Reload this Page >

kiwi land is lonely

kiwi land is lonely

Old Sep 20th 2010, 10:55 pm
Just Joined

shellnscott is an unknown quantity at this point
Default kiwi land is lonely

hi all,

me and my fiance moved over to nz about a year ago, since then we have had our first child a 7month old little girl. however we are finding it very difficult to meet some friends. we are early-mid 20's from preston so my fiance loves his football and a decent beer every now and again. if anyone is in hamilton give me a shout we would love to meet up.
Old Sep 21st 2010, 1:26 am

Flower Pot is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: kiwi land is lonely

Its a shame your all the way down in Hamilton, we would have loved to meet up otherwise!

Sure there are some on here in your area and will pop along soon

If your ever over our way give us a shout. Hubby and I in our 20's from Liverpool, I went to uni in Preston!
Old Sep 21st 2010, 2:01 am

Lily77cat is just really niceLily77cat is just really niceLily77cat is just really niceLily77cat is just really niceLily77cat is just really niceLily77cat is just really niceLily77cat is just really niceLily77cat is just really niceLily77cat is just really nice

i know what you mean- have been here 2 years now and the first year was awful and didnt meet anyone and was terribly lonely.

i organised a couple of meet ups through websites and met some lovely expats. we also have a 7 month old and i have met some lovely girlies through coffee mornings. if you dont have a coffee group to go too ring up plunket and ask to put a poster in their office. are you going to any baby activities? try the local library they have things on for mums and bubs.

it will get easier and if you want to chat send us a pm.
lily
xx
Old Sep 21st 2010, 5:35 am
BE Forum Addict

Genesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lily77cat
i know what you mean- have been here 2 years now and the first year was awful and didnt meet anyone and was terribly lonely.

i organised a couple of meet ups through websites and met some lovely expats. we also have a 7 month old and i have met some lovely girlies through coffee mornings. if you dont have a coffee group to go too ring up plunket and ask to put a poster in their office. are you going to any baby activities? try the local library they have things on for mums and bubs.

it will get easier and if you want to chat send us a pm.
lily
xx
I am afraid they will not come to you, or are unlikely too. 5 years ago I knew no one in NZ. I literally started knocking on doors and made friends that way. Sad? May well be, but NO ONE was going to knock on my door eh? You have to put yourself out there and join clubs, do things in the community, look at your local rag...go to baby morning et al.
Old Sep 21st 2010, 10:30 am
Stoke City fanatic

nelsonpom has a reputation beyond reputenelsonpom has a reputation beyond reputenelsonpom has a reputation beyond reputenelsonpom has a reputation beyond reputenelsonpom has a reputation beyond reputenelsonpom has a reputation beyond reputenelsonpom has a reputation beyond reputenelsonpom has a reputation beyond reputenelsonpom has a reputation beyond reputenelsonpom has a reputation beyond reputenelsonpom has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by shellnscott
hi all,

me and my fiance moved over to nz about a year ago, since then we have had our first child a 7month old little girl. however we are finding it very difficult to meet some friends. we are early-mid 20's from preston so my fiance loves his football and a decent beer every now and again. if anyone is in hamilton give me a shout we would love to meet up.
Understand completely, been here nearly 5 years and have a 1 year old. Felt we were ok before baby but now feel quite adrift. Its a long way from a back-up network that we would have in UK. No family on tap makes it very very difficult. No solutions yet, so can't help and as we are in Nelson.....
Old Oct 3rd 2010, 1:12 am
Forum Regular

Bumptious is just really niceBumptious is just really niceBumptious is just really niceBumptious is just really niceBumptious is just really niceBumptious is just really niceBumptious is just really niceBumptious is just really nice
Smile Re: kiwi land is lonely

Although I have been here since late 80's, when I moved to the town we live in now 6 years ago I knew nobody, but having one preschooler and primary school age kid helped heaps. Met lots of people that way and now have a good pool of friends and acquaintances. Having a baby is actually a good friendship starter as long as you get out and about. Can you join a Plunket group in your area. I became involved with mine and organised coffee mornings for other mums, it was good fun and also great for meeting people in the same situation as you in your immediate area (of course alot will be locals). As Genesis said you have to put yourself out there, NZ can be a bit cliquey sometimes but if you start the ball rolling by inviting someone over for a coffee etc it should work out for you. It does take time though, give it 6 months at least.
Old Oct 6th 2010, 11:29 pm
Just Joined

SamDean is an unknown quantity at this point

hi all,

Hey Shell and Scott, if you are ever over in Tauranga for the day, give me a shout, im 25 an my boyfriend is 27, and we are pretty lonely over here, and would love to do something fun. We have been in the are for about 5 months now and am finding it quite hard to make friends, so i know how you feel. I only found this forum today tho so hopefully it may help. p.s are you on facebook.
Old Oct 6th 2010, 11:58 pm
Newbie in New Zealand

Nelly Trolley is a name known to allNelly Trolley is a name known to allNelly Trolley is a name known to allNelly Trolley is a name known to allNelly Trolley is a name known to allNelly Trolley is a name known to allNelly Trolley is a name known to allNelly Trolley is a name known to allNelly Trolley is a name known to allNelly Trolley is a name known to allNelly Trolley is a name known to all

hi all,

Just a suggestion - Start a new thread referring to hamilton and it might draw response from those living in that area to make contact with you.

