British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   New Zealand (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/)
-   -   Are Kiwis the grinch? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/kiwis-grinch-571897/)

Jokerman Nov 8th 2008 8:16 am

Are Kiwis the grinch?

http://blogs.nzherald.co.nz/blog/you...ectid=10540349

Some of these comments are unbelievable! :rofl:

Halloween it's an American conspiracy.

See above........

M-Squared Nov 8th 2008 8:55 am

Re: Are Kiwis the grinch?

Why are you worried about such a Hallmark Holiday? It's fun for the kids to dress up, and because we're in the southern hemisphere they're (esp the younger ones) not out after dark.

Jokerman Nov 8th 2008 9:07 am

Originally Posted by M-Squared (Post 6952515)
Why are you worried about such a Hallmark Holiday? It's fun for the kids to dress up, and because we're in the southern hemisphere they're (esp the younger ones) not out after dark.

When I said It's an American Conspiracy I was being sarcastic. Forgot the appropriate smiley. Im on your side on this one. CHeck the comments from the Kiwi grinches, however. And, yeah, yeah, yeah, no,no,no, I am not Nerine - but nice try to get me banned as per method used to dispatch Looking2OZ.

ps - I don't think quoting from a newspaper's online feedback is a copyright issue, at all.

mod note

if you have an issue with moderation, take it to PM or email admin.
I'll await your PM & take the issue up from there . Quite happy to re-instate the long line of quotes if needs be.

BEVS Nov 8th 2008 9:17 am

Originally Posted by Jokerman (Post 6952529)
When I said It's an American Conspiracy I was being sarcastic. Forgot the appropriate smiley. Im on your side on this one. CHeck the comments from the Kiwi grinches, however. And, yeah, yeah, yeah, no,no,no, I am not Nerine - but nice try to get me banned as per method used to dispatch Looking2OZ.

Right! Let's make this clear !

Looking2Oz was a previously banned member who had received several warnings when Campbells. So was given the boot. No big drama. Had the user heeded admin warnings etc. in their first incarnation, the user would still be here but hey, the users choice at that time, so the heave ho.

As for this little set-to between you two. Behave ! I'm not arsed who you may have been before BUT if you start to bust up you are both trolls on toast. Hope that is clear.

Jokerman Nov 8th 2008 9:19 am

Originally Posted by BEVS here (Post 6952545)
Right! Let's make this clear !

Looking2Oz was a previously banned member who had received several warnings when Campbells. So was given the boot. No big drama. Had the user heeded admin warnings etc. in their first incarnation, the user would still be here but hey, the users choice at that time, so the heave ho.

As for this little set-to between you two. Behave ! I'm not arsed who you may have been before BUT if you start to bust up you are both trolls on toast. Hope that is clear.

Ja wohl, mein capitan!:rofl: (snaps to attention)

BEVS Nov 8th 2008 9:25 am

Originally Posted by Jokerman (Post 6952552)
Ja wohl, mein capitan!:rofl: (snaps to attention)

Good ! Saves us all a lot of bother, including those that really could do without this.

Genesis Nov 8th 2008 6:28 pm

Originally Posted by BEVS here (Post 6952569)
Good ! Saves us all a lot of bother, including those that really could do without this.

Personally back to the point..I think I do not like the bit about Halloween where the kids come for sweets. I know you think I am probably being said Grinch, but why should I feed well nourished kids. I do my bit with World Vision.

Also there's the underlying 'trick or treat' issue..I am sure there are some individuals who do some unpleasant things if refused sweets.

I just don't get it..knocking on doors expecting to get sweets. I wonder if I could start knocking on doors for my weekly shop??:rofl:

love30stm Nov 8th 2008 6:34 pm

Originally Posted by Genesis (Post 6953605)
Personally back to the point..I think I do not like the bit about Halloween where the kids come for sweets. I know you think I am probably being said Grinch, but why should I feed well nourished kids. I do my bit with World Vision.

