Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Kiwis moving to Australia at 19-year high

Kiwis moving to Australia at 19-year high

Old Dec 20th 2007, 9:19 pm

Nerine is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Kiwis moving to Australia at 19-year high

Originally Posted by Ian & Sharon
Sorry but I do find that very hard to believe, I could be wrong (I usually am)
Maybe you're not, it's hard to put an exact figure on it because outflow from non citizens is probably not counted. From the Stats.gov.nz website:

In 2006 the net inflow of permanent and long term residents was 14,600 - net inflow of 10,900 from the UK & 11,400 from Asia. (why those don't add up I don't know)

There was a net outflow of 20,700 to Australia.

There were net outflows in the 20-24 and 50-54 age groups and net inflows in the other age groups.

Ian, we couldn't see a future in NZ for our kids either so I can understand why your friends did what they did.
Old Dec 20th 2007, 11:00 pm
Forum Regular

waynepfry is a splendid one to beholdwaynepfry is a splendid one to beholdwaynepfry is a splendid one to beholdwaynepfry is a splendid one to beholdwaynepfry is a splendid one to beholdwaynepfry is a splendid one to beholdwaynepfry is a splendid one to beholdwaynepfry is a splendid one to beholdwaynepfry is a splendid one to beholdwaynepfry is a splendid one to beholdwaynepfry is a splendid one to behold

I believe the figures come from the airport slips you hand in when you leave NZ and they cover all residents whether on a work permit, PR, Citizenship, etc
Bearing in mind a lot of people move to NZ as a springboard to Australia as it's easier to get in - this is a particularly popular route with South Africans.

Australia is a natural choice for Kiwis to move to - perceived better wages, better quality of life, lower taxes, 'better' climate - and I can understand why people move. However not everyone stays and some do come back - the grass is not always greener.

We recently went for a holiday to the Gold Coast. I thought it was like Blackpool with a bit of razmataz. It was too hot, you couldn't swim in most parts of the sea, we were warned not to go in the river because of the bullsharks, the food wasn't as good as NZ, it was too brash - I could go on but suffice to say we were not impressed. Not that I'm saying I'm right as lots of people rave about the Gold Coast so my opinion could well be in the minority.

Yes the taxes are higher here and in Auckland the property prices are probably higher. (Personally my salary wouldn't be any higher in Australia). However I've not seen anything of Australia so far that would tempt me over there.

In NZ you've got arguably the best coastline in the world, stunning beaches, great outdoors, a laid-back lifestyle and opportunities to do almost anything (where else can you see a volcanoes, whales, dolphins, go skiiing, go fishing in world class waters, lay on a beach etc, etc - all a car ride away)? Yes I know NZ has it's bad points but I wouldn't swap my little part of NZ for anything and count myself very lucky to be here.
Old Dec 20th 2007, 11:52 pm
BE Forum Addict

Jude J is a splendid one to beholdJude J is a splendid one to beholdJude J is a splendid one to beholdJude J is a splendid one to beholdJude J is a splendid one to beholdJude J is a splendid one to beholdJude J is a splendid one to beholdJude J is a splendid one to beholdJude J is a splendid one to beholdJude J is a splendid one to beholdJude J is a splendid one to behold

I'm with you on the Gold Coast thing Waynepfry. Well, Surfers anyway, I'm told other areas are beautiful. We went there last year, stayed in Main Beach. We only went there because we had family from England that were there on holiday. My kiwi friends here raved about it, some go every year. I thought it was awful. The people were on the most part rude and arrogant, I was quite shocked.
We did hire a car and go for a little drive into the Hinterland which was lovely, but we didn't really want to leave our air-conditioned car.

Its all relative anyway, I dont think a few extra bucks in wages are enough to put up with the negatives in Australia.
I'd much rather live here and just have the odd holiday there. As for my children, well, they will go where they want I guess. I doubt that my parents could have guessed that 3 out of their 4 children would move permanently away from the UK.
Old Dec 21st 2007, 12:50 am
BE Enthusiast

brussels_sprout is a splendid one to beholdbrussels_sprout is a splendid one to beholdbrussels_sprout is a splendid one to beholdbrussels_sprout is a splendid one to beholdbrussels_sprout is a splendid one to beholdbrussels_sprout is a splendid one to beholdbrussels_sprout is a splendid one to beholdbrussels_sprout is a splendid one to beholdbrussels_sprout is a splendid one to beholdbrussels_sprout is a splendid one to beholdbrussels_sprout is a splendid one to behold

I have seen similar articles about exoduses and brain drains from Oz too.
http://www.humanresourcesmagazine.co...1&Category=905
Old Dec 21st 2007, 1:44 am
BE Enthusiast

Ian & Sharon has a reputation beyond reputeIan & Sharon has a reputation beyond reputeIan & Sharon has a reputation beyond reputeIan & Sharon has a reputation beyond reputeIan & Sharon has a reputation beyond reputeIan & Sharon has a reputation beyond reputeIan & Sharon has a reputation beyond reputeIan & Sharon has a reputation beyond reputeIan & Sharon has a reputation beyond reputeIan & Sharon has a reputation beyond reputeIan & Sharon has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jude J
Its all relative anyway, I dont think a few extra bucks in wages are enough to put up with the negatives in Australia.

Yer but 3 times my old NZ wage is
Old Dec 21st 2007, 1:49 am
Forum Regular

waynepfry is a splendid one to beholdwaynepfry is a splendid one to beholdwaynepfry is a splendid one to beholdwaynepfry is a splendid one to beholdwaynepfry is a splendid one to beholdwaynepfry is a splendid one to beholdwaynepfry is a splendid one to beholdwaynepfry is a splendid one to beholdwaynepfry is a splendid one to beholdwaynepfry is a splendid one to beholdwaynepfry is a splendid one to behold

Good for you!

