Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Kiwi ways of saying stuff

Kiwi ways of saying stuff

Old Oct 28th 2006, 8:58 pm
Account Closed

Apple12 is a glorious beacon of lightApple12 is a glorious beacon of lightApple12 is a glorious beacon of lightApple12 is a glorious beacon of lightApple12 is a glorious beacon of lightApple12 is a glorious beacon of lightApple12 is a glorious beacon of lightApple12 is a glorious beacon of lightApple12 is a glorious beacon of lightApple12 is a glorious beacon of lightApple12 is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Kiwi ways of saying stuff

Originally Posted by brussels_sprout
"Giving someone the head-up" is the strangest NZ expression that i have heard (i have not got there yet), which means "enlightening" or "informing"
"heads up" ie raising one's eyes from one's work to listen to another.
Old Oct 28th 2006, 9:08 pm
BE Enthusiast

brussels_sprout is a splendid one to beholdbrussels_sprout is a splendid one to beholdbrussels_sprout is a splendid one to beholdbrussels_sprout is a splendid one to beholdbrussels_sprout is a splendid one to beholdbrussels_sprout is a splendid one to beholdbrussels_sprout is a splendid one to beholdbrussels_sprout is a splendid one to beholdbrussels_sprout is a splendid one to beholdbrussels_sprout is a splendid one to beholdbrussels_sprout is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Apple12
"heads up" ie raising one's eyes from one's work to listen to another.
I haven't got to NZ yet, thanks for the heads up on that !
Old Oct 28th 2006, 9:14 pm
you dewty owld maan!

lardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by brussels_sprout
"Giving someone the head-up" is the strangest NZ expression that i have heard (i have not got there yet), which means "enlightening" or "informing"
that's in common use in the UK and US...... as "heads-up" meaning similar to the old "SP" (sit. rep. or state of play)
Old Oct 28th 2006, 11:22 pm
By name and by nature

Batty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by poppets
Sparrow fart - very early in the morning, sunrise
Thanks for this - someone sent me an email with this at the end of it the other day and I had no idea what she was talking about
Old Oct 28th 2006, 11:30 pm
P2L
BE Forum Addict

P2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Batty
Thanks for this - someone sent me an email with this at the end of it the other day and I had no idea what she was talking about

One I heard on the radio the other day for the Uk was Witches Knickers!!!! (Apparantly what they call old carrier bags hanging from trees)
Old Oct 28th 2006, 11:31 pm
you dewty owld maan!

lardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by poppets
Sparrow fart - very early in the morning, sunrise
also used my Geordie mate but he may have learned it from the anti-podes as he was in the merchant navy!
Old Oct 29th 2006, 12:11 am
Mrs Shep USCIS Graduate

shepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond repute

THANKYOU ALL so much for such a hillarious read. Love the way you all hear what us Kiwis say. Good thing some of us dont mind having the piss taken out of ourselves huh?
While thats how you all hear what is being said it really isnt how its being said at all. Bit like someone hearing their own voice after its been recorded for the first time...hard to believe its you & we've all been guilty of saying at some time"Is that really how I sound?"

Laugh all you like cos to be perfectly honest all us Kiwis take the piss out of the different accents you all have too. My personal favourites come from Liverpool & London. Love the cockney lingo, but then my old Granny was a cockney so was well used to it.

Living here in the US they love to take the piss out of me for the way I say Pepsi. I think they are all bonkers myself, they are the ones with the accent not me!!!!
Old Oct 29th 2006, 3:27 am
Member of Mumo-land

mumomonty is a glorious beacon of lightmumomonty is a glorious beacon of lightmumomonty is a glorious beacon of lightmumomonty is a glorious beacon of lightmumomonty is a glorious beacon of lightmumomonty is a glorious beacon of lightmumomonty is a glorious beacon of lightmumomonty is a glorious beacon of lightmumomonty is a glorious beacon of lightmumomonty is a glorious beacon of lightmumomonty is a glorious beacon of light

It's all 'turned to custard'

Meaning: It's gone titsup / wrong.

Q: How are you today?
Reply: Box a birds (feelilng good and chirpy).
Old Oct 29th 2006, 3:49 am
sky
Banned

sky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond repute

Feeling a bit crook meaning they're ill.
Old Oct 29th 2006, 10:37 pm
Forum Regular

BobK will become famous soon enoughBobK will become famous soon enough

The plural of "a woman" is "woman" rather than "women" and its not a pronunciation thing either.

for example:

NZ was the first country in the world to give woman the vote.

Once you tune to it you hear it everywhere.

Bob
Old Oct 29th 2006, 10:59 pm
Mrs Shep USCIS Graduate

shepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sky
Feeling a bit crook meaning they're ill.
sorry to say this but you live there now so how long before it stops becoming them & us.....as in they're ill.....are you never going to feel like you belong there or will you make the journey back to the UK again & make that home for you once again?
Old Oct 29th 2006, 11:03 pm
Banned

Jack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by shepslady
sorry to say this but you live there now so how long before it stops becoming them & us.....as in they're ill.....are you never going to feel like you belong there or will you make the journey back to the UK again & make that home for you once again?
I think you will find she doesnt mean it like us and them. I think she's writting it in the 3rd person
Old Oct 30th 2006, 12:13 am
sky
Banned

sky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jack Daws
I think you will find she doesnt mean it like us and them. I think she's writting it in the 3rd person
That's right Jack Daws
Old Oct 30th 2006, 3:19 am
Forum Regular

IainW is just really niceIainW is just really niceIainW is just really niceIainW is just really niceIainW is just really niceIainW is just really niceIainW is just really niceIainW is just really niceIainW is just really niceIainW is just really niceIainW is just really nice

The bash = beaten up

As in "He got the bash last Saturday night".
Old Oct 30th 2006, 10:21 pm
Mrs Shep USCIS Graduate

Originally Posted by Jack Daws
Point taken....my apologies

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.