Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Kiwi ways of saying stuff

Kiwi ways of saying stuff

Old Mar 6th 2007, 4:55 am
Forum Regular

Tooanfrom has much to be proud ofTooanfrom has much to be proud ofTooanfrom has much to be proud ofTooanfrom has much to be proud ofTooanfrom has much to be proud ofTooanfrom has much to be proud ofTooanfrom has much to be proud ofTooanfrom has much to be proud ofTooanfrom has much to be proud ofTooanfrom has much to be proud ofTooanfrom has much to be proud of
Default Re: Kiwi ways of saying stuff

Unfortunately I cannot reply to this subject as according to the powers that be, I am, quote, "Too abrasive-and am upsetting the "Ladies who Lunch"-end quote

So you lot that live in your nice "non abrasive" world continue doing so--and me?-- I will continue to live in the real world
Old Mar 6th 2007, 5:28 am
BE Enthusiast

StevieB has much to be proud ofStevieB has much to be proud ofStevieB has much to be proud ofStevieB has much to be proud ofStevieB has much to be proud ofStevieB has much to be proud ofStevieB has much to be proud ofStevieB has much to be proud ofStevieB has much to be proud ofStevieB has much to be proud ofStevieB has much to be proud of

I've found a few things since starting work that confused me at first. Every day one of us has to take a turn at being 'Duty Officer' for people who are just starting on probation or those whose probation officer's aren't available. For quite a while I'd hear the kiwis saying "I hate Judy" or, more alarming "Can anyone do Judy for me?" Took me a while to realise they meant 'Duty' and not some woman I hadn't met who was a pain in the arse!

Also had people coming in to see their probation officer, asking for 'Alan'. Very confusing as no-one by that name works there. Finally figured out that it's the way they say 'Ellen'!
Old Mar 6th 2007, 6:51 am
Banned

Campbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to behold

There are also the different schools here too - for example...

Whangaparaoa (where Tooanfrom is listed as residing) can be pronounced,

Fan- ga – par-o-a

and the other school says

Pronounced – whan-ga- par-o-a

I must admit that the Kiwi accent did sound abrasive to us at first and it can be rather difficult to understand when they speak fast. You do get used to it and as time goes by you will not even notice it.

But yes, it is good to have a laugh.

I guess the Kiwi’s probably think -

‘O’ the ‘ell ‘r’ these geysers ‘finking we doesn’t speak right. Don’ no wat you mean . Anyone fancy a cuppa tea?

If you want to go north,

C U Jimeh, ur nae` yeas at speekin, aright. Idgit…

Blah blah blah blah blah blah , pint o' lager blah blah blah n' e peeket 'o' crisps

Of course there’s a few more

Cheers ………..
Old Mar 6th 2007, 7:14 am
BE Forum Addict

SarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond repute

I rarely notice the accent now but the other week I met somebody at the livery yard and she said her name was Pem.... I said "Pem?" and she said it again and I realised she meant Pam.
Old Mar 6th 2007, 4:23 pm
Maz

Maz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tooanfrom
Unfortunately I cannot reply to this subject as according to the powers that be, I am, quote, "Too abrasive-and am upsetting the "Ladies who Lunch"-end quote

So you lot that live in your nice "non abrasive" world continue doing so--and me?-- I will continue to live in the real world
So you posted to say that you're not going to post...

Originally Posted by SarahB
I rarely notice the accent now but the other week I met somebody at the livery yard and she said her name was Pem.... I said "Pem?" and she said it again and I realised she meant Pam.
My SIL is called Pem as well.
Old Mar 6th 2007, 8:57 pm
BE Enthusiast

The Weezer has a reputation beyond reputeThe Weezer has a reputation beyond reputeThe Weezer has a reputation beyond reputeThe Weezer has a reputation beyond reputeThe Weezer has a reputation beyond reputeThe Weezer has a reputation beyond reputeThe Weezer has a reputation beyond reputeThe Weezer has a reputation beyond reputeThe Weezer has a reputation beyond reputeThe Weezer has a reputation beyond reputeThe Weezer has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BobK
The plural of "a woman" is "woman" rather than "women" and its not a pronunciation thing either.

for example:

NZ was the first country in the world to give woman the vote.