Good luck
Old Oct 7th 2010, 2:15 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by SamDean
Hey Shell and Scott, if you are ever over in Tauranga for the day, give me a shout, im 25 an my boyfriend is 27, and we are pretty lonely over here, and would love to do something fun. We have been in the are for about 5 months now and am finding it quite hard to make friends, so i know how you feel. I only found this forum today tho so hopefully it may help. p.s are you on facebook.
hi there, my mum is down in tauranga so we do tend to go over a fair bit, yeh im on facebook search for Rochelle Olorenshaw fortunately the name isnt very popular so i should be the only one! how are you finding it over here? what made you move? many questions but am sure the reply will be similar to most peoples, england is going downhill and we dont want our kids to grow up here.

speak soon
Old Oct 7th 2010, 5:09 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Flower Pot
Its a shame your all the way down in Hamilton, we would have loved to meet up otherwise!

Sure there are some on here in your area and will pop along soon

If your ever over our way give us a shout. Hubby and I in our 20's from Liverpool, I went to uni in Preston!
hi. sorry its taken ages to reply, iv been busy busy busy with the little one, maybe i dont have time for friends afterall. thanks for the reply, if we are ever up your way we will be sure to get in touch for a meet up. how long have you been here for ? how do u find it? and what were your reasons for coming over?
shell
Old Oct 8th 2010, 2:33 am
Forum Regular

zoexr has much to be proud ofzoexr has much to be proud ofzoexr has much to be proud ofzoexr has much to be proud ofzoexr has much to be proud ofzoexr has much to be proud ofzoexr has much to be proud ofzoexr has much to be proud ofzoexr has much to be proud ofzoexr has much to be proud ofzoexr has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by lily77cat

xx
This loneliness lasts for a year?!?!
Right, that's it, I'm off to dress my bulldog up in a romper suit and a hat and join a mother and baby group....
Old Oct 8th 2010, 8:59 am
Forum Regular

keeny has much to be proud ofkeeny has much to be proud ofkeeny has much to be proud ofkeeny has much to be proud ofkeeny has much to be proud ofkeeny has much to be proud ofkeeny has much to be proud ofkeeny has much to be proud ofkeeny has much to be proud ofkeeny has much to be proud ofkeeny has much to be proud of

hi all,

Hi Shellnscott

Hi I'm Sarah, we live in Hamilton (Rototuna) we have been here for 15 months and have a 16 month old girl called Leah, I'm mid 20's hubby Ian is early 30's. Hubby is also a football lover and likes a beer every now & again. It'd be great to hear from you - PM me back if you are interested in talking more, look forward to it
Old Oct 8th 2010, 9:46 am
Life is what YOU make it.

Stormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by zoexr
This loneliness lasts for a year?!?!
Right, that's it, I'm off to dress my bulldog up in a romper suit and a hat and join a mother and baby group....
And what if someone says "My dosn't he take after his mum........."
Old Oct 8th 2010, 8:37 pm
Forum Regular

zoexr has much to be proud ofzoexr has much to be proud ofzoexr has much to be proud ofzoexr has much to be proud ofzoexr has much to be proud ofzoexr has much to be proud ofzoexr has much to be proud ofzoexr has much to be proud ofzoexr has much to be proud ofzoexr has much to be proud ofzoexr has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Stormer999
And what if someone says "My dosn't he take after his mum........."
Hahahaha!!! It wouldn't be the worst thing someone had said to me!
Old Oct 11th 2010, 8:39 am
BE Enthusiast

lisamct has a reputation beyond reputelisamct has a reputation beyond reputelisamct has a reputation beyond reputelisamct has a reputation beyond reputelisamct has a reputation beyond reputelisamct has a reputation beyond reputelisamct has a reputation beyond reputelisamct has a reputation beyond reputelisamct has a reputation beyond reputelisamct has a reputation beyond reputelisamct has a reputation beyond repute

I can definitely feel the boredom setting in.
I think once the initial excitement/stress/busyness of first arriving wears off and some form of normality sets in the absence of friends and family really starts to sink in. I have no regrets about coming to NZ itself but think maybe the choice to move, alone, to a small town wasn't the best choice I could have made and makes meeting new people a bit of a challenge.

Now if i could just move everyone I know in NZ to here it would be fine, doubt I could convince them all to move to Rotorua though!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.