Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Are Kiwi employers 'rude'?

Are Kiwi employers 'rude'?

Old Sep 24th 2013, 8:56 pm

Snap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Are Kiwi employers 'rude'?

Originally Posted by M_and_M
From all that I have read I was lefpd to believe that people in New Zealand were very laid back and kinda let you get on with things, and that UK employees had to be careful not to look pushy.

I have discovered it to be the reverse.

Instead I have found the people above me in power to be very abrupt, almost to the point of being rude, and micro managers.

Is this normal in New Zealand. What are other people's experiences?
One hundred percent true.
Old Sep 24th 2013, 9:04 pm

Snap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by pippalonghorn
Im not that keen on mine either. I find her a little bit patronising. Has digs at me constantly and then walks away laughing. Im older than her too which makes it worse for me. I just smile though and get on with it. Wont be forever.
Patronising, rude, highhanded. Bullying passed off as japery has been my experience of my kiwi supervisor. When she was telling me my contract was unlikely to be extended she said I could use the time to read the book, '50 shades of gray' or get a job in a supermarket like a friend of hers did. The project manager who was English just smirked and said I could live off my husband.

I just smiled and got on with it. Even when I was being minute managed to the point that I had to write a daily report of the work I had done following the example she had given me. Without going into detail, it more or less looked like this. If I hadn't submitted it at the end of the day, I would be asked for yesterday's 'over view' first thing the next morning.

8am - started the day's work
9am - did this work
10am - did more work then went to tea
11am - further work done
12pm - Got some more work done
1pm - lunch
2pm - continued something I started this morning then went to tea
3.15pm - got on with more work
4pm - Got on with deadline job
5pm - Home time

Just as a minor, 'by the way' if I was formatting a document and she remarked on my underlining something that was in bold and I gently asked her about it she would just spit the word, 'semantics' at me. Rude bitch. (Don't worry, everyone knew what she was like. She's been pulled up about her attitude on more than one occasion by her boss, gone on courses paid for by work on how to be a better human but being a bully was much more important to her.) I used to get little supportive e-mails from a colleague in her team remarking what a cow she is ! That self same person quit without notice 'cause she was just about at the point of a breakdown ! Woo hoo, how's your team building now, you know it all supervisor ?

Last edited by Snap Shot; Sep 24th 2013 at 9:57 pm.
Old Sep 25th 2013, 2:21 am
Forum Regular

S_and_T is a jewel in the roughS_and_T is a jewel in the roughS_and_T is a jewel in the roughS_and_T is a jewel in the roughS_and_T is a jewel in the rough

My experience (of 5 months) has shown my Kiwi Boss to be really laid back. It's a nice change for me after 20-odd years in the UK Military!

That said, my other half has a nightmare of a Boss. All the staff, Kiwi or otherwise, think she is a pain so it's not a 'migrant' thing in this case.
Old Sep 25th 2013, 5:52 am
Forum Regular

allisonwantstoemigrate is just really niceallisonwantstoemigrate is just really niceallisonwantstoemigrate is just really niceallisonwantstoemigrate is just really niceallisonwantstoemigrate is just really niceallisonwantstoemigrate is just really niceallisonwantstoemigrate is just really niceallisonwantstoemigrate is just really nice

No replies, or even acknowledgements, when you email people directly regarding vacancies......I find that rude
Old Sep 25th 2013, 5:54 am
JPA
Forum Regular

JPA is an unknown quantity at this point

Assanah, that would make sense. It is so frustrating. I was a manager in the UK, now I am tying to get used to a weird set back in time regards management style! I feel like a small child!
Ditto to that. And my manager is a micro manager!
Old Sep 25th 2013, 9:53 am
BE Enthusiast

Clappy has a reputation beyond reputeClappy has a reputation beyond reputeClappy has a reputation beyond reputeClappy has a reputation beyond reputeClappy has a reputation beyond reputeClappy has a reputation beyond reputeClappy has a reputation beyond reputeClappy has a reputation beyond reputeClappy has a reputation beyond reputeClappy has a reputation beyond reputeClappy has a reputation beyond repute

Is this normal in New Zealand. What are other people's experiences?
My manager is totally respectful and supportive.

He's English.
Old Sep 25th 2013, 11:49 am
BE Forum Addict

cappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond repute

My current manager is a horrible, bullying narcissist (and is currently on her last warning to improve her attitude - but they wont get rid of her as that would create too much paperwork!).
Old Sep 25th 2013, 12:04 pm
BE Forum Addict

RobDon has a reputation beyond reputeRobDon has a reputation beyond reputeRobDon has a reputation beyond reputeRobDon has a reputation beyond reputeRobDon has a reputation beyond reputeRobDon has a reputation beyond reputeRobDon has a reputation beyond reputeRobDon has a reputation beyond reputeRobDon has a reputation beyond reputeRobDon has a reputation beyond reputeRobDon has a reputation beyond repute

My manager is laid back, supportive and very approachable while still maintaining her professionalism.
She is currently organising the Christmas do for us.
Old Sep 25th 2013, 7:14 pm
Forum Regular

jodaid is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Snap Shot
Patronising, rude, highhanded. Bullying passed off as japery has been my experience of my kiwi supervisor. When she was telling me my contract was unlikely to be extended she said I could use the time to read the book, '50 shades of gray' or get a job in a supermarket like a friend of hers did. The project manager who was English just smirked and said I could live off my husband.

