Reload this Page >

Kiwis can't believe we have a problem with cost of living

Kiwis can't believe we have a problem with cost of living

Old Nov 5th 2005, 8:19 pm
Forum Regular

CWEMM02 is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Kiwis can't believe we have a problem with cost of living

Originally Posted by expomm
Of course its not cheaper to live her in NZ what else is it linked to than wages the bottom line is that wages in NZ are terrible compared to equivalents around the world. As a plumber/heating engineer I am seriously struggling to keep my head above water - and thats after 4 months. - I think its inevitable that we will end up back in the UK. what shocks me most about NZ is that my quality of life has dropped drasticly when we thought it would improve. The way i see it his country(nz) is in serious trouble - there are 600 people leaving a WEEK, its obvious why- no money here. I can fully understand the comment from the person who said they left due to no money no job and no future, i can really see why that would be true. my personal opinion is that this is one of the most expensive places ive ever been in comparison to wages, my friends inbali indonesia have a better quality of life compared to what they earn.........

We see lots of posts about the cost of living in NZ. It won't last forever. I know that there has been lots of talk by Dr. Bollard and private sector economists for the last year. Also, I saw an interview on NZ TV about how higher interest rates will not drop house prices, though they will level off. Please keep in mind that if more people leave than arrive, or the net increase due to immigration continues as it has done as of late big costs like houses are bound to get cheaper in foreign currency terms. New Zealand is at peak adn hopefully will have a soft landing. We are planning or renting for at least a year or longer and holding off on currency conversion past our August 2006 arrival. Keep you rental costs down, save the difference, invest your money at 9% or so in some quality Australian company debt and enter the real estate market when it has cooled off.

Michael
Old Nov 5th 2005, 9:18 pm
isv
Forum Regular

isv has a brilliant futureisv has a brilliant futureisv has a brilliant futureisv has a brilliant futureisv has a brilliant futureisv has a brilliant futureisv has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by CWEMM02
We see lots of posts about the cost of living in NZ. It won't last forever. I know that there has been lots of talk by Dr. Bollard and private sector economists for the last year. Also, I saw an interview on NZ TV about how higher interest rates will not drop house prices, though they will level off. Please keep in mind that if more people leave than arrive, or the net increase due to immigration continues as it has done as of late big costs like houses are bound to get cheaper in foreign currency terms. New Zealand is at peak adn hopefully will have a soft landing. We are planning or renting for at least a year or longer and holding off on currency conversion past our August 2006 arrival. Keep you rental costs down, save the difference, invest your money at 9% or so in some quality Australian company debt and enter the real estate market when it has cooled off.

Michael
Very sensible. If things don't slow down quickly NZ will have a major problem on its hands (well not NZ exactly, but Mr/Mrs Average who are carrying all the debt).

http://tvnz.co.nz/view/video_popup_windows_skin/624243
Old Nov 6th 2005, 2:14 am
farmer nr Queenstown NZ

deedee is on a distinguished road

Reading Gareth Morgan this week, i agree with his thoughts that NZ has a problem but the bigger problem is the promised tax cuts from Labour.He reckons in his scenario that in two years time all the promises made to hand out this surplus cash will have to be reversed.People will not get what they were promised, and to be brutally honest it make perfect fiscal sense imo.
Time will tell.
Old Nov 6th 2005, 2:52 am
Forum Regular

benultimate is on a distinguished road
Thumbs up Re: Kiwis can't believe we have a problem with cost of living

Originally Posted by isv
Very sensible. If things don't slow down quickly NZ will have a major problem on its hands (well not NZ exactly, but Mr/Mrs Average who are carrying all the debt).

http://tvnz.co.nz/view/video_popup_windows_skin/624243
general price levels or inflation are really the only general indicator of this activity, inflation has only just breached the reserve bank guildeline by +.04%, economys experience cycles-troughs and peaks etc..the reserve band has a good track record (last10-15yrs) of containing inflation, i wouldnt get to worried..the heat will be taken out of the over-inflated housing market..the rise in the ocr last week is seeing to part of that, with bollard saying he will increase the ocr if it doesnt..we used to have infaltion running up2 5-10% this aint bad, give it three years prices i belive will level off with some cities seeing a reduction..its not supply/demand driven (which is real)..rather over-infaltion (ie artifical)
Old Nov 6th 2005, 9:31 pm
BE Forum Addict

Gill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by benultimate
general price levels or inflation are really the only general indicator of this activity, inflation has only just breached the reserve bank guildeline by +.04%, economys experience cycles-troughs and peaks etc..the reserve band has a good track record (last10-15yrs) of containing inflation, i wouldnt get to worried..the heat will be taken out of the over-inflated housing market..the rise in the ocr last week is seeing to part of that, with bollard saying he will increase the ocr if it doesnt..we used to have infaltion running up2 5-10% this aint bad, give it three years prices i belive will level off with some cities seeing a reduction..its not supply/demand driven (which is real)..rather over-infaltion (ie artifical)
There is a lot of talk about interest rates going up because the rate of the rise in the inflation rate. I don't think this is a major problem as it is effecting many countries, and it is down to the increase in the price of oil. I expect countries will start to relax their inflation targets slightly until the oil price problem sorts itself out.

Robert
Old Nov 7th 2005, 12:10 am
Forum Regular

CWEMM02 is on a distinguished road

The current bid price on NZ dollar indicates an 80% chance of further rate increase this year.

I receive FX commentary daily from Citibank as well as a weekly currency outlook showing what rate raises are priced in. I also get a monthly forward look at rates out one year. If anyone is interested in this sort of thing, send me a message and I can pass them along as I receive them.