Don't think that's typical though...........
Old Dec 21st 2007, 2:14 am
BE Forum Addict

Jude J is a splendid one to beholdJude J is a splendid one to beholdJude J is a splendid one to beholdJude J is a splendid one to beholdJude J is a splendid one to beholdJude J is a splendid one to beholdJude J is a splendid one to beholdJude J is a splendid one to beholdJude J is a splendid one to beholdJude J is a splendid one to beholdJude J is a splendid one to behold

No, I dont either. More money yes, but not normally that much. That's excellent tho Ian, I am looking forward to the rest of your story! Pleased it is working out for you over there. Are property prices about the same or do you pay 3 x more? There was a piece of beach front land sold opposite the hotel where we stayed last year for over 10 million

I still wouldn't be tempted tho, I was thinking yesterday when I was rushing about for work and then driving my non-aircon'd car (what was I thinking?) that I just wouldn't be happy in a place thats hotter than here.
Old Dec 21st 2007, 2:29 am

The salary can be as much as twice to three times for some people, but its not just the money - for us it was for a more mainstream way of working and better prospects. We're looking at houses for less than we sold ours for, the market is bit quiet in the run up to Christmas but there's so much being built around here there should be plenty for sale in the New Year.

This morning we went and joined the Surfclub and have just come back from a very pleasant lunch at the North Burleigh Club. Sat overlooking the azure ocean and watched the surf rolling in, even though we were in the shade I had to wear sunnies because it was so bright. I can see us spending many a happy hour at the club and on the beaches and getting through a LOT of suncream. They have quite a few kids activities too which is fab for the long holidays, the clubs are a great way to meet new people. This is North Burleigh

Surfers is so much more for the tourists, Pacific Fair is great for shopping though but I don't often venture up there unless I have to. Burleigh is much more my cup of tea. Bit like an upmarket version of Browns Bay with a few hotels, lawns backing onto the beach, play facilities, trees, quiet back road, etc.

If anyone's interested....I'm going to take my own photos for a thread I'm going to do on the Oz board.
Old Dec 21st 2007, 2:39 am

Originally Posted by waynepfry
I believe the figures come from the airport slips you hand in when you leave NZ and they cover all residents whether on a work permit, PR, Citizenship, etc
When we filled our slips we had to say we were leaving temporarily because we are on 457 visas, not PR. so I'm not sure if this sort of exit shows up on emigration figures or not. I don't recall seeing a box asking if we intended to return.
Old Dec 21st 2007, 3:24 am
BE Enthusiast

Ian & Sharon has a reputation beyond reputeIan & Sharon has a reputation beyond reputeIan & Sharon has a reputation beyond reputeIan & Sharon has a reputation beyond reputeIan & Sharon has a reputation beyond reputeIan & Sharon has a reputation beyond reputeIan & Sharon has a reputation beyond reputeIan & Sharon has a reputation beyond reputeIan & Sharon has a reputation beyond reputeIan & Sharon has a reputation beyond reputeIan & Sharon has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jude J
Are property prices about the same or do you pay 3 x more?
To be honest we have found you do get more for your money out here.

We bought a 4 bed 2 bathroom house on 800sqm for $480AUS, now this is were its different! If you come out of the front door turn left and count to ten your at the beach, the lad has caught many a fish there. We could not afford to do that in both Auckland and ChCh.

So no not really.
Old Dec 21st 2007, 3:27 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Nerine
This morning we went and joined the Surfclub and have just come back from a very pleasant lunch
Try the one at main beach, yum. Get the seafood platter for two
Old Dec 21st 2007, 3:32 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by waynepfry
Good for you!

Don't think that's typical though...........
Thank you kind Sir.

My mate who is a Kiwi plumber over here (Brit originally) came over on his way back to the UK as he could not make NZ pay, after 3 years he now owns a very successful business and can afford all the toys!
Now this is a bloke who landed with a few hundred bucks left and a suitcase, IMHO I do think over here you put the effort in you get the rewards, but in NZ you put the effort in you sometimes get the rewards.
Old Dec 21st 2007, 5:31 am
BE Forum Addict

Rascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond repute

Yer but 3 times my old NZ wage is
Same here Ian!!

Had Allied shippers in yesterday, he quoted me HALF what NZ Van Lines did.
Great guy.. he is off to live in Brisbane himself in March, same reasons as most, better standard of living, higher salary, lower taxes....in fact, you wouldn't believe he was a born n bred Kiwi the way he was pushing OZ!

The most ironic thing is, our eldest who wanted to stay in NZ is off to Otago in Feb to do his degree.....you know, the reason we have stayed here... well, he finally admitted he wants out of NZ once he has finished his degree.
I asked him where he plans to go.............AUSTRALIA!
Ever felt like throttling someone?
Old Dec 21st 2007, 5:33 am
BE Forum Addict

Rascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond repute

Try the one at main beach, yum. Get the seafood platter for two
Excuse me you two.....
Are you up for a meet anytime after 13th jan? Brisbane or Gold Coast?
Old Dec 21st 2007, 5:36 am
BE Forum Addict

To be honest we have found you do get more for your money out here.

We bought a 4 bed 2 bathroom house on 800sqm for $480AUS, now this is were its different! If you come out of the front door turn left and count to ten your at the beach, the lad has caught many a fish there. We could not afford to do that in both Auckland and ChCh.

So no not really.
Defo NOT 3 times the prices then?
Have been scouring ourself and have found similar prices to here....but of course with 3 times the salary, well it makes it a third of NZ prices then??

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.