Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Kiwi ways of saying stuff

Kiwi ways of saying stuff

Old Oct 30th 2006, 10:22 pm
Mrs Shep USCIS Graduate

shepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Kiwi ways of saying stuff

Originally Posted by IainW
The bash = beaten up

As in "He got the bash last Saturday night".

Really?? Lived there over 40 years & my idea of a bash was when someone was having a party...celebration type event.....as in having a birthday bash!! I dont doubt you just never heard it used that way before myself!!
Old Oct 30th 2006, 10:24 pm
Banned

Jack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by shepslady
Point taken....my apologies
No need. English is a messed up language
Old Oct 31st 2006, 3:51 am
Forum Regular

Tooanfrom has much to be proud ofTooanfrom has much to be proud ofTooanfrom has much to be proud ofTooanfrom has much to be proud ofTooanfrom has much to be proud ofTooanfrom has much to be proud ofTooanfrom has much to be proud ofTooanfrom has much to be proud ofTooanfrom has much to be proud ofTooanfrom has much to be proud ofTooanfrom has much to be proud of

Box of birds=All sh#t and feathers
Heads up=Have you ever seen a heap of rabbits/ducks/etc when a strange sound is heard? All of them stop what they are doing and "Heads Up" before "Foxtrotting Oscar"
Old Oct 31st 2006, 5:25 am
Forum Regular

IainW is just really niceIainW is just really niceIainW is just really niceIainW is just really niceIainW is just really niceIainW is just really niceIainW is just really niceIainW is just really niceIainW is just really niceIainW is just really niceIainW is just really nice

Really?? Lived there over 40 years & my idea of a bash was when someone was having a party...celebration type event.....as in having a birthday bash!! I dont doubt you just never heard it used that way before myself!!
'The' bash as opposed to 'a' bash. Hear it all the time. On the news the police will often say someone was 'bashed' rather than assaulted or beaten up.
Old Oct 31st 2006, 6:03 am
Account Closed

Apple12 is a glorious beacon of lightApple12 is a glorious beacon of lightApple12 is a glorious beacon of lightApple12 is a glorious beacon of lightApple12 is a glorious beacon of lightApple12 is a glorious beacon of lightApple12 is a glorious beacon of lightApple12 is a glorious beacon of lightApple12 is a glorious beacon of lightApple12 is a glorious beacon of lightApple12 is a glorious beacon of light

'The' bash as opposed to 'a' bash. Hear it all the time. On the news the police will often say someone was 'bashed' rather than assaulted or beaten up.
aaah, not "a bash", but to be bashed up.
Noun = party, verb = beaten up.
Now you make a bit more sense
I have never heard anyone say someone has got *the* bash...
Old Oct 31st 2006, 6:08 am
sky
Banned

sky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Apple12
aaah, not "a bash", but to be bashed up.
Noun = party, verb = beaten up.
Now you make a bit more sense
I have never heard anyone say someone has got *the* bash...
I have, heard it lots.
Old Oct 31st 2006, 6:10 am
sky
Banned

sky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond repute

One of my friends got 'the bash' regularly from her violent father when she was little
Old Oct 31st 2006, 6:11 am
Forum Regular

Tooanfrom has much to be proud ofTooanfrom has much to be proud ofTooanfrom has much to be proud ofTooanfrom has much to be proud ofTooanfrom has much to be proud ofTooanfrom has much to be proud ofTooanfrom has much to be proud ofTooanfrom has much to be proud ofTooanfrom has much to be proud ofTooanfrom has much to be proud ofTooanfrom has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by sky
I have, heard it lots.
Not only heard it heaps--but have seen it dished out. Worked in a jail
Old Oct 31st 2006, 12:27 pm
Mrs Shep USCIS Graduate

shepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond repute

YEs have heard bashed being used when meaning being beaten up but never just bash. You guys obviously hang out in a different area than I did or my family does now cos they dont hear it used in that form either
Old Oct 31st 2006, 5:45 pm
sky
Banned

Gosh you know how to turn a thread sour Shepslady
Old Oct 31st 2006, 9:14 pm
Mrs Shep USCIS Graduate

Originally Posted by sky
Gosh you know how to turn a thread sour Shepslady
Pray tell how is that turning a thread sour??? I was merely stating something that I personally hadnt heard of before. In no way was I being rude or critical of anyone. Obviously your idea of sour is far different than mine.
Old Nov 1st 2006, 2:07 am
Banned

Campbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to behold

Interesting thread:

Yeea, yeea, yeea, yeea, yeea
Old Nov 1st 2006, 6:32 am
Forum Regular

SecretSquirrel has much to be proud ofSecretSquirrel has much to be proud ofSecretSquirrel has much to be proud ofSecretSquirrel has much to be proud ofSecretSquirrel has much to be proud ofSecretSquirrel has much to be proud ofSecretSquirrel has much to be proud ofSecretSquirrel has much to be proud ofSecretSquirrel has much to be proud ofSecretSquirrel has much to be proud ofSecretSquirrel has much to be proud of

Pray tell how is that turning a thread sour??? I was merely stating something that I personally hadnt heard of before. In no way was I being rude or critical of anyone. Obviously your idea of sour is far different than mine.
maybe where you come from sour means something else too
Old Nov 1st 2006, 7:50 am
BE Enthusiast

cottageinthesky is a name known to allcottageinthesky is a name known to allcottageinthesky is a name known to allcottageinthesky is a name known to allcottageinthesky is a name known to allcottageinthesky is a name known to allcottageinthesky is a name known to allcottageinthesky is a name known to allcottageinthesky is a name known to allcottageinthesky is a name known to allcottageinthesky is a name known to all

Originally Posted by sky
Kiwis don't move house .... they 'shift'
And the teachers don't tell my son off at school ... he says they 'growl' at him.
I went to play badminton and was confronted with a large notice on the door say "Div Training next Tuesday" - I had to explain to my kiwi club members that in England, we didn't have to train divs, they occurred naturally or by in-breeding.
Old Nov 1st 2006, 7:57 am
sky
Banned

Originally Posted by cottageinthesky
I went to play badminton and was confronted with a large notice on the door say "Div Training next Tuesday" - I had to explain to my kiwi club members that in England, we didn't have to train divs, they occurred naturally or by in-breeding.
lol

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.