Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Kiwi Internet Help Needed

Kiwi Internet Help Needed

Old Mar 26th 2008, 1:41 am
BE Enthusiast

owen is a splendid one to beholdowen is a splendid one to beholdowen is a splendid one to beholdowen is a splendid one to beholdowen is a splendid one to beholdowen is a splendid one to beholdowen is a splendid one to beholdowen is a splendid one to beholdowen is a splendid one to beholdowen is a splendid one to beholdowen is a splendid one to behold
Default Kiwi Internet Help Needed

I know this is a long shot but is there a secret to using the most rubbish/crappiest internet system more effectively? I am currently central JAFAland and my internet ADSL rubbish can differ from 300kbps to 1.2mbps, actually i could cope with a slower service if the service was consistant, mine seems to drop its service and i constantly get the "Internet Explorer cannot display the webpage" message.

I'm using a 'british' dell, through a 'british' router belkin and i've cleaned and double checked these are working to the best they can.

The worse thing is I'm trying to rely on the internet through skype to maintain a realtionship with my daughter in the UK, if the past 3 months are to go by, I'll no choice but to leave NZ and look for a country who are forward thinking enough to lay fibre optic cables in the street.:curse:
Old Mar 26th 2008, 1:45 am
Happy in Wellington

RobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Kiwi Internet Help Needed

Who's your ISP?
Old Mar 26th 2008, 2:02 am
BE Enthusiast

owen is a splendid one to beholdowen is a splendid one to beholdowen is a splendid one to beholdowen is a splendid one to beholdowen is a splendid one to beholdowen is a splendid one to beholdowen is a splendid one to beholdowen is a splendid one to beholdowen is a splendid one to beholdowen is a splendid one to beholdowen is a splendid one to behold

Just switched from slingshot extreme to I believe telecom explorer, my current internet is supplied by my apartment's owner who has checked out the line and says it's working fine
Old Mar 26th 2008, 2:08 am
Happy in Wellington

RobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond repute

I take it the "service" has been similar with both ISPs?
I found Slingshot to be better than Telecom here in Wellington.
But you'd think with being in central Auckland you'd be close to the exchange and on a decent speedy backbone.
Maybe the contention ratios are too high?
It's hard to know what to suggest to be honest.
Beyond complaining loudly to the ISP.
Do your neighbours have similar issues?
Old Mar 26th 2008, 2:10 am
BE Forum Addict

lapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond repute

It shouldn't be that bad. My Orcon service is consistently around 5Mbps down, 500k up. I believe Telecom have one of the worst reputations for reliability and service. It sounds like you have a line problem; I would insist that there is a fault and get Telecom to sort it.

Alternatively, you could try a Telecom/Vodafone mobile data solution; this should give ample throughput for Skype, but make sure you get a trial period. Cost is $50 per month plus $10 per GB
Old Mar 26th 2008, 2:13 am
Sleazy Dippin Doodle

Kiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by owen

I'm using a 'british' dell, through a 'british' router belkin and i've cleaned and double checked these are working to the best they can.

They are working. It is just that the Broadband connections are rubbish.

Now where did I hear that this could be a potential election issue......
Old Mar 26th 2008, 2:16 am
Happy in Wellington

I'd like Gigabit to my home please, for a reasonable cost, and no data cap so I can download what I please!
And no flippin' packet shaping!!

Yeah right!
Old Mar 26th 2008, 2:22 am
A land far far away

pixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond repute

ok daft question alert.
Does it have anything to do with how many people use the exchange? Central Auckland being very busy?
It's just that we have very speedy, very reliable internet connection ( we use iGrin), we're very rural and perhaps hardly anyone else is using broadband?
Old Mar 26th 2008, 2:25 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by lapsed kiwi
It shouldn't be that bad. My Orcon service is consistently around 5Mbps down, 500k up.
I've heard orcon are quick and they have debundled 2 exchanges in JAFAland, I wish they would get a move and unbundle the others 5mbps down and 500k up sounds like heaven at the mo
Old Mar 26th 2008, 2:30 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by pixi-dust
ok daft question alert.
Does it have anything to do with how many people use the exchange? Central Auckland being very busy?
It's just that we have very speedy, very reliable internet connection ( we use iGrin), we're very rural and perhaps hardly anyone else is using broadband?
No not a daft question, it is the number a people using each exchange. I find it amazing that everyday the Herald harping on about NZ position in the global market when no-one seems to think it could compete better with improved datacoms. move away from the morse key and embrace beams of light FFS!
Old Mar 26th 2008, 2:31 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by RobClubley
I'd like Gigabit to my home please, for a reasonable cost, and no data cap so I can download what I please!
And no flippin' packet shaping!!

