Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Kiwi ways of saying stuff

Kiwi ways of saying stuff

Old Mar 13th 2007, 8:53 am
Here in Dunedin

southerner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Kiwi ways of saying stuff

Can I just say that I too am a fan of watching sportswomen in prime time (eyes glazing over)
Old Mar 13th 2007, 8:56 am
Banned

Campbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Apple12
Why? Do you also have something to say about women's sport?
Nope, I'll just get back to my knitting
Old Mar 13th 2007, 11:10 am
Galaxy 1: Cadbury's 0

uk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by brussels_sprout
"Giving someone the head-up" is the strangest NZ expression that i have heard (i have not got there yet), which means "enlightening" or "informing"
Common in England too. Same meaning. But it's 'heads up'.
Old Mar 13th 2007, 11:18 am
Galaxy 1: Cadbury's 0

uk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by shepslady
LoL Maz I wouldnt at all be surpised if your American Hubby has trouble understanding our Kiwi accent. While most people here seem to like my accent many of them after almost 7 years still struggle with it Sometimes I put it down to ignorance & thats mainly pointed to some of my family here, they just find it easier to plead ignorance rather than take the time to actually listen!!
Hello Cyndi,

Hope you are doing well. Just spotted the attached baby pic - are you a proud Grandma? Or maybe you were but with a new addition? Memory's failing me!!
Old Mar 13th 2007, 2:24 pm
Mrs Shep USCIS Graduate

shepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by uk+kiwi
Hello Cyndi,

Hope you are doing well. Just spotted the attached baby pic - are you a proud Grandma? Or maybe you were but with a new addition? Memory's failing me!!
Hi
Yes we have a new addition....my first grandchild, a girl is 9 now & the new addition was born on New Years Day. Hes doing real well & its lovely having the one of each which makes me feel rather spoilt. Life is treating me well righ now & hope it stays that way for a while at least. How has it been treating you?
Old Mar 13th 2007, 5:53 pm
Maz

Maz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by The Weezer
My mate and I were trying to choose which chocolate bar to buy.
He pointed to one and said, "This one's bitter." I said, "You want
some dark chocolate?" He said, "Yis, that one's bitter."

This went on a few more times before I realized he meant "better."
So how do they pronounce "bitter" then? As in "not sweet"?
Old Mar 13th 2007, 8:02 pm
BE Enthusiast

The Weezer has a reputation beyond reputeThe Weezer has a reputation beyond reputeThe Weezer has a reputation beyond reputeThe Weezer has a reputation beyond reputeThe Weezer has a reputation beyond reputeThe Weezer has a reputation beyond reputeThe Weezer has a reputation beyond reputeThe Weezer has a reputation beyond reputeThe Weezer has a reputation beyond reputeThe Weezer has a reputation beyond reputeThe Weezer has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Maz
So how do they pronounce "bitter" then? As in "not sweet"?
I could detect very little difference. Usually it's not so hard to figure out
accents in the context of the situation. In this case, it was tricky.
Old Mar 13th 2007, 8:28 pm
Banned

Campbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by uk+kiwi
Common in England too. Same meaning. But it's 'heads up'.

Heads up started as a military term.

It was the term used for aircraft using target & nav information on the actual window of the cockpit, sometimes displayed in the pilot’s visor. Heads-up meaning that the pilot didn’t have to look down at the instruments whilst flying the plane and therefore literally – heads up.

Quite a few car manufacturers are now designing cars with information being displayed on the windshield in a heads-up fashion.

I guess it means the availability of information without distraction

A bit like sitting in the office and getting a new alert that someone has replied to the topic on the BE forum .
Old Mar 13th 2007, 11:32 pm
BE Enthusiast

owen is a splendid one to beholdowen is a splendid one to beholdowen is a splendid one to beholdowen is a splendid one to beholdowen is a splendid one to beholdowen is a splendid one to beholdowen is a splendid one to beholdowen is a splendid one to beholdowen is a splendid one to beholdowen is a splendid one to beholdowen is a splendid one to behold

I was very baffled by my 5yr old nephew twitterring about the Llama in the boot of the car. We had just left a repair shop. "You know what I mean, you cut the grass with it!!"

I must admit I've got a long way to go with the accent, I was practicing reading out the earlier lists and my voice keeps slipping into a south african one, and I never been there!!!!
Old Mar 13th 2007, 11:37 pm
BE Enthusiast

owen is a splendid one to beholdowen is a splendid one to beholdowen is a splendid one to beholdowen is a splendid one to beholdowen is a splendid one to beholdowen is a splendid one to beholdowen is a splendid one to beholdowen is a splendid one to beholdowen is a splendid one to beholdowen is a splendid one to beholdowen is a splendid one to behold

Oh yeah and works the way round, my nephew can't understand the lancastrian accent anymore. He was following his father round the house like a shadow one sunday. I happened to ask him if he was having ‘a father/son day’ to which he responded with a puzzled expression and scrunched up nose; ‘fart on Sunday?’
Old Mar 14th 2007, 4:33 am
sky
Banned

sky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by owen
Oh yeah and works the way round, my nephew can't understand the lancastrian accent anymore. He was following his father round the house like a shadow one sunday. I happened to ask him if he was having ‘a father/son day’ to which he responded with a puzzled expression and scrunched up nose; ‘fart on Sunday?’
Made me laugh
Old Mar 14th 2007, 10:15 am
BE Forum Addict

SarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond repute

One of OH's friends rang today.... he asked if OH was in and I said no he was at work.... then he started to speak really quickly and I did not understand anything he said after that apart from the word Hamilton..... so I still dont always understand the kiwi accent and Ive been here nearly 2 years.....no hope for me!!..... doh!