightPompey_Paul is a glorious beacon of lightPompey_Paul is a glorious beacon of lightPompey_Paul is a glorious beacon of lightPompey_Paul is a glorious beacon of light

Sri Lankan's ......rule of the road is that the biggest vehicle has right of way.....terrifying
Old Nov 15th 2005, 11:33 am
Nice Tats

Pompey_Paul is a glorious beacon of lightPompey_Paul is a glorious beacon of lightPompey_Paul is a glorious beacon of lightPompey_Paul is a glorious beacon of lightPompey_Paul is a glorious beacon of lightPompey_Paul is a glorious beacon of lightPompey_Paul is a glorious beacon of lightPompey_Paul is a glorious beacon of lightPompey_Paul is a glorious beacon of lightPompey_Paul is a glorious beacon of lightPompey_Paul is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by kaz Hen
I give up, Kiwi's are the worst drivers in the world, the weather is crap, the houses are crap, everybody is poor, crime is rife, wages are terrrible and you will all have to steal wood to keep warm and probably starve.

SO NOBODY BOTHER TO GO THERE!
KAZ signing off from this depressing site.

You have just described Southampton
Old Nov 15th 2005, 6:50 pm
Forum Regular

Location: I'm a Brit who's lived in Auckland for the last 2 years
NZ Climber has a brilliant futureNZ Climber has a brilliant futureNZ Climber has a brilliant futureNZ Climber has a brilliant futureNZ Climber has a brilliant futureNZ Climber has a brilliant futureNZ Climber has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by silvermuse
Just out of interest, can you substantiate your statistics? Because this page:

http://www.driveandstayalive.com/inf...apita-2004.htm

Shows NZ to be about twice as bad as the UK (when you do it per capita which is the only reasonably way) but nowhere near as bad as say, Iran (4 times worse than NZ!)...

And just in case you think big countries are safe, think again, the USA is three times as bad as the UK (so half again as bad as NZ)...

And no, the Kiwis aren't the worst drivers in the world, the worst drivers in the world are the Nepalese.
Old Nov 15th 2005, 10:51 pm
Forum Regular

frecka is on a distinguished road

I came out of retirement to answer this!
When we decided to drive round NZ the scare stories about kiwi drivers terrified me, and I initiatied many threads on this forum to be reassured.
Having driven an unwieldy camper van the length and breadth of NZ i have to say that the drivers are a heck of a lot more polite and appreciative than I could have wished for - we only had one incident of road rage in Rotorura - the guy pretended to phone someone with our number plate ...I wanted to tell him he needed to be a bit more creative to frighten people from Belfast !

Now the roads are a whole new ball game! I still have nightmares about driving that Wellington - Hutt Road in the driving rain....

In fact lots of people were over and above the call of politeness and helpfulness- we found that a lot in NZ.

We decided that NZ wasn't for us, beautiful country, wonderful people though.
Old Nov 15th 2005, 10:55 pm
Isle of Wight Chick

silvermuse has a brilliant futuresilvermuse has a brilliant futuresilvermuse has a brilliant futuresilvermuse has a brilliant futuresilvermuse has a brilliant futuresilvermuse has a brilliant future

i have recently done a documentary on speeding for my media studies class and when i was researching for my information a while back now, NZ had one of the highest rates in the world of crashes due to speed, intoxicated drivers and general poor observation. i have just read in the local newspaper today that canterbury has one of the poorest driving skills.
i only have to get into my car to see how crap the driving is here. and considering i have only lived here for nearly a year and a half, i have lost several friends due to car crashes and many others have barely escaped from crashes.
what does everyone think about the age for obtaining a licence is 15? do you think the restricted level helps in any way or is it just another money making scheme?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.