Yeah right!
LOL

The way I'm feeling I'm gonna get on a bike and lay my own optics to Burnley!!
Old Mar 26th 2008, 3:08 am
Maz

Maz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond repute

I wish we had wireless... we have to have mobile broadband where we are. Every now and then, like you, the connection just drops for no apparent reason. It's been hell recently doing our US taxes online and never knowing if it's actually going to save or not *bangs head on wall*

Where is your router physically placed? Friend of mine in England had hers downstairs in their house, in a corner. She complained she didn't get a consistent signal. I advised her to move it to a physically higher location. In her loft even, if possible. She ended up putting it on top of a wardrobe in an upstairs bedroom and now has brill reception all over the house and garden.

@ Rob
Old Mar 26th 2008, 3:41 am
you dewty owld maan!

lardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond repute

300kbps is not that bad........back in the sticks in the UK we could hardly ever get more than 200 or so d/l. Unlimited mind, but pretty crippled speed wise......
Telecom do apply the brakes on the connections in late afternoon through to the early morning so that's not suprising, more suprising is why you need anywhere near this for Skype? Also the dropping out of web pages is pretty odd - I'll turn my UK101 avatar back on and think about it.......300 baud that machine, and with a tape player to save the programs, that, wait for it, used to erase about 0.1 second of tape every time you pressed play - lo and behold those program tapes didn't last long!!

My real odd issue with Telecom was with email, Eudora client would only send emails using my old ISP's account when the broadband usage had been exceeded and I was on 56k.......solution was to use Telecom's outgoing mail server instead of the Virgin one....weird.....
Old Mar 26th 2008, 3:47 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by lardyl
300kbps is not that bad........back in the sticks in the UK we could hardly ever get more than 200 or so d/l. Unlimited mind, but pretty crippled speed wise......
Telecom do apply the brakes on the connections in late afternoon through to the early morning so that's not suprising, more suprising is why you need anywhere near this for Skype? Also the dropping out of web pages is pretty odd - I'll turn my UK101 avatar back on and think about it.......300 baud that machine, and with a tape player to save the programs, that, wait for it, used to erase about 0.1 second of tape every time you pressed play - lo and behold those program tapes didn't last long!!

My real odd issue with Telecom was with email, Eudora client would only send emails using my old ISP's account when the broadband usage had been exceeded and I was on 56k.......solution was to use Telecom's outgoing mail server instead of the Virgin one....weird.....
Was the 200kbps in the UK with Virgin?? My connection back there was constant 2mbps no problem, youtube for instance worked every video through without play 0.5sec/buffer 3minutes ratio i get here.

As for skype the video calls just drops all the time, I'm upset at hearing my 2yr old yell "daddy I can't see you" everytime the bloody thing loses connection and I have to redial.:curse:
Old Mar 26th 2008, 3:49 am
BE Enthusiast

mcuddy1 is a splendid one to beholdmcuddy1 is a splendid one to beholdmcuddy1 is a splendid one to beholdmcuddy1 is a splendid one to beholdmcuddy1 is a splendid one to beholdmcuddy1 is a splendid one to beholdmcuddy1 is a splendid one to beholdmcuddy1 is a splendid one to beholdmcuddy1 is a splendid one to beholdmcuddy1 is a splendid one to beholdmcuddy1 is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by owen
No not a daft question, it is the number a people using each exchange. I find it amazing that everyday the Herald harping on about NZ position in the global market when no-one seems to think it could compete better with improved datacoms. move away from the morse key and embrace beams of light FFS!
Telecom NZ are rolling out a project to deliver fibre to all the cabinets in most cities within the next two years, this will only help if you have line quality and length issues.

log into your router when the connection is running slow and look at the link speed to the exchange, if this is running slow then it could be issues with your line, if not it's all to do with how they manage the traffic from the exchange on. In the small print of the agreement they have the right to slow your line down at busy periods.

TNZ are well known for managing it excessively due to their lack of capacity in their infrastructure.

If Skype is not running good try IM, I have had good results just changing from one to the other on different days.

If you are really interested you can trace the route of your connection easily and see where the delay is.
You can do this by downloading a programme which will give a visual representation or from the command line.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.