Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Kiwi Professionalism

Kiwi Professionalism

Old Oct 20th 2014, 8:45 am
BE Forum Addict

Woodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Kiwi Professionalism

8 years for me and I'm still in denial about how awful it is here I must be still in the honeymoon period/holiday mode
Old Oct 20th 2014, 8:47 am
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

.....and do you know what.

I have lived here for over ten years . I know where I am , who I am and what we feel about all that has happened & where we find ourselves.

Nothing anyone writes on a forum like this would alter that for us & I really do not know why it would alter it for anyone else or why anyone would want to poke someone else in the eye over what they write about their migration experiences.

Come on !

We all do this brave thing. It may not turn out for the best or it may turn out for the best. Understand that and understand it is different for everyone.
Old Oct 20th 2014, 8:57 am
Truth is the safest lie.

Charismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond repute
Wink Re: Kiwi Professionalism

As a millennial I can't understand why any one person should ever be asked to put down their phone by another. Isn't access to information like a basic human right or something? You'll have to wrestle my smart phone from my cold dead hand!

Old people are mental about this. It's like they still live in this magical world where they believe that just because they come to or leave an office that work starts or stops. There is much tut-tutting if one does not attend the office at the correct time regardless of how arbitrary ones geographical location actually is to performing a task assigned. Paradoxically there is this whole charade they play about being reluctant to talk about work just because "...it's a quarter past eleven on a Wednesday night!" so they are not in the correct geographical location or attire. They want you to write a ten page report to explain a simple idea (they call it a "draft" but then criticise it as incomplete). When they need to build a database or download from the cloud though suddenly they have all the time in the world. Mentals.

In conclusion: Smart phones for everything, all the time and forever. Voluntarily contorting your body into unnatural positions is not an excuse not to chat on facebook or reply to a viber message. It's actually the perfect time to share a #selfie.
Old Oct 20th 2014, 11:29 am
BE Forum Addict

Assanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond repute

Well, maybe this was a satire and I am too dumb to recognize this or I am just old but there are benefits to silence, to being quiet, concentrated, focused. Also there are people that like it noisy and there are people that like it quiet. For both should be a place on this planet. A little bit of mutual consideration should be possible. No phones in yoga or meditation classes or concert or discussion groups or in churches or cinemas etc. Should be clear why people do like it quiet then.
Old Oct 20th 2014, 7:50 pm
BE Enthusiast

Mark Smith has a reputation beyond reputeMark Smith has a reputation beyond reputeMark Smith has a reputation beyond reputeMark Smith has a reputation beyond reputeMark Smith has a reputation beyond reputeMark Smith has a reputation beyond reputeMark Smith has a reputation beyond reputeMark Smith has a reputation beyond reputeMark Smith has a reputation beyond reputeMark Smith has a reputation beyond reputeMark Smith has a reputation beyond repute

Well as a Generation X I would be pretty miffed if I was paying for somebodies time/service for them to ignore that contract and use their cell phone (unless an emergency) and when I have a patient who picks up their cell phone in the middle of a consultation to chat, I will down instruments and stop. It's not a case of 24/7 access to information its just plain rude.
In conclusion everybody has different perceptions of acceptable behaviour and manners.
Old Oct 20th 2014, 8:28 pm
---

bourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond repute

Ooo, I would hate it if my yoga instructor was using her mobile during class. Yoga isn't just about bending and stretching; it's also about focus and mindfulness. Having said that, if I went to a class where the instructor was using one I would not be so arrogant as to ask him/her not to - I would just seek out a class that suited me better. I extra specially would not deduce that this was an example of a lack of Kiwi professionalism; that is absolutely hilarious chip-on-shoulder thinking

Though, I could easily get into a good rant about Kiwi lack of professionalism in some areas; I'm not saying it isn't an issue, just that the example above is a pathetic attempt to turn a personal moan into a bigger issue.
Old Oct 20th 2014, 8:33 pm
Life is what YOU make it.

Stormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bourbon-biscuit
Ooo, I would hate it if my yoga instructor was using her mobile during class. Yoga isn't just about bending and stretching; it's also about focus and mindfulness. Having said that, if I went to a class where the instructor was using one I would not be so arrogant as to ask him/her not to - I would just seek out a class that suited me better. I extra specially would not deduce that this was an example of a lack of Kiwi professionalism; that is absolutely hilarious chip-on-shoulder thinking

Though, I could easily get into a good rant about Kiwi lack of professionalism in some areas; I'm not saying it isn't an issue, just that the example above is a pathetic attempt to turn a personal moan into a bigger issue.
Exactly how most peeps would have handled the situation BB
Old Oct 20th 2014, 8:35 pm
---

bourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Builder UK

Not everybody sells a house in the south of England and moves here at 3:1 with a wad of cash ... <snip>
I do agree that there is a relationship between thinking NZ is paradise and coming over with enough cash to buy outright or have a much smaller mortgage for a much lovelier home. Let alone those who leave stressful jobs to work part time hours here. It's much less paradise-like when you are hard up and living in a cold, damp rental counting your dollars working all the hours you can. This is my current situation but I know it won't be forever (working through stage one of a most excellent plan) and I also know what it is to own your own home with a beautiful garden you have created that your kids run around in, so I am well placed to appreciate this without getting too despairing because this is not "it" for us, iyswim.
Old Oct 20th 2014, 9:25 pm
BE Enthusiast

Tom H has a reputation beyond reputeTom H has a reputation beyond reputeTom H has a reputation beyond reputeTom H has a reputation beyond reputeTom H has a reputation beyond reputeTom H has a reputation beyond reputeTom H has a reputation beyond reputeTom H has a reputation beyond reputeTom H has a reputation beyond reputeTom H has a reputation beyond reputeTom H has a reputation beyond repute

This scenario could happen anywhere in the world. My tennis coach spent more time playing snake on her Nokia 3310 than giving advice on how to improve peoples game.

