Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Are kiwi's becoming more air-headed?

Are kiwi's becoming more air-headed?

Old Jan 18th 2019, 8:50 am
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Are kiwi's becoming more air-headed?

Originally Posted by paddy234
This is what happens when a nation has been gripped by too much shallow reality TV. The only issues these people increasingly care about is something you would see on an episode of geordie shore mixed with my big fat gypsy wedding.
Are you just looking for an argument? How is the popularity of 'reality' TV among SOME NZ people any different to its popularity among SOME Brits, Americans, Australians etc???

Last edited by spouse of scouse; Jan 18th 2019 at 8:53 am.
Old Jan 18th 2019, 9:11 am
BE Enthusiast

paddy234 has much to be proud ofpaddy234 has much to be proud ofpaddy234 has much to be proud ofpaddy234 has much to be proud ofpaddy234 has much to be proud ofpaddy234 has much to be proud ofpaddy234 has much to be proud ofpaddy234 has much to be proud ofpaddy234 has much to be proud ofpaddy234 has much to be proud ofpaddy234 has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by spouse of scouse
Are you just looking for an argument? How is the popularity of 'reality' TV among SOME NZ people any different to its popularity among SOME Brits, Americans, Australians etc???
This comment was an addition to the article i posted above it in reference to how even Stuff admits they are obsessed with such a non issue. Issues like this as i said would NEVER gain the attention by the mainstream media elsewhere in the world which is why as the article posted above shows that international media outlets find the reaction here comical. Anyway i feel it has been talked about enough on this thread, i just hope kiwi's can catch themselves on and worry about real issues that affects their beautiful country and perhaps unite around them like they did here.
Old Jan 18th 2019, 9:17 am
BE Enthusiast

paddy234 has much to be proud ofpaddy234 has much to be proud ofpaddy234 has much to be proud ofpaddy234 has much to be proud ofpaddy234 has much to be proud ofpaddy234 has much to be proud ofpaddy234 has much to be proud ofpaddy234 has much to be proud ofpaddy234 has much to be proud ofpaddy234 has much to be proud ofpaddy234 has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Justcol
Who exactly are "these people"?

I think Kiwi Rule #1 springs to mind here
​​​​​​
''these people'' was a reference to the louts resorting to derogatory comments as a foolish attempt to articulate themselves
Old Jan 19th 2019, 10:23 pm
BE Forum Addict

Justcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond repute

The simple fact that the story received the reaction it did indicates its something kiwis feel strongly about.
I don't like rugby but accept most in nz do. I don't bleat on about it being in the media as much as it is just because it doesn't fit my agenda.
You need to get down from your high horse young man. If you don't like the stories on stuff, read something else, it's really as simple as that.
Old Jan 20th 2019, 3:39 am
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

There's no apostrophe in Kiwis when writing in the plural sense.
Old Jan 20th 2019, 5:34 am
BE Enthusiast

Stuck in Auckland has a reputation beyond reputeStuck in Auckland has a reputation beyond reputeStuck in Auckland has a reputation beyond reputeStuck in Auckland has a reputation beyond reputeStuck in Auckland has a reputation beyond reputeStuck in Auckland has a reputation beyond reputeStuck in Auckland has a reputation beyond reputeStuck in Auckland has a reputation beyond reputeStuck in Auckland has a reputation beyond reputeStuck in Auckland has a reputation beyond reputeStuck in Auckland has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Clappy
The story did make it onto the BBC World Service - not the actions of the travellers- it was the furore that had been caused that was the story.

The Kiwi journalist that was interviewed explained that the people here are just not used to seeing this sort of thing.

Bless them.
See no evil hear no evil

https://www.stuff.co.nz/auckland/105...h-dumping-woes

My issue with these travelers is the treatment of hard working cafes/restaurants and scheming (hair in my food)

The rubbish drew attention to themselves. Their behavior after that made everyone's blood boil

No one I talked to drew any comparisons to English or Irish

Old Jan 22nd 2019, 5:14 am
BE Enthusiast

Mishclark has a reputation beyond reputeMishclark has a reputation beyond reputeMishclark has a reputation beyond reputeMishclark has a reputation beyond reputeMishclark has a reputation beyond reputeMishclark has a reputation beyond reputeMishclark has a reputation beyond reputeMishclark has a reputation beyond reputeMishclark has a reputation beyond reputeMishclark has a reputation beyond reputeMishclark has a reputation beyond repute

Reports are they are the same bunch of arsewipes caught on CCTV that were over here on the gold coast last year tearing their way around rilpping off businesses and restaurants .and roofing scams. Can't be certain but Aussies took exception to it as well, sharing news stories to warn other businesses and people from getting ripped off.
We only knew they were travellers, didn't know what nationality they were, just that they were scumbags that had to be stopped or halted.
I saw it differently. I know Kiwis were obsessed with the story, but if other businesses could be warned, and they were caught stealing on CCTV , then that's a job well done. I don't feel sorry for them at all, whether they are the same ones that were here or not, it's not fair on businesses trying to earn a living.
​​​​​​
​​​​

Last edited by Mishclark; Jan 22nd 2019 at 5:16 am. Reason: Spelling
Old Jan 22nd 2019, 5:57 am
BE Forum Addict

Justcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Catchafire
Yawn.

