Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Kiwis moving to Australia at 19-year high

Kiwis moving to Australia at 19-year high

Old Dec 21st 2007, 11:23 am

Nerine is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Kiwis moving to Australia at 19-year high

Avid we had money in NZ and were bored ****less, no future for the kids, no career prospects, dodgy weather, too much of the "Bro" culture, living not in God's own but in his waiting room . I could go on but there's no point.

We've all been together in Oz for a month and our quality of life has improved beyond our expectations, and we haven't even got going yet. Maybe if I'd lived in Japan for as long as you I'd feel that way about New Zealand too, enjoy it .
Old Dec 21st 2007, 11:34 am

Avid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Nerine
Maybe if I'd lived in Japan for as long as you I'd feel that way about New Zealand too, enjoy it .

Yes, that's possibly true...both NZ and/or Oz are a 'step-up' in lifestyle from Japan (not in terms of money, of course...the Japanese could buy either country for fun) but, as I said, Australia is perhaps better for the younger and poorer expat (as immigration stats seem to indicate) than NZ.

You have to be rich and/or love the outdoors to live in NZ.

Or daft!
Old Dec 21st 2007, 11:40 am

Originally Posted by Avid
Yes, that's possibly true...both NZ and/or Oz are a 'step-up' in lifestyle from Japan (not in terms of money, of course...the Japanese could buy either country for fun) but, as I said, Australia is perhaps better for the younger and poorer expat (as immigration stats seem to indicate) than NZ.

You have to be rich and/or love the outdoors to live in NZ.

Or daft!
2 out of 3 ain't bad!

p.s. I think the Malaysians and Koreans beat them to it.
Old Dec 21st 2007, 11:53 am
BE Forum Addict

crap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond repute

why Koreans?

p.s. I think the Malaysians and Koreans beat them to it.[/QUOTE]
Old Dec 21st 2007, 12:55 pm
BE Enthusiast

Ian & Sharon has a reputation beyond reputeIan & Sharon has a reputation beyond reputeIan & Sharon has a reputation beyond reputeIan & Sharon has a reputation beyond reputeIan & Sharon has a reputation beyond reputeIan & Sharon has a reputation beyond reputeIan & Sharon has a reputation beyond reputeIan & Sharon has a reputation beyond reputeIan & Sharon has a reputation beyond reputeIan & Sharon has a reputation beyond reputeIan & Sharon has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lardyl
yeah, reading tooooo many of those pages I found (and it may be an overgeneralisation but its what I noticed) that the "converts" to Oz/NZ were the most heated in suggesting that anyone with a negative view should go back where they came from.......
Maybe its the ex-smoker syndrome.................

Because nobody want's to be proven wrong!

If I moved to Argentina....... well that's better than NZ
Can you prove it's not............NO!
I can cos I live there!!!!!!!!!!!!!
You know what I mean?

I live in OZ, yep its cool but so was NZ, I just live here because its better for me and mine, not that it's a better Country

Saying that me 5 year old lad will thank me when he's older

Off to be bose now
Old Dec 21st 2007, 6:46 pm
BE Enthusiast

phil01 is a splendid one to beholdphil01 is a splendid one to beholdphil01 is a splendid one to beholdphil01 is a splendid one to beholdphil01 is a splendid one to beholdphil01 is a splendid one to beholdphil01 is a splendid one to beholdphil01 is a splendid one to beholdphil01 is a splendid one to beholdphil01 is a splendid one to beholdphil01 is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Ian & Sharon
To be honest we have found you do get more for your money out here.

We bought a 4 bed 2 bathroom house on 800sqm for $480AUS, now this is were its different! If you come out of the front door turn left and count to ten your at the beach, the lad has caught many a fish there. We could not afford to do that in both Auckland and ChCh.

So no not really.
I think it comes down to location location...we bought a section and have plans for a 4 bed 2 bath double garage single level house that backs onto the golf course, sliding doors for the whole rear aspect looking at mount manaia, golf course and lakes is 5 mins to the beach total cost in NZD is 390. No you wouldn't get that in Auckland or Chch but in Northland...no problem! Quote for a pool and landscaping $30k.

