Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Kiwi Internet Help Needed

Kiwi Internet Help Needed

Old Mar 26th 2008, 3:55 am
BE Enthusiast

owen is a splendid one to beholdowen is a splendid one to beholdowen is a splendid one to beholdowen is a splendid one to beholdowen is a splendid one to beholdowen is a splendid one to beholdowen is a splendid one to beholdowen is a splendid one to beholdowen is a splendid one to beholdowen is a splendid one to beholdowen is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Kiwi Internet Help Needed

Originally Posted by mcuddy1
If you are really interested you can trace the route of your connection easily and see where the delay is.
You can do this by downloading a programme which will give a visual representation or from the command line.
Thx for the info mcuddy1, although I think its an overall capacity problem it would be interesting to see the delay, how do i do this?

As for IM, I find that programme worse than skype!!
Old Mar 26th 2008, 4:05 am
BE Enthusiast

mcuddy1 is a splendid one to beholdmcuddy1 is a splendid one to beholdmcuddy1 is a splendid one to beholdmcuddy1 is a splendid one to beholdmcuddy1 is a splendid one to beholdmcuddy1 is a splendid one to beholdmcuddy1 is a splendid one to beholdmcuddy1 is a splendid one to beholdmcuddy1 is a splendid one to beholdmcuddy1 is a splendid one to beholdmcuddy1 is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by owen
Thx for the info mcuddy1, although I think its an overall capacity problem it would be interesting to see the delay, how do i do this?

As for IM, I find that programme worse than skype!!
Google Visual route and download it the instructions are easy to follow.
Old Mar 26th 2008, 4:06 am
you dewty owld maan!

lardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond repute

Was the 200kbps in the UK with Virgin?? My connection back there was constant 2mbps no problem, youtube for instance worked every video through without play 0.5sec/buffer 3minutes ratio i get here.
As for skype the video calls just drops all the time, I'm upset at hearing my 2yr old yell "daddy I can't see you" everytime the bloody thing loses connection and I have to redial.:curse:
nope had virgin from way back, 1996 or so, then dropped it for Pipex when we moved to broadband - we only got broadband after extended reach, our exchange was one of the first to be converted BUT we were over 8km (AFIR) line length away, in the sticks, hence we almost went for satellite or wireless "nodes", just before BT gave us extended reach - beacuse everyone in the village was looking at this as a joint project I can confirm that at those lengths the line into the property made a hell of a difference, one guy would get 256k and his neighbor 1Mb with the same ISP. Since coming to NZ I've maintained my virgin account using my father as the customer - hence why I have those issues.
You've probably got a few extensions, especaially around an apartment, that could be influencing your connection quality as well as the pair that is coming into your place from the street - looking behind panels for services in new builds often leaves me amazed that anything works! Telecoms or power!
Our line here is pretty poor and noisy, expecially since we had a business line piggy backed, but we still get about 400k, again we are out in the sticks so I'm not too worried - the upload speed is going to mess with your Skype more isn't it?
What does the router do or say when these events occur?
You can get reasonable video with 256k and perfect audio with 56k.......
Seems like you were a bit spoiled in the UK.........welcome to NZ......
Old Mar 26th 2008, 4:22 am
BE Enthusiast

owen is a splendid one to beholdowen is a splendid one to beholdowen is a splendid one to beholdowen is a splendid one to beholdowen is a splendid one to beholdowen is a splendid one to beholdowen is a splendid one to beholdowen is a splendid one to beholdowen is a splendid one to beholdowen is a splendid one to beholdowen is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by lardyl
Seems like you were a bit spoiled in the UK.........welcome to NZ......

Just another whinging pom..........
Old Mar 26th 2008, 4:29 am
you dewty owld maan!

lardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond repute

Just another whinging pom..........
I'm thinking about getting some t-shirts made up?
or how about a tattoo?
or avatar?
Old Mar 26th 2008, 4:46 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by mcuddy1
Google Visual route and download it the instructions are easy to follow.
Well just done the ping test and I don't understand the info but what I can summise is I tested a route from london (10 millisec) via the states, the signal slows to 60millisecs in texas and when it hit the global gateway in nz it hit 450m/s response time which is the red zone. TNZ owns global gateway, the signal then goes through 5 slow servers here in JAFAland before my house slowing the signal.

The VOIP test showed i have a fast enough connection for high quality voice communication however the quality of the connection is poor (jitters).

As said welcome to NZ.....................
Old Mar 26th 2008, 5:09 am
BE Enthusiast

mcuddy1 is a splendid one to beholdmcuddy1 is a splendid one to beholdmcuddy1 is a splendid one to beholdmcuddy1 is a splendid one to beholdmcuddy1 is a splendid one to beholdmcuddy1 is a splendid one to beholdmcuddy1 is a splendid one to beholdmcuddy1 is a splendid one to beholdmcuddy1 is a splendid one to beholdmcuddy1 is a splendid one to beholdmcuddy1 is a splendid one to behold

Well just done the ping test and I don't understand the info but what I can summise is I tested a route from london (10 millisec) via the states, the signal slows to 60millisecs in texas and when it hit the global gateway in nz it hit 450m/s response time which is the red zone. TNZ owns global gateway, the signal then goes through 5 slow servers here in JAFAland before my house slowing the signal.

The VOIP test showed i have a fast enough connection for high quality voice communication however the quality of the connection is poor (jitters).

I am on Telstra 100-180ms through its gateway. It is pretty good mostly from 0.4m to 4.5.m download. 450 ms is nearly half a second it just shows how slow that server is(very Busy). It is in a busy period though.
Old Mar 26th 2008, 5:19 am
BE Enthusiast

If you want to just have a quick gander at your conection, click start -run-type cmd.

Cmd then opens then type -tracert (URL) -and you will just get the figures.

Some servers may have it disable and it could time out.