Once you tune to it you hear it everywhere.

Bob
Very perceptive and true.
Did you notice this yourself or did you read it somewhere?
I noticed it too, and found it interesting and wanted to see if
anyone's written about it, so I looked in several books on New Zealand English, but I have not found mention of it.
Even more interesting, I've asked a few NZers about this, but none
were aware there was a difference in their pronunication as compared to other English speakers.

http://www.listener.co.nz/issue/3449...D698C51CC77FC7

If you scroll down the page I've linked to, you will see mention of this phenomenon. This is the single instance I have found in the Internet or in books. I have not done an exhaustive search, but I'm surprised by how
hard it was to find something.

On a different topic, I find the angry letter about bare feet interesting.
(also in the link above).
Old Mar 7th 2007, 12:44 am
BE Forum Addict

danny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond repute

Very interesting bare foot letter - one would assume that shoes carry the same dirt as bare feet

Must listen out for the use of "woman"

My husband has just rang telecom to set up a new account as we move into our own home on Friday and the lady asked him if he was a "swinger", now we're both interested (probably for different reasons) in finding out what on earth she meant
ps
Danny said he answered no
Donnaf
Old Mar 7th 2007, 1:12 am
Happy in Wellington

RobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond repute

I'd like to know too!

How about "out in the wopwops" or the "wops" meaning the middle of nowhere, out in the country, that sort of thing
Old Mar 7th 2007, 1:35 am
Happy in Wellington

RobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond repute

Actually that's reminded me, I have no idea where this comes from but I've heard having a fun drive in your car referred to as "having a fang"

After our South Island trip I posted a few photos on the local VAG car club forum and someone's response was "It looks like you had a good fang in the wopwops!"
What worries me is that it made sense to me

Oh yeah and bogans - roughly (excuse the pun) the equivalent of chav/pikey
Old Mar 7th 2007, 3:52 am
sky
Banned

sky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by danny.f
Very interesting bare foot letter - one would assume that shoes carry the same dirt as bare feet

Must listen out for the use of "woman"

My husband has just rang telecom to set up a new account as we move into our own home on Friday and the lady asked him if he was a "swinger", now we're both interested (probably for different reasons) in finding out what on earth she meant
ps
Danny said he answered no
Donnaf

Maybe she was just being a bit fresh with your hubby cos I don't remember ever hearing that term for anything other than you know what
Old Mar 8th 2007, 2:59 pm
you dewty owld maan!

lardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sky
Maybe she was just being a bit fresh with your hubby cos I don't remember ever hearing that term for anything other than you know what
hehe --- might try that line out at the "pot luck tea" we are taking the kids to tonight and see what happens..........

or not
Old Mar 8th 2007, 3:16 pm
Account Closed

mazi is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by lardyl
hehe --- might try that line out at the "pot luck tea" we are taking the kids to tonight and see what happens..........

or not
AARRRGGGGHHHH evil pot luck
Old Mar 8th 2007, 3:22 pm
Account Closed

mazi is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by lardyl

or not
And why are they having 'tea' at night? Tea happens at approximately 4 in the afternoon.
Old Mar 8th 2007, 3:32 pm
you dewty owld maan!

lardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond repute

woman vs women.....

mmm....noticed this kinda thing in newspapers and signs....where the plural is not used, eg sign says: Park those trolley here (or words to that effect), rather than Park those trolleys here .... maybe it has something to do with not being able to decide what the plural should look like or the fact that you (as an individual) are unlikely to have more than one at any time..... any ideas???
not sure why

Last edited by lardyl; Mar 8th 2007 at 3:35 pm. Reason: drunk!!!!
Old Mar 8th 2007, 3:35 pm
you dewty owld maan!

Originally Posted by mazi
And why are they having 'tea' at night? Tea happens at approximately 4 in the afternoon.
afternoon tea love, morning tea is elevenses.....
The lady who invited us called it that but I suppose her hubbie was a brit until age 4 and she lived in London for a few years......
we are starting early mind as the little..ee and the bubba are coming too.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.