Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Kiwi ways of saying stuff

Kiwi ways of saying stuff

Old Oct 28th 2006, 9:32 am
BE Forum Addict

poppets has a reputation beyond reputepoppets has a reputation beyond reputepoppets has a reputation beyond reputepoppets has a reputation beyond reputepoppets has a reputation beyond reputepoppets has a reputation beyond reputepoppets has a reputation beyond reputepoppets has a reputation beyond reputepoppets has a reputation beyond reputepoppets has a reputation beyond reputepoppets has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Kiwi ways of saying stuff

Sparrow fart - very early in the morning, sunrise

heres some for Kiwi bar ,
Handle - pint of beer
Scull - consume, drink quickly

Last edited by poppets; Oct 28th 2006 at 9:34 am.
Old Oct 28th 2006, 9:32 am
sky
Banned

sky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond repute

Morning break is called smoko
Old Oct 28th 2006, 9:53 am
Member of Mumo-land

mumomonty is a glorious beacon of lightmumomonty is a glorious beacon of lightmumomonty is a glorious beacon of lightmumomonty is a glorious beacon of lightmumomonty is a glorious beacon of lightmumomonty is a glorious beacon of lightmumomonty is a glorious beacon of lightmumomonty is a glorious beacon of lightmumomonty is a glorious beacon of lightmumomonty is a glorious beacon of lightmumomonty is a glorious beacon of light

someone 'gets stink' with you. (they're annoyed with you).
Old Oct 28th 2006, 10:03 am
Account Closed

mazi is an unknown quantity at this point

They rarely use the present perfect correctly (especially when combined with a modal):
They say "She must OF had a good time with the bros up in Northland, ay?"

instead of "She must HAVE had a good time up in Northland with the nice young Maori gentlemen, mustn't she?"

Being an English teacher, and something of a grammarian, this makes me want to stick needles in my eyes - or someone else's.

But it's all good, ay.
Old Oct 28th 2006, 10:54 am
Melbourne Australia

thebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mazi
They rarely use the present perfect correctly (especially when combined with a modal):
They say "She must OF had a good time with the bros up in Northland, ay?"

instead of "She must HAVE had a good time up in Northland with the nice young Maori gentlemen, mustn't she?"

Being an English teacher, and something of a grammarian, this makes me want to stick needles in my eyes - or someone else's.

But it's all good, ay.
Popular girl she must be up north then?
Old Oct 28th 2006, 10:56 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by thebears
Popular girl she must be up north then?
Indeed she was, gawd bless her
Old Oct 28th 2006, 11:20 am
Forum Regular

SecretSquirrel has much to be proud ofSecretSquirrel has much to be proud ofSecretSquirrel has much to be proud ofSecretSquirrel has much to be proud ofSecretSquirrel has much to be proud ofSecretSquirrel has much to be proud ofSecretSquirrel has much to be proud ofSecretSquirrel has much to be proud ofSecretSquirrel has much to be proud ofSecretSquirrel has much to be proud ofSecretSquirrel has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by sky
Kiwis don't move house .... they 'shift'
And the teachers don't tell my son off at school ... he says they 'growl' at him.
surely they "shuft"?
Old Oct 28th 2006, 12:21 pm
By name and by nature

Batty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond repute

They say "She must OF

No. It's not must OF - it's must've. It's just the accent. Irish people use it too so I knew this one before I came here. It's a bastardisation but not as grammatically incorrect as must OF would be.
Old Oct 28th 2006, 12:36 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Batty
No. It's not must OF - it's must've. It's just the accent. Irish people use it too so I knew this one before I came here. It's a bastardisation but not as grammatically incorrect as must OF would be.

Au contraire - I am fully aware of the 'must've' usage. I teach this to my students all the time (and the reason it sounds like 'must of' is because of the weak vowel sound we have in English called the schwa). But they don't just SAY it, they WRITE it! I have a good friend here in Italy who is a Kiwi (she has a degree so no one could accuse her of being stupid) and even she writes it as 'must of'.
Old Oct 28th 2006, 1:36 pm
By name and by nature

Batty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond repute

Au contraire - I am fully aware of the 'must've' usage. I teach this to my students all the time (and the reason it sounds like 'must of' is because of the weak vowel sound we have in English called the schwa). But they don't just SAY it, they WRITE it! I have a good friend here in Italy who is a Kiwi (she has a degree so no one could accuse her of being stupid) and even she writes it as 'must of'.
Ah! I fall into this trap too. I'm a bit of a purist when it comes to grammar (and spelling) but just because people can't spell or have bad grammar doesn't mean they are stupid (as much as it pains me to say it). My sister has a double first in mathematics and can't spell to save her life.

I just asked my Kiwi husband and he says 'pronounced must Of - written must've'. So there!
Old Oct 28th 2006, 2:56 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Batty
Ah! I fall into this trap too. I'm a bit of a purist when it comes to grammar (and spelling) but just because people can't spell or have bad grammar doesn't mean they are stupid (as much as it pains me to say it). My sister has a double first in mathematics and can't spell to save her life.

I just asked my Kiwi husband and he says 'pronounced must Of - written must've'. So there!
No, it's quite right to say people are not necessarily stupid because they can't spell (although some people can't spell AND are stupid, but that's different). My mum is one of the most intelligent people I know and she can't spell either.

But it's not pronounced must OF - the schwa is not an 'o' sound as in hot, that is a different symbol altogether - it is a weak sound ( a bit like ugh), like the sound you hear towards the end of the word immigrant, just before the 'nt'
Old Oct 28th 2006, 3:00 pm
Banned

Jack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond repute

it is a weak sound ( a bit like ugh), like the sound you hear towards the end of the word immigrant, just before the 'nt'
And ignorant.

See I is cleva
Old Oct 28th 2006, 3:05 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Jack Daws
And ignorant.

See I is cleva
Indeed you is, and a bit of a larf too by the sounds of fings
Old Oct 28th 2006, 7:50 pm
you dewty owld maan!

lardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by poppets
eh: Said like the letter 'a', this is often used at the end of sentence to prompt a question. For example, "That's a pretty cool car eh". Also replaces the word 'what?' if you didn't hear someone.
kinda like the Scouser "a....a.....a.....a.....a....a....a" then?
reminds me of all those pics on the internet a few years ago.....
Old Oct 28th 2006, 8:28 pm
BE Enthusiast

brussels_sprout is a splendid one to beholdbrussels_sprout is a splendid one to beholdbrussels_sprout is a splendid one to beholdbrussels_sprout is a splendid one to beholdbrussels_sprout is a splendid one to beholdbrussels_sprout is a splendid one to beholdbrussels_sprout is a splendid one to beholdbrussels_sprout is a splendid one to beholdbrussels_sprout is a splendid one to beholdbrussels_sprout is a splendid one to beholdbrussels_sprout is a splendid one to behold

"Giving someone the head-up" is the strangest NZ expression that i have heard (i have not got there yet), which means "enlightening" or "informing"

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.