Although the best time is when a waiter in the US does it, the arguing over your reasons why you're not getting any tip is something that well, is an experience. Yes waiter in the United Airlines lounge at Los Angeles Domestic Terminal
Old Oct 21st 2014, 2:02 am
Forum Regular

britsinnz has a reputation beyond reputebritsinnz has a reputation beyond reputebritsinnz has a reputation beyond reputebritsinnz has a reputation beyond reputebritsinnz has a reputation beyond reputebritsinnz has a reputation beyond reputebritsinnz has a reputation beyond reputebritsinnz has a reputation beyond reputebritsinnz has a reputation beyond reputebritsinnz has a reputation beyond reputebritsinnz has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=Tom H;11444559]This scenario could happen anywhere in the world. My tennis coach spent more time playing snake on her Nokia 3310 than giving advice on how to improve peoples game.

It happened a few times whilst I was a university lecturer in the UK. A student would be talking on their phone and I would just stop the lecture. Didn't have to say anything, I would just look at them and wait. With several hundred pairs of eyes looking at them they got the message. It's just rude.
Old Oct 21st 2014, 2:55 am
BE Enthusiast

Robbo25 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbo25 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbo25 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbo25 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbo25 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbo25 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbo25 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbo25 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbo25 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbo25 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbo25 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Stormer999
Exactly how most peeps would have handled the situation BB
And in the end the instructor will either do well, learn to modify the behaviour or shut up shop, in other words Darwinian theory will kick in.
Old Oct 21st 2014, 4:46 am
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tom H
This scenario could happen anywhere in the world. My tennis coach spent more time playing snake on her Nokia 3310 than giving advice on how to improve peoples game.

It happened a few times whilst I was a university lecturer in the UK. A student would be talking on their phone and I would just stop the lecture. Didn't have to say anything, I would just look at them and wait. With several hundred pairs of eyes looking at them they got the message. It's just rude.
I was in a lecture last week and someone was talking on their phone. The lecturer stopped mid sentence, looked at the person talking and said "You carry on your conversation. The rest of us are happy to wait" It was very effective.
Old Oct 21st 2014, 6:20 am
Banned

ajwbond is an unknown quantity at this point

Bucksboy, I would highly recommend that you get out of New Zealand and stop letting the fact that you are obviously not settled eat you up. I understand that when you are feeling negative about life down there that you sometimes need to vent, but posting negative comments on a forum like this can also be frustrating in itself. It will only be a matter of time before the "troll" stament comes firing at you and you will potentially be taken off the forum. I find it odd that 3 negatives usually equls a troll but never really sure what you would call someone who posts nothing but rose glasses comments, possibly a fairy? but they are allowed to stay of course, as it helps with the look of the forum.

My advice is go and find out what else is out there, New Zealand is just a little outpost of planet Earth so don't waste your time. For us the Cons of living there far outweighed the pros.

Good luck
Old Oct 21st 2014, 7:20 am
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

....& as I waft about BE
whilst waiting for my tea ,
what do I see?
I see a little point of order looking at me.

Originally Posted by ajwbond
It will only be a matter of time before the "troll" statement comes firing at you
Not really. No.
People are free to feel good or bad about a place & express that. Just be mindful and respectful of others. Some of whom may not agree and vice versa.

and you will potentially be taken off the forum.
Not really. No.
People are free to feel good or bad about a place & express that. Just be mindful and respectful of others. Some of whom may not agree and vice versa.

I find it odd that 3 negatives usually equals a troll
See. This is where it goes pear shaped.
People are free to feel good or bad about a place & express that. Just be mindful and respectful of others. Some of whom may not agree and vice versa

but never really sure what you would call someone who posts nothing but rose glasses comments,
Exactly the same applies.
People are free to feel good or bad about a place & express just that. Just be mindful and respectful of others. Some of whom may not agree and vice versa.

[/QUOTE]

but they are allowed to stay of course, as it helps with the look of the forum.
You're having a larf.

This place is often being pegged as the pits, yet it gives out great diverse info & insight from a great bunch of folk, with all sorts of views. Willing to lay it on out there and give their thoughts, insights and experiences in their own free time & BE allows for all of that.

It is simple really. Listen, learn , tolerate and understand.

Last edited by BEVS; Oct 28th 2014 at 5:35 am. Reason: Note to self:Check the credentials.Further note to all:A troll is someone who posts to upset. The M.O. matters not.
Old Oct 28th 2014, 5:18 am
Just Joined

BucksBoy has a brilliant futureBucksBoy has a brilliant futureBucksBoy has a brilliant futureBucksBoy has a brilliant futureBucksBoy has a brilliant futureBucksBoy has a brilliant futureBucksBoy has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by ajwbond
Bucksboy, I would highly recommend that you get out of New Zealand and stop letting the fact that you are obviously not settled eat you up. I understand that when you are feeling negative about life down there that you sometimes need to vent, but posting negative comments on a forum like this can also be frustrating in itself. It will only be a matter of time before the "troll" stament comes firing at you and you will potentially be taken off the forum. I find it odd that 3 negatives usually equls a troll but never really sure what you would call someone who posts nothing but rose glasses comments, possibly a fairy? but they are allowed to stay of course, as it helps with the look of the forum.

My advice is go and find out what else is out there, New Zealand is just a little outpost of planet Earth so don't waste your time. For us the Cons of living there far outweighed the pros.

Good luck
Getting out next year, can't come soon enough! I won't deny that the NZ glass is definitely half empty for me. There is stuff that I simply can't post for legal reasons at this time. Look out for my exit posting, perhaps people will see me in a different light!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.