Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Kiwi driving..getting worse!!

Kiwi driving..getting worse!!

Old May 19th 2009, 4:02 pm
BE Enthusiast

whitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Kiwi driving..getting worse!!

I'm glad I live in Auckland as the traffic slows them down! It's when I venture out into the country that i see how bad it is. I'm sure I'd travel more if the driving was better. That's one of the biggest surprises I had coming here. I'd heard that the roads were very quiet and safe. I've spent ages try to dodge that road north using the side roads on the west, but still have to go on to it for around ten miles.
Old May 19th 2009, 8:38 pm
BE Enthusiast

Browner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Newfies
Its not sooo much the speed that kills its that fact that kiwi drivers do not plan ahead they will tail gate overtake on blind bends cross the centre line for no apparent reason drink drive (and see no problem with it) young people driving powerful cars with not concept of the power or handling of the vehicle, and are generally just bad drivers. Most of them have not had a proper lesson as their parent teach them to drive.

Seeing all too often the aftermath of some of the fortunate ones that survive these accidents and their injuried sustained during. We get to hear of the details surrounding the accident an although speed plays a big part alcohol is bigger part.

The other thing that makes NZ roads more dangerous is the fact that insurance in not compulsory. So wher in the Uk a teenage would not be able to drive a 2 litre subaru as they wont get insurance, here its not a problem. Get my drift.

As for not remebering a road over 40 or 50 miles per hour back in the UK. I remember driving regularly at 70pmh on most roads where I lived except in the city which was all 30mph some scant sports were 40mph. Convert this over and doing 100kph is only about 63mph.

It is all about no planning, tailgating, alcohol, smoking/eating/changing radio, and speed people not realising that their right foot does come of the left peddle and go to the right one once ina while.

Another worrying thought is my hubby was with someone else driving the other day and he was using his right foot for the accelerator and his left foot for the breaks in an auto car! HOW!!!!!! WTF
I agree entirely on all these issues.
But you forgot texting and driving!

I think that powerful automatic cars are very dangerous too - if you try and brake but slip and hit the accelerator accidently (it happens very very occasionally) then you suddenly take off just when you want to stop! Straight through the nearest house you go!
Old May 20th 2009, 12:58 am
Here in Dunedin

southerner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Browner_
I think that powerful automatic cars are very dangerous too - if you try and brake but slip and hit the accelerator accidently (it happens very very occasionally) then you suddenly take off just when you want to stop! Straight through the nearest house you go!
Isn't it the same for manuals?
Old May 20th 2009, 4:35 am
Happy in Wellington

RobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond repute

I blame Playstations.

And automatics.

One button to go, another to stop.

Everyone should learn to drive in a proper car. Taught by an instructor.
Old May 20th 2009, 1:20 pm
BE Forum Addict

sr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond repute

Many drivers are dicks, but i think much of NZ's road tolls is to do with the roads more than anything, especially in comparison to the UK.

In the UK most people drive slowly around their village or town and then in between these they drive on dual carriageways or motorways. NZ has approximately 2 motorways in the whole country and the rest of the open speed limit roads are generally quite twisty 2 lane highways.
Old May 20th 2009, 3:47 pm
BE Enthusiast

jennifer45 has a reputation beyond reputejennifer45 has a reputation beyond reputejennifer45 has a reputation beyond reputejennifer45 has a reputation beyond reputejennifer45 has a reputation beyond reputejennifer45 has a reputation beyond reputejennifer45 has a reputation beyond reputejennifer45 has a reputation beyond reputejennifer45 has a reputation beyond reputejennifer45 has a reputation beyond reputejennifer45 has a reputation beyond repute

Not 'kiwi' driving- rather drivers in NZ.
I've seen some mind boggling manoeuvres performed by drivers who are obviously not used to driving on the 'right' side of the road ie. the left!

Pulling out of junctions in front of traffic due to looking the 'wrong' way.
Negotiating roundabouts/Y junctions etc the 'wrong way'. Entering the 'wrong' SH sliproads. A compulsory test or check of those unfamiliar with driving on the left prior to driving in NZ may weed out the really cr@p drivers.

The worst Kiwi driving habit is tailgating. What is it with these morons?
It's nationwide and occurs in every spectrum of society.
I had a terrifying experience driving between Mapua and Mot. This idiot in a 4x4 with enormous bullbars tailgated me all the way- even passed an accident where a car had gone off the road and was upside down in a ditch with police and ambulance in attendance.
He was less than a foot from my boot and we were travelling at speed.
I slowed but he wouldn't pass- It felt like something out of 'Duel'.
I eventually pulled up outside Motueka Police station. We both got out of our vehicles and I told him what I thought about his driving and asked what the hell was he playing at. He stood there, every inch a wealthy businessman/professional, in his short sleeved striped shirt and tie with a supercilious smirk on his face.
[Yes -I felt very tempted to wipe it off!] Instead I climbed the steps to the police station with him following me. My tirade continued on the lines that he should be ashamed of himself and should take that stupid smirk off his face.
This was overheard by an officer in the front office who was soon joined by three others.
The 'warring' parties were taken to separate interview rooms.
My tale was told- he, it would appear, was angry with me because I hadn't allowed him to overtake me near Mapua and his reason for tailgating me was to teach me a lesson.
The upshot was -He admitted he had tailgated me- he was detained- reported for whatever the offence of tailgating is- eventually- fined /licence endorsed. RESULT!
NZ Uniformed Police- RESPECT!
Old May 20th 2009, 6:53 pm
BE Forum Addict

lapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond repute

Good result!
Old May 20th 2009, 7:07 pm
Happy in Wellington

RobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond repute

So that really taught you a lesson then! What an idiot!
Old May 20th 2009, 10:43 pm
BE Enthusiast

CarolineSwan has a reputation beyond reputeCarolineSwan has a reputation beyond reputeCarolineSwan has a reputation beyond reputeCarolineSwan has a reputation beyond reputeCarolineSwan has a reputation beyond reputeCarolineSwan has a reputation beyond reputeCarolineSwan has a reputation beyond reputeCarolineSwan has a reputation beyond reputeCarolineSwan has a reputation beyond reputeCarolineSwan has a reputation beyond reputeCarolineSwan has a reputation beyond repute

I find the driving where we are fine , but there are still road accidents.. what i love about here is that when on the open road everyone gets there 100k but the second you hit np or inglewood everyone always goes down to 50k.. back where i lived it was a 20 plenty area as there was a zillion kids yet we had daft boy racers going 100mph up the street etc , was def worse there.. i hated driving in the uk i used to stress, here i enjoy it i even drive in town i used to get train to town in the uk.. but then yea quieter here
Old May 20th 2009, 10:51 pm

love30stm is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by carolineshewan
I find the driving where we are fine , but there are still road accidents.. what i love about here is that when on the open road everyone gets there 100k but the second you hit np or inglewood everyone always goes down to 50k.. back where i lived it was a 20 plenty area as there was a zillion kids yet we had daft boy racers going 100mph up the street etc , was def worse there.. i hated driving in the uk i used to stress, here i enjoy it i even drive in town i used to get train to town in the uk.. but then yea quieter here
Agree with you on that one, I like driving here, have not come across any road rage, I love the wide roads, I didnt drive in the uk for 20 years after a small accident, but since being in New Zealand im driving again and love it, but I am aware of the bad driving skills here
Old May 20th 2009, 10:55 pm
BE Enthusiast

CarolineSwan has a reputation beyond reputeCarolineSwan has a reputation beyond reputeCarolineSwan has a reputation beyond reputeCarolineSwan has a reputation beyond reputeCarolineSwan has a reputation beyond reputeCarolineSwan has a reputation beyond reputeCarolineSwan has a reputation beyond reputeCarolineSwan has a reputation beyond reputeCarolineSwan has a reputation beyond reputeCarolineSwan has a reputation beyond reputeCarolineSwan has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by love30stm
Agree with you on that one, I like driving here, have not come across any road rage, I love the wide roads, I didnt drive in the uk for 20 years after a small accident, but since being in New Zealand im driving again and love it, but I am aware of the bad driving skills here
yup i love the wide roads too.. oh yea im aware of it.. you sometimes hear the boy racers taking off and skidding half way along the street but hey thats nothing new, also have had a few sit up my ass when out and about nothing new there either as had it all in the uk only worse... def more room to drive here i think . plus with the amazing scenery the drive into town is enjoyable not sitting at traffic light after traffic light in traffic jams etc
here you can enjoy driving , it wasnt just a means to an end kinda thing
Old May 21st 2009, 7:50 am
BE Enthusiast

Browner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by southerner
Isn't it the same for manuals?
No of course it aint, you have a clutch, and then can use the handbrake.

Jeez, Jeremy Clarkson eat your heart out
Old May 21st 2009, 8:07 am
Here in Dunedin

southerner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond repute

OK - you've lost me completely on this one. First you say automatics are more dangerous because if you miss the brake and hit the accelerator there is likely to be an accident. Now you imply automatics do not have handbrakes.

Maybe you're just having a laugh..
Old May 21st 2009, 8:17 am
you dewty owld maan!

lardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond repute

it would be an interesting excercise to compare not road deaths per head of population but against the vehicle density on the roads.....bet NZ is way worse on that measure.
Doesn't suprise as no-one here has heard of "safe stopping distance" or "lane discipline"......"common courtesy" might be nice too.
Although the road rage is yet to meet UK standards....
Old May 21st 2009, 9:20 am
BE Forum Addict

Genesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=love30stm;7590 driving skills :[/QUOTE]

Using 'driving and skills' in the same sentence with reference to kiwi drivers...thats an oxymoron aye?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.