Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Kiwi driving..getting worse!!

Kiwi driving..getting worse!!

Old Jun 5th 2009, 8:17 pm
BE Forum Addict

Genesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Kiwi driving..getting worse!!

Originally Posted by whitesand
I've been reading this discussion with interest and many have made good points. I would just add that it doesn't matter how good a driver you are, it's not you who is the problem - it's the other bad driver. And, it only takes one bad driver to meet you on the road and wham!

I think there's really no excuse for bad driving anywhere and especially in a civilised country such as NZ. There should be much stricter penalties for bad driving. That's a start. Better driver education as well, and not simply acceptance of such driving behaviour.

I agree that there are many smaller things that you can get used to here, but careless driving is not one of them and we should never simply accept something that kills.
WELL SAID!!!!! My sentiments ENTIRELY!!!!!
Old Jun 5th 2009, 9:32 pm
TeamEmbo

TeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond repute

I've had two car accidents, one in UK and one in NZ, neither of which were my fault. The one in the UK I was waiting at a red light behind a learner driver. She was an older lady in a Red Cross uniform being taught to drive by her similarly aged lady friend. I was actually some distance behind her with the handbrake on waiting for the lights to change. I'd kept my distance because of the L plates. When the light changed to green, rather than pulling away she reversed into the front of my car. I was shaken and in disbelief but she was elderly and a learner and quick clearly shaken. I wasn't far from my parents house so after making sure the other driver was ok I went to get my dad. When I returned, not only had the L plates been removed but the elderly friend was claiming it was her that was driving and that I had rammed into the back of them. Being two elderly ladies in Red Cross uniforms guess who got believed? I was speechless at their actions and lies and got stung for the damages.

My accident here I was driving home from shopping and passed through a well lit intersection, my right of way and I was not speeding. One minute I had a clear road, the next I banged into the side of a 4WD that had been driving in the opposite direction, hadn't seen me and had turned right, straight across my path. It was two Kiwi lads, aged about 18 or 19. I got out and collapsed with shock at the side of the road and was instantly surrounded by locals from their houses who wrapped me in blankets, rang my husband and generally took charge (all Kiwis). The lads stopped and came over, apologised and waiting for my husband and the police. They were breathalised, which was negative. He had 3rd party insurance which covered the $4,500 damage to my car. The driver rang by husband the next day to apologise again and see if I was ok. He came round to my house a couple of weeks later again to apologise and see if I was ok. He was fined $150 for failing to give way. When he sees my husband out and about round town he still asks if I'm ok. I don't blame him. Anyone can have a momentary lapse, even the best of drivers. I had two prolapsed discs in my neck and had to give up my job as it involved a lot of heavy lifting. There was no compensation. But to be honest I'm just fine with that because out of the two accidents I've had, he was polite and curteous and put his hand up to it.
Old Jun 5th 2009, 11:56 pm
BE Forum Addict

Bellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Genesis
WELL SAID!!!!! My sentiments ENTIRELY!!!!!

Mine too.

I would add that when you get your licence you should be required to do a defensive driving course before the licence is issued.

And everyone convicted of a driving offence should redo it.

Supervision and Community work sentences should always be considered and that should include voluntary work at accident scenes, accident and emergency departments or operating theatres cleaning up after road trauma.

Paying reparation should be a must even if it takes years to pay off.
Old Jun 7th 2009, 5:40 am
Give us a kiss

Biddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TeamEmbo
I've had two car accidents, one in UK and one in NZ, neither of which were my fault. The one in the UK I was waiting at a red light behind a learner driver. She was an older lady in a Red Cross uniform being taught to drive by her similarly aged lady friend. I was actually some distance behind her with the handbrake on waiting for the lights to change. I'd kept my distance because of the L plates. When the light changed to green, rather than pulling away she reversed into the front of my car. I was shaken and in disbelief but she was elderly and a learner and quick clearly shaken. I wasn't far from my parents house so after making sure the other driver was ok I went to get my dad. When I returned, not only had the L plates been removed but the elderly friend was claiming it was her that was driving and that I had rammed into the back of them. Being two elderly ladies in Red Cross uniforms guess who got believed? I was speechless at their actions and lies and got stung for the damages.

My accident here I was driving home from shopping and passed through a well lit intersection, my right of way and I was not speeding. One minute I had a clear road, the next I banged into the side of a 4WD that had been driving in the opposite direction, hadn't seen me and had turned right, straight across my path. It was two Kiwi lads, aged about 18 or 19. I got out and collapsed with shock at the side of the road and was instantly surrounded by locals from their houses who wrapped me in blankets, rang my husband and generally took charge (all Kiwis). The lads stopped and came over, apologised and waiting for my husband and the police. They were breathalised, which was negative. He had 3rd party insurance which covered the $4,500 damage to my car. The driver rang by husband the next day to apologise again and see if I was ok. He came round to my house a couple of weeks later again to apologise and see if I was ok. He was fined $150 for failing to give way. When he sees my husband out and about round town he still asks if I'm ok. I don't blame him. Anyone can have a momentary lapse, even the best of drivers. I had two prolapsed discs in my neck and had to give up my job as it involved a lot of heavy lifting. There was no compensation. But to be honest I'm just fine with that because out of the two accidents I've had, he was polite and curteous and put his hand up to it.
That's tha last time I donate to the Red Cross!!
Unbelievable!
Old Jun 8th 2009, 3:56 am
Happy in Wellington

RobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond repute

Okay all you perfect drivers

See how you do on this:

http://www.aa.co.nz/motoring/licensi...s/default.aspx

I got 8/10
Got a question on distances wrong and a smoky exhaust question.
Old Jun 8th 2009, 4:34 am
BE Forum Addict

Genesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by RobClubley
Okay all you perfect drivers

See how you do on this:

http://www.aa.co.nz/motoring/licensi...s/default.aspx

I got 8/10
Got a question on distances wrong and a smoky exhaust question.
I am NOT a perfect driver by any means...very careful and always looking ahead at what's happening...or likely to happen. I think driving safely is a bit like chess...you do need a plan, you need to look ahead and try to anticpate what other road users might do. I got 10/10. BUT its all luck aye? Had I got 10 different quezzies I may not have fared so well.