Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Kiwi ways of saying stuff

Kiwi ways of saying stuff

Old Mar 12th 2007, 7:43 am
sky
Banned

sky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Kiwi ways of saying stuff

I was actually born and brought up in Bramley and the other day an elderly customer came into the cafe and he was born in Bramley too, had a good old natter about our home town. It's not such a nice place now but he last saw it about 40yrs ago and it was a lovely old village kind of place then until they knocked the townstreet down and all the lovely stone back to backs
Old Mar 12th 2007, 10:47 am
conquering the world!

karonious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by RobClubley
I find I have to slow down too - my accent is Wakefield and I too have been accused of Irishness

Small world! Where in Leeds are you from? My wife grew up in Beeston which is where we lived for the four years before moving to NZ
When asked what part of Ireland I come from, I usually reply "the scottish part!"
Old Mar 12th 2007, 12:52 pm
Mrs Shep USCIS Graduate

shepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by RobClubley
Sorry, didn't mean to seem rude or offend you with my comment.

And no it's no big deal at all, just an observation.
You didnt offend me at all I simply wondered if you heard it differently than we do thats all. Im one Kiwi who doesnt notice it & was just curious. Maybe some do notice it but this was also just my personal comment on how I hear things.

I have to wonder why people who havent had much experience with peoples accents often ask if your Irish?? Over here in he US Im often asked if Im Irish when I laugh & say no Im not they often reply with oh so are you Scottish then? The third & final choice is usually English but occassionally someone will ask if Im Australian. Now as "most" of you know us Kiwis dont sound anything like any of the above mentioned people, just as none of you sound Irish to my ears. Gotta laugh at it though dont you
Old Mar 12th 2007, 5:38 pm
Happy in Wellington

RobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond repute

I was asked if I was Irish in Spain too by a waiter!

To be sure
Old Mar 12th 2007, 8:13 pm
Banned

Campbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by shepslady
Gotta laugh at it though don’t you

My best is,

You hear this really broad Billy Connelly accent and you ask the dude, “where about in England are you from?” Gotta be ready to duck on for the response though ! They generally settle down once I explain I’m Scots !

I’ll awa tae the soup noo
Old Mar 12th 2007, 9:07 pm
WAS bored stiff in USA

cyndi has much to be proud ofcyndi has much to be proud ofcyndi has much to be proud ofcyndi has much to be proud ofcyndi has much to be proud ofcyndi has much to be proud ofcyndi has much to be proud ofcyndi has much to be proud ofcyndi has much to be proud ofcyndi has much to be proud ofcyndi has much to be proud of

I was always asked if I was Australian in the States. I've got a broad geordie accent so I'm sure I don't sound like Crocodile Dundee
Old Mar 12th 2007, 10:23 pm
Maz

Maz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cyndi
I was always asked if I was Australian in the States. I've got a broad geordie accent so I'm sure I don't sound like Crocodile Dundee
Here in the US I've had people try to be clever (I think they were trying to show that they knew the name of more than one english-speaking country outside North America) and ask me if I'm South African, or Welsh... weird!
Old Mar 12th 2007, 10:41 pm
BE Forum Addict

Jude J is a splendid one to beholdJude J is a splendid one to beholdJude J is a splendid one to beholdJude J is a splendid one to beholdJude J is a splendid one to beholdJude J is a splendid one to beholdJude J is a splendid one to beholdJude J is a splendid one to beholdJude J is a splendid one to beholdJude J is a splendid one to beholdJude J is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Maz
Here in the US I've had people try to be clever (I think they were trying to show that they knew the name of more than one english-speaking country outside North America) and ask me if I'm South African, or Welsh... weird!
When I moved from Essex to Leicestershire I had more than one person ask where in Australia I was from.
And although I said 100's of times I was from Essex, I was referred to as Jude, the one from London.
Old Mar 13th 2007, 4:00 am
BE Enthusiast

The Weezer has a reputation beyond reputeThe Weezer has a reputation beyond reputeThe Weezer has a reputation beyond reputeThe Weezer has a reputation beyond reputeThe Weezer has a reputation beyond reputeThe Weezer has a reputation beyond reputeThe Weezer has a reputation beyond reputeThe Weezer has a reputation beyond reputeThe Weezer has a reputation beyond reputeThe Weezer has a reputation beyond reputeThe Weezer has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mazi
They rarely use the present perfect correctly (especially when combined with a modal):
They say "She must OF had a good time with the bros up in Northland, ay?"

instead of "She must HAVE had a good time up in Northland with the nice young Maori gentlemen, mustn't she?"

