British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   New Zealand (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/)
-   -   kiwinow (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/kiwinow-525202/)

kiwinow Mar 29th 2008 2:13 am

kiwinow

Hi there
I'm a pom whose went over to Melbourne as ten pound poms. After living there we went to NZ and have lived in many places here from Invercargill to Auckland. Now Dave and I and our 4 kids live in Timaru, but we are preparing to move to Brisbane, or dare I say it, Hervey Bay! - doing the reccy in June and moving in Dec/Jan. :lol:

happynz Mar 29th 2008 4:24 am

Re: kiwinow

Oh, erm...OK. :)

kiwinow Mar 29th 2008 5:46 am

Oops. It was the parents who were ten pound poms. I'm not that old.

BEVS Mar 29th 2008 9:33 am

Ok. Whatever.
Do you want this in the Nz forum or shall I move it over to Oz for you as that's where you are going?
Lemme know.

kiwinow Mar 29th 2008 8:45 pm

I thought the introduction section was general, but OK put it in Oz. Whatever!

pascalr Mar 29th 2008 9:22 pm

and that's about the warmest welcome you'll get here.....

kiwinow Mar 29th 2008 10:44 pm

So it seems. I can feel the warmth. So obviously I have offended somebody.

Actually I wandered into the NZ forum because somone suggested I might be able to offer some advice, having lived here a while. I don't have any flags to wave and I'm not into discouraging people from coming to NZ. But if I'm not welcome I'll bugger off.

For info and advice on moving to oz I can visit the other forum

BEVS Mar 30th 2008 12:47 am

Your opening post read that you were returning from whence you came, from Oz to NZ & now back to Oz , hence the offer to move the thread into the Oz forum for you.
If the intention was to post that info here into the NZ forum, then that's fine too.
Apologies if you felt unwelcome, that was not the intention. The intention was to offer to move the thread for you as it seemed more relevant to OZ than NZ . You may simply not have meant it for the NZ forum.

Pascalr. Do you never tire of stirring that old wooden spoon of yours. :rolleyes:

southerner Mar 30th 2008 9:49 pm

Originally Posted by kiwinow (Post 6126157)
Hi there
I'm a pom whose went over to Melbourne as ten pound poms. After living there we went to NZ and have lived in many places here from Invercargill to Auckland. Now Dave and I and our 4 kids live in Timaru, but we are preparing to move to Brisbane, or dare I say it, Hervey Bay! - doing the reccy in June and moving in Dec/Jan. :lol:

Hi Kiwinow - seem as how you stumbled in here - I'd be really interested on your motives for moving to Australia, if you've got a moment to write about them.

Thanks

pascalr Mar 30th 2008 11:49 pm

Originally Posted by BEVS here (Post 6130068)
Your opening post read that you were returning from whence you came, from Oz to NZ & now back to Oz , hence the offer to move the thread into the Oz forum for you.
If the intention was to post that info here into the NZ forum, then that's fine too.
Apologies if you felt unwelcome, that was not the intention. The intention was to offer to move the thread for you as it seemed more relevant to OZ than NZ . You may simply not have meant it for the NZ forum.

Pascalr. Do you never tire of stirring that old wooden spoon of yours. :rolleyes:

ok. Whatever:rolleyes:

kiwinow Mar 31st 2008 12:51 am

I'll send you a PM about that.

Nerine Mar 31st 2008 7:27 am

Originally Posted by kiwinow (Post 6129711)
So it seems. I can feel the warmth. So obviously I have offended somebody.

Actually I wandered into the NZ forum because somone suggested I might be able to offer some advice, having lived here a while. I don't have any flags to wave and I'm not into discouraging people from coming to NZ. But if I'm not welcome I'll bugger off.

For info and advice on moving to oz I can visit the other forum

Hi there Kiwinow, I wasn't a $10 pom either but I have relatives that are. Welcome to British Expats, in all it's multi-facetted glory :D

I'm a bit of an itinerant Brit Expats Hobo, having had the pleasure of living in NZ and then being able to migrate to Queensland. There's a few of us that have a foot in both camps on the site, as it were, and there are plenty of people thinking about making the switch between the two countries. It's really valuable to be able to do the compare and contrast thing.

Anything you have to share in any forum on 'Expats will be of value, personal experience counts for a lot. Share away because there's always someone who will be able to learn or identify with what you've got to say.

See you on the Oz boards too :thumbup:

Yotty Mar 31st 2008 9:12 pm

C'mon Kiwinow spill the beans! :)

kiwinow Apr 1st 2008 4:47 am

Well, I was trying to be diplomatic as I wasn't sure this was the place for that discussion.

Briefly - We live in Timaru, South Island and are not really getting ahead. We've already lived in lots of places in NZ. We sold our house in Auckland right BEFORE the prices went through the roof dammit. Aussie wages are a bit better I think (depending on what you do) and benefits etc seem to be also.

My OH was offered work as a builder at a WA mine early this year, if he could leave in 3 days, but his passport had expired so he missed out. But that got us to thinking and searching the net.

Although we have a beach in Timaru, much of the time it's too cold to swim. We are craving a bit of warmth and adventure and want to do it before we're too old.

Three of our 4 kids are excited, but the oldest isn't coming at this stage, so we opted for Brisbane which is nice and close. If the grass isn't greener we can come back, as we're renting out our house, but we feel you have to give it a couple of years to settle anywhere. Having said that we'll always have a soft spot for NZ and we have parents and family here, but scattered all over the North Island so we don't see them much anyway. And that's about it really. :)

Ted Logan Apr 1st 2008 4:51 am

Originally Posted by kiwinow (Post 6140504)
Well, I was trying to be diplomatic as I wasn't sure this was the place for that discussion.

Briefly - We live in Timaru, South Island and are not really getting ahead. We've already lived in lots of places in NZ. We sold our house in Auckland right BEFORE the prices went through the roof dammit. Aussie wages are a bit better I think (depending on what you do) and benefits etc seem to be also.

My OH was offered work as a builder at a WA mine early this year, if he could leave in 3 days, but his passport had expired so he missed out. But that got us to thinking and searching the net.

Although we have a beach in Timaru, much of the time it's too cold to swim. We are craving a bit of warmth and adventure and want to do it before we're too old.

Three of our 4 kids are excited, but the oldest isn't coming at this stage, so we opted for Brisbane which is nice and close. If the grass isn't greener we can come back, as we're renting out our house, but we feel you have to give it a couple of years to settle anywhere. Having said that we'll always have a soft spot for NZ and we have parents and family here, but scattered all over the North Island so we don't see them much anyway. And that's about it really. :)

Cool, Brisbane will be nice and warm for you so no worries there, saying that, I think Napier would be warmer than Timaru as well.