Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Are Kiwi employers 'rude'?

Are Kiwi employers 'rude'?

Old Sep 24th 2013, 9:25 am
BE Enthusiast

M_and_M has a reputation beyond reputeM_and_M has a reputation beyond reputeM_and_M has a reputation beyond reputeM_and_M has a reputation beyond reputeM_and_M has a reputation beyond reputeM_and_M has a reputation beyond reputeM_and_M has a reputation beyond reputeM_and_M has a reputation beyond reputeM_and_M has a reputation beyond reputeM_and_M has a reputation beyond reputeM_and_M has a reputation beyond repute
Question Are Kiwi employers 'rude'?

From all that I have read I was lefpd to believe that people in New Zealand were very laid back and kinda let you get on with things, and that UK employees had to be careful not to look pushy.

I have discovered it to be the reverse.

Instead I have found the people above me in power to be very abrupt, almost to the point of being rude, and micro managers.

Is this normal in New Zealand. What are other people's experiences?
Old Sep 24th 2013, 9:43 am
BE Forum Addict

j19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Are Kiwi employers 'rude'?

Originally Posted by M_and_M
From all that I have read I was lefpd to believe that people in New Zealand were very laid back and kinda let you get on with things, and that UK employees had to be careful not to look pushy.

I have discovered it to be the reverse.

Instead I have found the people above me in power to be very abrupt, almost to the point of being rude, and micro managers.

Is this normal in New Zealand. What are other people's experiences?
My boss is totally laid back, friendly and helpful
Old Sep 24th 2013, 9:52 am
BE Forum Addict

barnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond repute

How very weird.

Me and the missus were only saying earlier that we'd never been treated as poor in the work place til moving here. Thankfully we're not with those employers now.
Old Sep 24th 2013, 9:57 am
jmh
BE Forum Addict

jmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond repute

I haven't really noticed much difference. Not come across any rude ones though.

To be fair, you've had genuine problems with your first NZ employer - is it fair to tar the rest of the country with the same brush?
Old Sep 24th 2013, 10:10 am
BE Enthusiast

M_and_M has a reputation beyond reputeM_and_M has a reputation beyond reputeM_and_M has a reputation beyond reputeM_and_M has a reputation beyond reputeM_and_M has a reputation beyond reputeM_and_M has a reputation beyond reputeM_and_M has a reputation beyond reputeM_and_M has a reputation beyond reputeM_and_M has a reputation beyond reputeM_and_M has a reputation beyond reputeM_and_M has a reputation beyond repute

I'm mot tarring anyone, I am merely trying to figure out if its just the approach that I am seeing from a UK point of view.

Stagnant labour market maks job changing difficult in teaching.
Old Sep 24th 2013, 10:15 am

Location: Wellington - I miss Castles, the NHS & English school system
MrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond repute

not so much my employers but people I have to share space with, well sort of they should be out before I arrive. No consideration for the need of my work, organise stuff to be held at the place when I am still working and telling me I need to finish early with no advance discussion.
Old Sep 24th 2013, 10:23 am
BE Forum Addict

Assanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond repute

Management skills here are very low. That is why Kiwi employer often treat their people quite badly, they don't know better (not only my experience but that of my partner and a few friends as well). I also read a study about management practice and New Zealand barely beats China in regards to best management practice- international companies in NZ doing much better than Kiwi owned companies though.
Old Sep 24th 2013, 10:26 am
BE Enthusiast

Assanah, that would make sense. It is so frustrating. I was a manager in the UK, now I am tying to get used to a weird set back in time regards management style! I feel like a small child!
Old Sep 24th 2013, 11:06 am
BE Forum Addict

barnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond repute

Some if you might find this interesting.

http://nzh.tw/11128754
Old Sep 24th 2013, 6:05 pm
BE Enthusiast

That makes sense. I was having a convo with a kiwi friend yesterday and we came to that conclusion. My boss seems to think that how many hours you work indicates how good you are! Personally I can get the same done in half the time but that doesn't seem to fit their mould.
Old Sep 24th 2013, 6:34 pm
Truth is the safest lie.

Charismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: Are Kiwi employers 'rude'?

I find the kiwis OK to work for, management isn't really a profession here yet but as I do my best work without a manager around it works well for me .
Old Sep 24th 2013, 7:22 pm
BE Enthusiast

Bit difficult when you are placed in the same room to 'work with' as the person that is meant to be your line manager who then starts doing sneaky stuff
Old Sep 24th 2013, 7:34 pm
Truth is the safest lie.

Charismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond repute

Bit difficult when you are placed in the same room to 'work with' as the person that is meant to be your line manager who then starts doing sneaky stuff
Sneaky drinks and he isn't sharing?

You could nurture a relationship between him and a female staff member, first you'll get the office to yourself most of the time and second you'll get his job when their shenanigans get exposed.
Old Sep 24th 2013, 7:41 pm
jmh
BE Forum Addict

jmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond repute

I guess there are several possibilities:

1. All kiwi managers are sneaky, rude micro managers
2. Your line manager is has some issues
3. You've done something to piss them off

Which do you think is most likely?

Try networking with other teachers who might know the person to see if you can get some perspective on the situation and how you can handle the person.

One tip about kiwis - they don't like confrontation, so the good old British 'tell it like it is' approach doesn't always go down so well. You need to communicate differently. Hard I know.
Old Sep 24th 2013, 8:41 pm
Looking for my marbles.

pippalonghorn has a reputation beyond reputepippalonghorn has a reputation beyond reputepippalonghorn has a reputation beyond reputepippalonghorn has a reputation beyond reputepippalonghorn has a reputation beyond reputepippalonghorn has a reputation beyond reputepippalonghorn has a reputation beyond reputepippalonghorn has a reputation beyond reputepippalonghorn has a reputation beyond reputepippalonghorn has a reputation beyond reputepippalonghorn has a reputation beyond repute

Im not that keen on mine either. I find her a little bit patronising. Has digs at me constantly and then walks away laughing. Im older than her too which makes it worse for me. I just smile though and get on with it. Wont be forever.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.