Also there's the underlying 'trick or treat' issue..I am sure there are some individuals who do some unpleasant things if refused sweets.

I just don't get it..knocking on doors expecting to get sweets. I wonder if I could start knocking on doors for my weekly shop??:rofl:

OMG....Halloween i love it, always dressed up my house make a buffet for my Kids, watch scary movies...this year in NZ I had lots of kids around and with there Parents, it was all good fun and a way of meeting people also...also my kids went trick or treating same as a lot of people, and I didn't get any negatives..

I cant understand some poeple bah humbug!!!

I had lots around because my house was decorated...and the little kids faces was a delight and they were all so poilte...yes I mean the teenager's also...didnt get any eggs thrown at the house :p

ps. I should go to America and live...should be good now they have a new president..:lol:

M-Squared Nov 8th 2008 6:35 pm

Jawohl Bevs!!! *clicks heels* LOL Seriously, calm down, you're drunk with power. Did you just win an election or something? I have zero clue who lookin2oz is/was.

Patrick2007 Nov 8th 2008 6:58 pm

Originally Posted by M-Squared (Post 6953630)
Jawohl Bevs!!! *clicks heels* LOL Seriously, calm down, you're drunk with power. Did you just win an election or something? I have zero clue who lookin2oz is/was.

You forgot to salute military fashion and rather crisply!!!!!!!!!!

bourbon-biscuit Nov 8th 2008 7:24 pm

I don't really get trick or treating so we don't do it but we've never lived anywhere where people do so it's not like my kids have really been aware of it (don't have a TV either- well not one that is hooked up). The concept of dressing up and going round houses demanding sweets seems a bit odd. From where I live it seems Xmas, Halloween etc are much less of a big deal here in a commercial sense. Christmas is quite different- it's much more a family few days off together with gifts and food and decorations. There's less commercial punch it seems and I like that. I used to love Xmas in the UK and I'm glad it's completely different here as it makes me miss it less than if it was the same but miles from family.

luvwelly Nov 8th 2008 8:32 pm

Originally Posted by Genesis (Post 6953605)

My Mum would never let me do it..said it was 'begging'. Best way round this is to agree houses to go to in advance with a group of friends. My kids did nothing this year and OH and I had a function to go to...mean parents or what!

steved44 Nov 8th 2008 8:47 pm

As with so many things these days, it seems to me, this modern practice is simply a corruption of something far older and more meaningful. It's not an American conspiracy. Have a look at this and see what you think:

http://www.phrases.org.uk/meanings/trick-or-treat.html

Now, if someone knocked on my door and offered to pray for the soul of someone I'd recently lost, I might be amenable to parting with a small offering.

Sue Nov 9th 2008 3:02 am

Originally Posted by Jokerman (Post 6952529)
ps - I don't think quoting from a newspaper's online feedback is a copyright issue, at all

Yes it is a copyright issue, there is a copyright sign at the bottom of the newspaper concerned, therefore you need to obtain their permission before you can use it on a public forum/site. Plus its not good forum etiquette to cut and past content from other sites onto BE. You can however link to the content as per rule 7 of our site rules.

Thanks

CAN2NZ Nov 9th 2008 7:44 am

You know, I always "laugh" (aka snear) at these comments about things being American as if all things bad must be American. Anyway, I grew up in Canada and loved halloween. We used to talke about what to take out trick or treating that would hold the most candy. Pillow cases were great. My wife misses the halloween candy put out at the front of the grocery store. Starts just after the back to school stuff comes off. Of course we would have to rebuy the candy. I don't miss the wrappers around the house as my OH is not very good at putting her wrappers away. Anyway, it is all part of the marketing calendary: Back to school in August, Halloween September/October and a blend to Christmas, then Valentines after the boxing day, which sort of begins before Christmas now, then spring sales, all the large stores put out garden centres in the parking lot, then the summer break and back to school....