British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   New Zealand (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/)
-   -   Kiwi drivers (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/kiwi-drivers-825672/)

Celticknight Feb 26th 2015 5:06 pm

Re: Kiwi drivers

Hi All,

(d) its a Subaru!

Ive got a Subaru.... :-) an Impreza, definately would NOT be able to get insurance for it in UK.

Its now fitted with DashCam, to show that we don't make up these stories, especially the ones who overtake on solid yellow lines.

so far this week,

two lanes into a 3 exit roundabout. i'm in right lane to go straight ahead.
car along side me in left lane. soon as entrance is clear, Kiwi Woman driver on left, puts on right turn indicator cuts right in front of me and turns right.

doing down state highway, built up area. car pulls straight out of side road on left, I indicate my discuss with car horn, and I get the 2finger jesture.

8km from Dargarville, 80km/h, a Logging Truck carrying his trailer, attempted to Overtake me on bends.

following car onway home, 20km/h through a 70km/h zone. Nana Driver constantly on Brakes.

well till the next thrilling encounter.

will have to upload videos in near future.

Ian

Snap Shot Feb 26th 2015 7:55 pm

Originally Posted by Celticknight (Post 11577564)
Hi All,

(d) its a Subaru!

Ive got a Subaru.... :-) an Impreza, definately would NOT be able to get insurance for it in UK.

Its now fitted with DashCam, to show that we don't make up these stories, especially the ones who overtake on solid yellow lines.

so far this week,

two lanes into a 3 exit roundabout. i'm in right lane to go straight ahead.
car along side me in left lane. soon as entrance is clear, Kiwi Woman driver on left, puts on right turn indicator cuts right in front of me and turns right.

doing down state highway, built up area. car pulls straight out of side road on left, I indicate my discuss with car horn, and I get the 2finger jesture.

8km from Dargarville, 80km/h, a Logging Truck carrying his trailer, attempted to Overtake me on bends.

following car onway home, 20km/h through a 70km/h zone. Nana Driver constantly on Brakes.

well till the next thrilling encounter.

will have to upload videos in near future.

Ian

Hi Ian, we were in Tutukaka near Whangarei a couple of weeks ago on holiday, well Nunguru to be precise. The drivers seemed fairly well behaved when we were there. However, we did spend most of our time on the beaches having a picnic !

RobClubley Feb 26th 2015 10:55 pm

I've said this before but as long as you drive defensively and assume every other driver is an impatient half blind barely functioning imbecile you'll be all good.

scrubbedexpat094 Feb 26th 2015 11:56 pm

Originally Posted by RobClubley (Post 11577924)
I've said this before but as long as you drive defensively and assume every other driver is an impatient half blind barely functioning imbecile you'll be all good.

Except if they are coming in the opposite direction on your side of the road whilst changing their radio station :sneaky:

RobClubley Feb 27th 2015 12:05 am

Originally Posted by Vitalstatistix (Post 11577965)
Except if they are coming in the opposite direction on your side of the road whilst changing their radio station :sneaky:

Just don't swerve into the oncoming side to avoid them and hit a truck like that poor bloke the other day.

scrubbedexpat094 Feb 27th 2015 12:08 am

Originally Posted by RobClubley (Post 11577970)
Just don't swerve into the oncoming side to avoid them and hit a truck like that poor bloke the other day.

Poor man. Thankfully we didn't and avoided a head on.

Tom H Feb 27th 2015 12:30 am

Originally Posted by Vitalstatistix (Post 11577965)

Or if they're overtaking a slow bus round a dark bend without their fricking car lights on!!!!!!!!!!!!!

And no it wasn't a frickin Malaysian/Chinese/Australian/Brit despite what the media and co want you to frickin believe.

:sneaky::sneaky::sneaky::sneaky::sneaky::sneaky::s neaky::sneaky::sneaky:

Bo-Jangles Feb 27th 2015 6:37 am

Looks like all us Johnny foreigner's had better get with the program and sharpen up our driving skills

Tourist driver stopped, punched in face | Stuff.co.nz

desmondo84 Feb 27th 2015 5:05 pm

we were driving a section of rural road during the week - doing 100 k for most of it but slowed to 90-95 for some bends. Got followed home by a bloke who ranted how we drove too slow....

Bo-Jangles Feb 27th 2015 8:04 pm

Where are all the have-a-go heroes when you really need them

Boy racer invasion riles residents | Stuff.co.nz

I suppose they're all tourists on holiday too, checking out the attractions of Hamilton.

bourbon-biscuit Feb 27th 2015 9:56 pm

Originally Posted by Bo-Jangles (Post 11578723)
Where are all the have-a-go heroes when you really need them

Boy racer invasion riles residents | Stuff.co.nz

I suppose they're all tourists on holiday too, checking out the attractions of Hamilton.

I think a tourist should stop them and take their keys off them.

PS the tourist getting punched in the face just made me so sad. Too many have-a-go bogans in NZ.

arthurfowler Mar 1st 2015 6:54 am

I just can't believe that NOBODY indicates in Auckland. Even on the motorway where it is essential at those speeds, people do NOT indicate, they just move in front of you.

And yes, roundabouts. They still don't indicate, and do not give way to traffic from the right.

Toodles23 Mar 1st 2015 8:40 am

The thing I find stranger than not indicating at all (while annoying and dangerous) is indicating half way round the turn... I've worked out what you're doing now thanks!

MrsFychan Mar 1st 2015 2:37 pm

this could work in Auckland :D

Guy sings ‘Build Me Up ButterCup” while driving and is joined by other drivers. - Just Girly Vines

Tom H Mar 1st 2015 6:46 pm

Kiwi drivers need re-testing too | Stuff.co.nz

No doubt Dave Moore will be classed as a foreigner, how dare he insults the great driving nation that this country is. Dear oh dear Mr Moore. Do you not know there's worse in the UK, Australia etc???

In all my driving years in the UK, I've never seen a UTE go through 2 consecutive red lights, go over the middle lane on Dyers Pass Road, overtake cyclists giving them about 1mm room and then to top it off, go 32kmh in a 50 stretch

Must be a foreigner or a UK experienced driver since we're apparently rubbish at driving *smacks head*