British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   New Zealand (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/)
-   -   Are Kiwis the grinch? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/kiwis-grinch-571897/)

lardyl Nov 9th 2008 8:00 am

Re: Are Kiwis the grinch?

Reminds me of a great thing in NZ - no pointless greetings cards - as our neighbours said last Christmas - "we'll see you on Christmas Day so why bother with a card?" - indeed why?
Just takes out more rain forrest and keeps Mssrs Hallmark, et al in the business of making up new dates to mark with a card.......:thumbdown:

Am Loolah Nov 9th 2008 9:27 am

Originally Posted by lardyl (Post 6955043)
Reminds me of a great thing in NZ - no pointless greetings cards - as our neighbours said last Christmas - "we'll see you on Christmas Day so why bother with a card?" - indeed why?
Just takes out more rain forrest and keeps Mssrs Hallmark, et al in the business of making up new dates to mark with a card.......:thumbdown:

I sent a birthday card to a friend on Monday, her actual birthday, in which I wrote Merry Christmas, Happy New Year and have an awesome Easter - so I'm covered all under the 1 card ... I am sooo environmentally friendly!:thumbsup:

Kiwiprincess Nov 9th 2008 7:45 pm

To a certain degree Hallowe'en is American though.

And before anyone starts reminding me of its history, all I will say is that is all well and good but it is not where the images of Hallowe'een in New Zealand come from. Those images are generally of American tv shows and movies.

Yep I realise that in parts of the UK it is celebrated. But I swear if you asked most people where their images of halloween come from it is the USA, not the UK.

Not saying I have a problem with it. It is one of my favourite holidays after all. Costumes, food, drinks, excuse to party. Quite frankly, it is a holiday aimed at adults who never grew up if ever I saw it.

whitesand Nov 9th 2008 8:44 pm

I don't see Halloween as an American thing, although I know they celebrate it with cards and things more than here, but to me it's British. I love it, just like other days like Xmas, Valentine's Day, and anything with lots of special cakes and goodies. The more the merrier!

southerner Nov 9th 2008 10:06 pm

I think of Halloween as an American tradition (which is probably what most kiwis believe too) that just has not taken off in NZ despite the usual marketing. IMO that is no bad thing.

I would rather celebrate Burns night, Matariki or Chinese New Year.

Wooly_Cow Nov 9th 2008 10:33 pm

Personally I love Halloween and any excuse for people to meet each other in the community. My little suburb, Seatoun, was full of little kids and their parents, all dressed up (not the parents like). It was great to see (and a far cry from the Hoodies we used to get in Reading - no costume just a hoodie pulled up, about 13-14 years of age - now they were frightening!).

A method of letting those who wish to participate do so and at the same time not disturb those who don’t (for whatever reason) is to ask the kids only to go to houses that are decorated.

BTW being a Grinch is not exclusive to Kiwis. I know of lots of Brits and even Americans who do not wish to participate. Each to their own is what I say…..now when does Carol Singing start? :thumbsup:

Kiwiprincess Nov 9th 2008 10:46 pm

Originally Posted by Wooly_Cow (Post 6956935)
…..now when does Carol Singing start? :thumbsup:

Umm....I really really don't want to be the one to break this to you....

southerner Nov 10th 2008 12:01 am

…..now when does Carol Singing start? :thumbsup:

It normally begins on the first evening in December when its dark before 5pm.

Wooly_Cow Nov 10th 2008 12:05 am

Oh Ha Ha!! :p In Sydney there was a Carol Concert at Darling Harbour after the traditional Xmas on Water Ski's show....How festive

Kiwiprincess Nov 10th 2008 12:27 am

ya probably won't get carol singers at your house though.

But I am sure there will be a carol evening in seatoun. Not to mention the carols by candlelight event that is usually in late nov/early dec.

Down repeat after me "Down Under, Santa Gets a suntan, rudolph puts the cream on his nose..."

Wooly_Cow Nov 10th 2008 12:53 am

He's not the only one getting sunburn....forgot to 'Slap' till it was too late this weekend...I'm the guy on Cuba Street with a face the colour of a stop sign!

pumpkinlou Nov 10th 2008 1:04 am

Personally I love Halloween and any excuse for people to meet each other in the community. My little suburb, Seatoun, was full of little kids and their parents, all dressed up (not the parents like). It was great to see (and a far cry from the Hoodies we used to get in Reading - no costume just a hoodie pulled up, about 13-14 years of age - now they were frightening!).

A method of letting those who wish to participate do so and at the same time not disturb those who don’t (for whatever reason) is to ask the kids only to go to houses that are decorated.

BTW being a Grinch is not exclusive to Kiwis. I know of lots of Brits and even Americans who do not wish to participate. Each to their own is what I say…..now when does Carol Singing start? :thumbsup:

ooh, I'm with you on that one. I used to go Carol Singing when I was little. Halloween was always spent in fancy dress playing bobbing Apples at home! Guy fawkes was all the family round with Jacket Potatoes, Sparklers and Catherine Wheel fireworks in the back garden. All the events that I have very happy childhood memories about. :D

Lou
xx

love30stm Nov 10th 2008 3:43 am

Originally Posted by pumpkinlou (Post 6957256)
ooh, I'm with you on that one. I used to go Carol Singing when I was little. Halloween was always spent in fancy dress playing bobbing Apples at home! Guy fawkes was all the family round with Jacket Potatoes, Sparklers and Catherine Wheel fireworks in the back garden. All the events that I have very happy childhood memories about. :D

Lou
xx

Me too :thumbsup:

whitesand Nov 10th 2008 4:15 am

Ah, someone else who remember the dook'in for apples. Also, did you have the treacle scone?

pumpkinlou Nov 10th 2008 4:23 am

Originally Posted by whitesand (Post 6957558)
Ah, someone else who remember the dook'in for apples. Also, did you have the treacle scone?

We always had Toffee Apples!!!! it was an autumn thing! But a treacle scone sounds yummy!!

xx