Irish bloke gets triggered.
Old Jan 23rd 2019, 8:29 pm
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

There was a prog on TVNZ a while ago called Big Fat Gypsy Wedding. It caused quite some curiosity among our kiwi pals and neighbours who asked us if it & the people involved were for real or not. They'd had no idea or exposure to these 'traveller' types at all .

Our English pals from a farming district close to Grantham UK was able to describe the horse races held on the public roads in front of their property & the assorted behaviours that go with this type of 'travellers' community.

We were able to recount how it was when these types decide to holiday in the Bournemouth area. They regularly fetched up on my husband's rugby club fields and property and settle down for the duration leaving a dreadful mess behind themselves and that was even with a tacit understanding between the club and the travellers they would clear up after themselves. Their standards were simply not the same .

The kiwis asking us about this had no concept at all of this type of people and their community. They were fascinated by it.

I don't know if , because of low level tv shows like Benefit Street etc , they would associate the 'traveller community' with British people and Britain. I would rather hope not.

However if some kiwis - and in particular those that have not ever left NZ shores or been no further than Oz - have nothing else to gauge the merits of another country ( UK) other than the idea of Benefit Street / Coronation Street/ Eastenders etc plus the endless mantra of grey skies , pollution and civil misery of one sort or another, courtesy of the news , to go on then perhaps some might think that.

Pity the poor airline customers that have to do the long haul back with that lot.
Old Jan 23rd 2019, 9:44 pm
BE Enthusiast

Mishclark has a reputation beyond reputeMishclark has a reputation beyond reputeMishclark has a reputation beyond reputeMishclark has a reputation beyond reputeMishclark has a reputation beyond reputeMishclark has a reputation beyond reputeMishclark has a reputation beyond reputeMishclark has a reputation beyond reputeMishclark has a reputation beyond reputeMishclark has a reputation beyond reputeMishclark has a reputation beyond repute

I remember that show Bev's. I watched some of it but got a bit boring .
You're right, here in Oz we've had no exposure to travellers and to be honest I had no idea about them until the show.
thankfully I did my back packing days in UK and northern Ireland in the 90's so I know Brits are not like this. Plus i have many friends from the UK here and in nz so I definitely know!

​​
​​​
Old Jan 23rd 2019, 9:58 pm
`

Originally Posted by Mishclark
I remember that show Bev's. I watched some of it but got a bit boring .
You're right, here in Oz we've had no exposure to travellers and to be honest I had no idea about them until the show.

​​
​​​
We watched one or two episodes I think out of morbid fascination and also to see if they showed anywhere we knew.

Out of interest in a way, I know of kiwis here who thought that those that lived in England had no gardens and all lived in Coronation St type housing. They were most surprised when I produced old photographic evidence of my parents council house set on a third of an acre with a huge tract of commoners land opposite & then pictures of the Jurassic coast etc.

Their tales of their youth and lives in NZ were equally as fascinating to me as my tales of my English life and upbringing was to them.

It's about how you share. Anyone that feels the need to tell me that my home country is always grey and drizzling . Or that my countrymen , family and friends are always miserable and moaning get short shift these days. I include anyone in that. Too old now to listen to brollox.
Old Jan 23rd 2019, 10:15 pm
Forum Regular

Ex Bristol is just really niceEx Bristol is just really niceEx Bristol is just really niceEx Bristol is just really niceEx Bristol is just really niceEx Bristol is just really niceEx Bristol is just really niceEx Bristol is just really nice

Having left uk more than 50 years ago I have no memories of travelers. My memories are of Gypsies , on the odd occasion when I have seen inside their caravans they have been immaculate, and they had some lovely things prob passed down.
Last year for the first time I went back to the UK for a coach trip. Lovely, as a side I wanted to visit my father's grave the road at the back of the cemetary seems to have been taken over by travelers, luckily I was in a hire car with a driver so not on my own. The cemetary gates are permanently closed (understandable) so I had to slip through a hole in the fence. I managed to put some flowers on the grave.
Old Jan 23rd 2019, 10:17 pm
BE Enthusiast

I must have been lucky, the summer in 1993 was perfect but even though I'm Australian I struggle with the heat, it wasn't too grey and drizzly there.
i wss fortunate, I got to experience a winter Christmas in London for the one and only time in my life in 1994, I really enjoyed it and am grateful for that experience!
Old Jan 24th 2019, 12:45 am
`

Originally Posted by Ex Bristol
Having left uk more than 50 years ago I have no memories of travelers. My memories are of Gypsies , on the odd occasion when I have seen inside their caravans they have been immaculate, and they had some lovely things prob passed down.
Agree. My childhood and even teenage memories do include a couple of gypsy families but nothing of 'travellers' as is seen today at all

Last year for the first time I went back to the UK for a coach trip. Lovely, as a side I wanted to visit my father's grave the road at the back of the cemetary seems to have been taken over by travelers, luckily I was in a hire car with a driver so not on my own. The cemetary gates are permanently closed (understandable) so I had to slip through a hole in the fence. I managed to put some flowers on the grave.
That's lovely. I am pleased for you.
Old Jan 24th 2019, 2:00 am
Forum Regular

Ex Bristol is just really niceEx Bristol is just really niceEx Bristol is just really niceEx Bristol is just really niceEx Bristol is just really niceEx Bristol is just really niceEx Bristol is just really niceEx Bristol is just really nice

Thank you Bevs.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.