I just smiled and got on with it. Even when I was being minute managed to the point that I had to write a daily report of the work I had done following the example she had given me. Without going into detail, it more or less looked like this. If I hadn't submitted it at the end of the day, I would be asked for yesterday's 'over view' first thing the next morning.

8am - started the day's work
9am - did this work
10am - did more work then went to tea
11am - further work done
12pm - Got some more work done
1pm - lunch
2pm - continued something I started this morning then went to tea
3.15pm - got on with more work
4pm - Got on with deadline job
5pm - Home time

Just as a minor, 'by the way' if I was formatting a document and she remarked on my underlining something that was in bold and I gently asked her about it she would just spit the word, 'semantics' at me. Rude bitch. (Don't worry, everyone knew what she was like. She's been pulled up about her attitude on more than one occasion by her boss, gone on courses paid for by work on how to be a better human but being a bully was much more important to her.) I used to get little supportive e-mails from a colleague in her team remarking what a cow she is ! That self same person quit without notice 'cause she was just about at the point of a breakdown ! Woo hoo, how's your team building now, you know it all supervisor ?
That is absolutely disgusting... I can't believe she still has her job. Do you still work there? Or managed to escape?
Old Sep 25th 2013, 7:58 pm
BE Forum Addict

Jan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond repute

I have run jobs (construction) in the UK and I do find the "Kiwi" way of doing things a little odd ! There are a lot of people in positions they don't deserve and they don't like to take advise so I just bite my lip and get on with it

Neil
Old Sep 25th 2013, 8:40 pm

Originally Posted by jodaid
That is absolutely disgusting... I can't believe she still has her job. Do you still work there? Or managed to escape?
Did I jump or was I pushed ? Who cares, it's all over now !

Even when I was being given notice of the end of my temporary employment as per the terms of my contract, it was the overall department manager that gave me the letter and discussion.

To me, it rather smacked of, 'no you do it, no, you tell her'. My Team Manager didn't tell me, the Project Manager didn't tell me.

I ended up e-mailing the whole of the department to tell them of my leaving shout morning tea. Which was followed up by the department manager e-mailing the department apologising for not telling them himself.

A leaving card might have been nice, but, that's kiwis for you. Did they enjoy my morning tea shout eaten in an awkward silence ? Of course they did !

Why did I bother ? Let's just call it good karma and leave it at that.
Old Sep 25th 2013, 9:18 pm
Looking for my marbles.

pippalonghorn has a reputation beyond reputepippalonghorn has a reputation beyond reputepippalonghorn has a reputation beyond reputepippalonghorn has a reputation beyond reputepippalonghorn has a reputation beyond reputepippalonghorn has a reputation beyond reputepippalonghorn has a reputation beyond reputepippalonghorn has a reputation beyond reputepippalonghorn has a reputation beyond reputepippalonghorn has a reputation beyond reputepippalonghorn has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Snap Shot
Did I jump or was I pushed ? Who cares, it's all over now !

Even when I was being given notice of the end of my temporary employment as per the terms of my contract, it was the overall department manager that gave me the letter and discussion.

To me, it rather smacked of, 'no you do it, no, you tell her'. My Team Manager didn't tell me, the Project Manager didn't tell me.

I ended up e-mailing the whole of the department to tell them of my leaving shout morning tea. Which was followed up by the department manager e-mailing the department apologising for not telling them himself.

A leaving card might have been nice, but, that's kiwis for you. Did they enjoy my morning tea shout eaten in an awkward silence ? Of course they did !

Why did I bother ? Let's just call it good karma and leave it at that.
Proves you're the better person.
Old Sep 25th 2013, 9:59 pm

Location: Wellington - I miss Castles, the NHS & English school system
MrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond repute

We had to do similar daily time sheets in my IT dept in the UK so its nothing unusual. Maybe controlling Manager type thing who know they are in above their heads, as was my case.
Old Sep 25th 2013, 10:17 pm
Account Closed

Tom1983 has a spectacular aura aboutTom1983 has a spectacular aura aboutTom1983 has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by allisonwantstoemigrate
No replies, or even acknowledgements, when you email people directly regarding vacancies......I find that rude
To be fair in this country (and it's the same back in England), they won't reply unless you've actually applied for a vacancy. I applied for a position with a company but asked them about it first, they replied back to me saying no questions are answered until application has been made. I think it's the general norm here

MrsFychan - regarding time sheets, are they the norm in this country because it's the time sheet politics in my current company that's making me seek employment elsewhere

My boss is great and yes she's a kiwi but the senior management above - no comment. Time sheets, even more so no comment *angry face*
Old Sep 25th 2013, 10:19 pm
Just Joined

nick99 is a jewel in the roughnick99 is a jewel in the roughnick99 is a jewel in the roughnick99 is a jewel in the roughnick99 is a jewel in the rough

weird set back in time regards management style!
Have to agree with this. When we arrived (5 years ago) my partner had organized an Auckland job with a large multi-national engineering consultancy. It was pretty surprising to hear that they had beer fridges in the office and all cracked into them at 4pm on Fridays (before driving home in their V8s presumably). Pretty behind the times.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.