I have to agree strongly with the previous post. The economy is not going to stay the same forever. A year out should see your pounds go further on exchange and the house prices should have levelled off. The realestate agent we communicate with in Christchurch is suggesting that there may be some mortgage sales on the horizon and our timing of August 2006 could be fortunate.

Michael
Old Nov 7th 2005, 2:11 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Gill and Rob
There is a lot of talk about interest rates going up because the rate of the rise in the inflation rate. I don't think this is a major problem as it is effecting many countries, and it is down to the increase in the price of oil. I expect countries will start to relax their inflation targets slightly until the oil price problem sorts itself out.

Robert
yeah lota western counties running a bit of inflation at the mo..def oil prices have driven some of that..the kiwi dollars lookn a bit dear at the mo too..not good for our exporters-house prices will def cool off-they have too- they cant run at 20-30% forever, there b know one left to buy them! but sadly the good ol days of cheap bloody cheap kiwi housing with quater acrea sections are gone, expect housing to be comparable to world prices, immigration has def fuelled alota this but not there fault! people movn out to nz would be wise to wait til the dollar drops (10-15 cents)and housing cools off..giv it a 1-2yrs, although would have thought buying a kiwi home if a previous home owner in uk would be ok with exchange rates?no?
Old Nov 7th 2005, 7:35 am
BE Forum Addict

Rascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mumomonty
Spot On NZ Climber. Thanks for putting it down so well on 'paper'.
I will second all that too NZC. Its exactly how it is, some kiwis cant accept it, but I have some kiwi friends who will admit to the same.
One of the reasons we will be leaving this country as soon as everything is sorted. One long financial struggle here for us.
I will miss alll the friends I have made here though, kiwi and other nationals which is a shame really.
Old Nov 7th 2005, 7:18 pm
Forum Regular

Location: I'm a Brit who's lived in Auckland for the last 2 years
NZ Climber has a brilliant futureNZ Climber has a brilliant futureNZ Climber has a brilliant futureNZ Climber has a brilliant futureNZ Climber has a brilliant futureNZ Climber has a brilliant futureNZ Climber has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by Rascal
I will second all that too NZC. Its exactly how it is, some kiwis cant accept it, but I have some kiwi friends who will admit to the same.
One of the reasons we will be leaving this country as soon as everything is sorted. One long financial struggle here for us.
I will miss alll the friends I have made here though, kiwi and other nationals which is a shame really.
Sorry to hear that Rascal. I feel for you. We were with some friends the other weekend who are also brits and have been here for about a year. They've got one child with another on the way and they are really feeling the pinch. She's not working and he is but they are still renting and the fridge was basically bare when we went round. It's very sad, they've taken a massive step backwards in coming here and are now treating it as a two to three year holiday before they basically run out of money completely and have to go home.

We know how hard it is but we're turning the corner (I think) and only because we have no kids and both have decent jobs. At least you've made friends here, we've been here two years and are only starting to be invited to BBQs etc because the kiwis are so closed to new people.

Basically in a lot of ways, they're just f******g rude.
Old Nov 7th 2005, 8:45 pm
Forum Regular

hubbard is just really nicehubbard is just really nicehubbard is just really nicehubbard is just really nicehubbard is just really nicehubbard is just really nicehubbard is just really nicehubbard is just really nice

Originally Posted by NZ Climber

I found them to be very friendly and open, the Aussies too. Much more so than the Brits IMHO. Only thing that they don't get is the our humour, humour in NZ and Aus is far more basic. But as for trusting and friendly people I thought they were great, didn't like NZ but liked it's people.
Old Nov 7th 2005, 8:51 pm
Forum Regular

Location: I'm a Brit who's lived in Auckland for the last 2 years
NZ Climber has a brilliant futureNZ Climber has a brilliant futureNZ Climber has a brilliant futureNZ Climber has a brilliant futureNZ Climber has a brilliant futureNZ Climber has a brilliant futureNZ Climber has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by hubbard
I found them to be very friendly and open, the Aussies too. Much more so than the Brits IMHO. Only thing that they don't get is the our humour, humour in NZ and Aus is far more basic. But as for trusting and friendly people I thought they were great, didn't like NZ but liked it's people.
How long were you here?

I agree with everything you say IF you are on holiday or passing through, or a complete stranger. If you live here or are trying to make real friends, instead of just expecting strangers in campsites, shops and pubs to be nice to you, you'll find it much more difficult.
Old Nov 7th 2005, 10:19 pm
Forum Regular

hubbard is just really nicehubbard is just really nicehubbard is just really nicehubbard is just really nicehubbard is just really nicehubbard is just really nicehubbard is just really nicehubbard is just really nice

How long were you here?

I agree with everything you say IF you are on holiday or passing through, or a complete stranger. If you live here or are trying to make real friends, instead of just expecting strangers in campsites, shops and pubs to be nice to you, you'll find it much more difficult.
Lived in Auckland for 3 years, now in Australia.
Old Nov 7th 2005, 11:57 pm
Banned

auldduck is an unknown quantity at this point

They're nice enough down in sunny Dunny but hey! - we're all the salt of the earth down here.

cheers - Quackers
Old Nov 8th 2005, 1:14 am
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by CWEMM02
A year out should see your pounds go further on exchange and the house prices should have levelled off. A realestate agent is suggesting that there may be some mortgage sales on the horizon and our timing of August 2006 could be fortunate.

Michael
The exact same was being booted about this time last year.
Old Nov 8th 2005, 2:35 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Apollo10
The exact same was being booted about this time last year.

you cnt pin it down specificlly to a year unfortunitly-its not that it should cool off-but rather has to..you gotta have buyers for sellers to sell property..prices have gone from under-valued to over-valued, itl rebound look in the short-term, the R.Bank is actively seeking to cool it off-they certainly have a lot of influence when they want

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.