Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Kiwis moving to Australia at 19-year high

Kiwis moving to Australia at 19-year high

Old Dec 19th 2007, 11:30 pm
BE Forum Addict

crap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Kiwis moving to Australia at 19-year high

right. well. I am planning going back to the UK some time I guess. I am still young... can't see myself grow old here

"Many have suggested that the "lifestyle" advantage that New Zealand had relied on to attract young people back may no longer be enough"
Old Dec 19th 2007, 11:34 pm

Nerine is an unknown quantity at this point

Which country did you do your degree in?
Old Dec 20th 2007, 12:00 am
BE Forum Addict

crap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Nerine
Which country did you do your degree in?
UK

The University of Edinburgh both the undergraduate and postgraduate Master's degrees. it took an awful long time :curse:
Old Dec 20th 2007, 12:15 am
BE Enthusiast

Ian & Sharon has a reputation beyond reputeIan & Sharon has a reputation beyond reputeIan & Sharon has a reputation beyond reputeIan & Sharon has a reputation beyond reputeIan & Sharon has a reputation beyond reputeIan & Sharon has a reputation beyond reputeIan & Sharon has a reputation beyond reputeIan & Sharon has a reputation beyond reputeIan & Sharon has a reputation beyond reputeIan & Sharon has a reputation beyond reputeIan & Sharon has a reputation beyond repute

NZ has its +/- but so has Oz

I just feel at home in OZ, there are things here that we can do that we could not do in either the UK or NZ. Nowt to do with Tax as you have to pay it were ever you go.
For us the weather or predictability of the weather here plays a very important part to our life style (warm all the time).
Old Dec 20th 2007, 1:05 am

Originally Posted by crap coffee
UK

The University of Edinburgh both the undergraduate and postgraduate Master's degrees. it took an awful long time :curse:
Tell me about it!! worth it though isn't it.

Ian, the weather is an important factor. Even today it's overcast and looks like rain but so warm - we've just had a quick dip, going to have a cold lunch now and then go out for the afternoon. (still waiting for our tax rebate from NZ, it's almost as much as the difference in the shipping costs ... so guess where that's going to go!)
Old Dec 20th 2007, 6:00 am
Maz

Maz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Vim Fuego
'Many', but not the majority.

All it reflects is the attitudes of people who tend to post their opinions on message boards and forums ... this is not a fair cross-section of the community.
It doesn't??????

Originally Posted by phil01
Wow Nerine if you put half as much effort into enjoying Oz or working as you do into trying to slate NZ you may find some happiness.
Karma for that mate, if it'll let me.
Old Dec 20th 2007, 7:25 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond repute

It is a very hot topic in the news everyday for weeks now, so not just Nerine who's having a dig at NZ. Having read a lot of comments on the Herald article, I wish I had the time to read more of the 100 or more pages of comments; however the sentiments are all the same. Is it mere coincidence that those sentiments stack up with every single so called 'negative' post we read on here; poor wages for trades people, crap housing, high taxes etc. Are they all telling lies?

NZ will have only itself to blame, and will soon be nothing more than a home for the 'beneficiaries', retirees and cashed up immigrants who can or are willing to absorb the loss of earnings for the perceived 'lifestyle'.

I would also question how they count those 27,000 people who left NZ; my guess is it is just Kiwis with Kiwi passports, factor in the huge number of Brits etc who move on and leave NZ before getting NZ citzenship and the picture of doom just gets bigger.
Old Dec 20th 2007, 7:42 am
Maz

Maz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bo-Jangles
It is a very hot topic in the news everyday for weeks now, so not just Nerine who's having a dig at NZ. Having read a lot of comments on the Herald article, I wish I had the time to read more of the 100 or more pages of comments; however the sentiments are all the same. Is it mere coincidence that those sentiments stack up with every single so called 'negative' post we read on here; poor wages for trades people, crap housing, high taxes etc. Are they all telling lies?

NZ will have only itself to blame, and will soon be nothing more than a home for the 'beneficiaries', retirees and cashed up immigrants who can or are willing to absorb the loss of earnings for the perceived 'lifestyle'.

I would also question how they count those 27,000 people who left NZ; my guess is it is just Kiwis with Kiwi passports, factor in the huge number of Brits etc who move on and leave NZ before getting NZ citzenship and the picture of doom just gets bigger.
Sorry, I didn't read the article. Was that 27,000 in one year? Because 80,000 migrants arrived on these shores in 2006.
Old Dec 20th 2007, 8:00 am
BE Enthusiast

Ian & Sharon has a reputation beyond reputeIan & Sharon has a reputation beyond reputeIan & Sharon has a reputation beyond reputeIan & Sharon has a reputation beyond reputeIan & Sharon has a reputation beyond reputeIan & Sharon has a reputation beyond reputeIan & Sharon has a reputation beyond reputeIan & Sharon has a reputation beyond reputeIan & Sharon has a reputation beyond reputeIan & Sharon has a reputation beyond reputeIan & Sharon has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Maz
Because 80,000 migrants arrived on these shores in 2006.
Sorry but I do find that very hard to believe, I could be wrong (I usually am)
Old Dec 20th 2007, 8:11 am
Maz

Originally Posted by Ian & Sharon
Sorry but I do find that very hard to believe, I could be wrong (I usually am)
I'll have to find the source, but I'm pretty sure that's accurate. Or maybe accurate for a few years.

In any case, when I was younger, there were 3m people in NZ. Now there are 4.1m. So there are more people migrating here than emigrating elsewhere.
Old Dec 20th 2007, 8:11 am
Maz

I could be wrong (I usually am)
And you stole my line!
Old Dec 20th 2007, 9:32 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Maz
In any case, when I was younger, there were 3m people in NZ. Now there are 4.1m. So there are more people migrating here than emigrating elsewhere.
Depend on how old you are

Edit to say - probebly more people migrating to the UK hence why so many people are leaving
Old Dec 20th 2007, 9:42 am
Maz

Depend on how old you are

Edit to say - probebly more people migrating to the UK hence why so many people are leaving
40 in 5 weeks' time! Paaaaartaaaaay!

And I've not lived in the UK since early 1992 so I suspect you have something with your last comment.
Old Dec 20th 2007, 8:56 pm

Originally Posted by Bo-Jangles

VERY true.

Yep, we left before getting Citizenship and I know of at least two other British families who did the same as us.

I don't know what the solution is. They bring us migrants in to help change the country for the better and then they stop us from doing it.

(Actually I do know what the solution is....another couple of stars on the flag!, that would shake things up a bit and blow off the cobwebs)
Old Dec 20th 2007, 9:11 pm
BE Enthusiast

I could have applied for Citizenship as I'd been there over 3 years, but we came on a 457 visa still got our IRRV and Millie has her passport as she was born there.
I dropped friends off at the airport yesterday who'd been over for a reckie, I was shocked Tuesday night when they told me they'd bought a house, they have there NZ citizenship and now will but there house on the market and make the jump. There reason was they could not see a future in NZ for their kids, each to there own I suppose.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.