In terms of salaries in the UK I was $26k a year here I am on $84 = better off!! but I hasten to add I have a great job, great organisation and I know I wouldn't get that in Oz...having lived there for 13 years before (Perth) ...so it's luck of the draw!

Debbie
Old Dec 21st 2007, 11:29 pm
BE Forum Addict

Bellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond repute

Avid we had money in NZ and were bored ****less, no future for the kids, no career prospects, dodgy weather, too much of the "Bro" culture, living not in God's own but in his waiting room . I could go on but there's no point.

We've all been together in Oz for a month and our quality of life has improved beyond our expectations, and we haven't even got going yet. Maybe if I'd lived in Japan for as long as you I'd feel that way about New Zealand too, enjoy it .
too much of the "Bro" culture,

You and Aus will be a perfect match Nerine ... enjoy
Old Dec 21st 2007, 11:40 pm
BE Enthusiast

phil01 is a splendid one to beholdphil01 is a splendid one to beholdphil01 is a splendid one to beholdphil01 is a splendid one to beholdphil01 is a splendid one to beholdphil01 is a splendid one to beholdphil01 is a splendid one to beholdphil01 is a splendid one to beholdphil01 is a splendid one to beholdphil01 is a splendid one to beholdphil01 is a splendid one to behold

You've only been there a month? Wow with the way you comment I thought you had been there a while...oh now I get it...seems you are trying to convince yourself you have made the right decision.

As you are an Oz newbie..good luck Nerine....
Old Dec 22nd 2007, 12:19 am
BE Forum Addict

Rascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond repute

The guy from Allied said he heard it was 800 per week leaving NZ mainly for OZ.
He said 2000 people per week were landing in Brisbane from all over the world.
Old Dec 22nd 2007, 1:41 am
Maz

Maz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rascal
Good news! I hate overcrowding. Just moved here from a city with 10 million in it. Bloody awful!
Old Dec 22nd 2007, 1:51 am

Vim Fuego is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Rascal
And they all still stuck in traffic.

Just a few numbers for the interested ...

The migration for the whole of Australia for 2005-06 was 131,600, taking away the people that leave, the net permanent figure is around 64,000.
Old Dec 22nd 2007, 1:59 am

Up at 8am this morning then off down the Surfclub for brekkie and a session on the beach. By the time we left just before lunch time it was already 31 degrees and we needed jandals/flip flops/thongs - take your pick - to walk on the sand.

Have decided to buy boards for the kids and not wait for theirs to arrive. There are some mega sized surf shops near the Stockland Centre so may slip out later and get them for Christmas morning.

This was North Burleigh at around 9am, some organised childrens surf activities going on so the beach was a bit busy
Attached Thumbnails Kiwis moving to Australia at 19-year high-img_1998.jpg   Kiwis moving to Australia at 19-year high-img_1999.jpg  
Old Dec 22nd 2007, 2:03 am

Originally Posted by crap coffee
why Koreans?

p.s. I think the Malaysians and Koreans beat them to it.
[/quote]

Lots of well off Koreans buying into Auckland at the moment for some reason. They are buying up tracts of land all the way up highway 16.
Old Dec 22nd 2007, 3:17 am

happynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nice

Lots of well off Koreans buying into Auckland at the moment for some reason. They are buying up tracts of land all the way up highway 16.
Same here in Christchurch. Avonhead seems to be a popular suburb with well-heeled Korean immigrants. Avonhead isn't a Korean enclave or 'ghetto' as such though. Neighbourhoods here in Christchurch aren't really racially or ethnically identifiable (having said that, Christchurch is overwhelmingly white European). One would tend to find more Pacific Islanders and Maori in some of the eastern suburbs like Aranui and Wainoni, but still most neighbourhoods are more socio-economic class based than race based.
Old Dec 22nd 2007, 3:30 am

North Shore has a good number of white Europeans too, the other major racial group comprises of Asians but there are a few spots where a fair few Maori families live. Other areas of Auckland - such as parts of Waitakere - have populations that are heavily dominated by Maori and Pacific Island people.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.