Being an English teacher, and something of a grammarian, this makes me want to stick needles in my eyes - or someone else's.

But it's all good, ay.
Hello Mazi,

What do you think of these?

Teacher Aide vs. Teacher's Aide

On the most recent NZQA math exam I looked at, the children
were instructed to "Show all working."

Last edited by The Weezer; Mar 13th 2007 at 4:13 am. Reason: Added salutation
Old Mar 13th 2007, 4:03 am
BE Enthusiast

The Weezer has a reputation beyond reputeThe Weezer has a reputation beyond reputeThe Weezer has a reputation beyond reputeThe Weezer has a reputation beyond reputeThe Weezer has a reputation beyond reputeThe Weezer has a reputation beyond reputeThe Weezer has a reputation beyond reputeThe Weezer has a reputation beyond reputeThe Weezer has a reputation beyond reputeThe Weezer has a reputation beyond reputeThe Weezer has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SarahB
I rarely notice the accent now but the other week I met somebody at the livery yard and she said her name was Pem.... I said "Pem?" and she said it again and I realised she meant Pam.
My mate and I were trying to choose which chocolate bar to buy.
He pointed to one and said, "This one's bitter." I said, "You want
some dark chocolate?" He said, "Yis, that one's bitter."

This went on a few more times before I realized he meant "better."
Old Mar 13th 2007, 4:12 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by SecretSquirrel
good dicking is very expensive in new zealand huh?
Probably why they play and watch so much sports.

In NZ, the word "rugby" and it's variant, "footy" is spoken more times per day by every man, woman, and child than any other country IN THE WORLD!!!
Old Mar 13th 2007, 4:25 am
Mrs Shep USCIS Graduate

shepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by The Weezer

In NZ, the word "rugby" and it's variant, "footy" is spoken more times per day by every man, woman, and child than any other country IN THE WORLD!!!

IS there a problem with that My kids all played rugby from the age of three.....they are now in their late 20's, early 30's & still eat sleep dream & play rugby. Its kept them fit healthy & out of trouble so no problem with that for me
Old Mar 13th 2007, 6:27 am
Account Closed

Apple12 is a glorious beacon of lightApple12 is a glorious beacon of lightApple12 is a glorious beacon of lightApple12 is a glorious beacon of lightApple12 is a glorious beacon of lightApple12 is a glorious beacon of lightApple12 is a glorious beacon of lightApple12 is a glorious beacon of lightApple12 is a glorious beacon of lightApple12 is a glorious beacon of lightApple12 is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by The Weezer

How bizaare, I have not noticed anything of the like at all. Compared to football mania in the UK, what you see is mild here. Rugby isn't really followed by most of my friends. Watching test netball at prime time is pretty cool though, nice to see women's sport being prime time and getting good ratings.
Old Mar 13th 2007, 7:08 am
Banned

Campbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Apple12
How bizaare, I have not noticed anything of the like at all. Compared to football mania in the UK, what you see is mild here. Rugby isn't really followed by most of my friends. Watching test netball at prime time is pretty cool though, nice to see women's sport being prime time and getting good ratings.
Hmmm, not too sure if I would shout too loud about that dude

'nother picture for you..
Attached Thumbnails Kiwi ways of saying stuff-humiliation.jpg  
Old Mar 13th 2007, 7:41 am
Account Closed

Apple12 is a glorious beacon of lightApple12 is a glorious beacon of lightApple12 is a glorious beacon of lightApple12 is a glorious beacon of lightApple12 is a glorious beacon of lightApple12 is a glorious beacon of lightApple12 is a glorious beacon of lightApple12 is a glorious beacon of lightApple12 is a glorious beacon of lightApple12 is a glorious beacon of lightApple12 is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Campbells
Hmmm, not too sure if I would shout too loud about that dude
Why? Do you also have something to say about women's sport?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.