Kiwi drivers

Old Feb 23rd 2015, 6:45 am
  #46  
Life is what YOU make it.
 
Joined: Oct 2009
Location: Christchurch
Posts: 3,312
Stormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Kiwi drivers

How many people take their basic driving test and think they are good drivers ? How many drivers go on to extend their basic skills to a higher level to help keep themselves and passengers safe? We see mummy taking little Johnny to school buy a big tank for protection at who's expense ? one of the others on the school run! Yes there are bad driving standards in NZ..Kiwi's, Asian's and Brit's there were in the UK how many times have I freaked out driving among bloody lunatics on England's fog bound M/ways tailgating the vehicle in front at horrific speeds......Driving standards are crap in NZ, Oz, PRC, UK in fact in most countries because the pass standards are set too low and people think that they are all good drivers...me...you...because we are all better than the average driver..... aren't we ? Proper training by professionals is the only way to go to ensure skill sets are not diluted by self teaching parents and the basic driving test is only the starting point to becoming a safe and competent driver.
Stormer999 is offline  
Old Feb 23rd 2015, 8:32 am
  #47  
---
 
bourbon-biscuit's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2007
Posts: 2,994
bourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Kiwi drivers

I like the system of learning to drive here. For those that don't know, the shortest time period for taking the theory test to getting a full licence is 18 months and only then if you do an advanced driver training to reduce it from two years. We spent a year teaching our daughter working through the excellent resources the NZTA provided. I knew the minimum time frame (6mths) is not actually enough to cement the skills so we took a year and she drove the car about 2-3 hrs per week in that time, an hour of which was explicit instruction using the lesson plans. She now has a restricted licence so can drive alone but knows not to use the radio and we still actually teach her. I worry about her driving - teenagers brains make poor judgements However, in the UK you can theoretically get your licence within days - that's what my husband did!

The main problem with NZ drivers/ driving in NZ, as I see it, is that most Kiwis still have a mindset that there is no one else on the road. Drinking and driving remains acceptable and young people have readier access to cars with huge engines because they don't need to get insurance. The penalties for flouting road rules are not strong enough and crashing in rural locations is risky due to time delay for treatment.

I don't think I am great driver; however, I do maintain a constant vigilance when driving because I believe everyone on the road is dangerous. I pretty much never speed as I do not enjoy driving fast and I also have a zero alcohol policy, so yes, I think I am probably a much less risky driver than most but alas, I am still only a fallible human
bourbon-biscuit is offline  
Old Feb 23rd 2015, 8:52 am
  #48  
BE Enthusiast
 
Perry Groves's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2005
Location: Bay Of Plenty
Posts: 797
Perry Groves has a reputation beyond reputePerry Groves has a reputation beyond reputePerry Groves has a reputation beyond reputePerry Groves has a reputation beyond reputePerry Groves has a reputation beyond reputePerry Groves has a reputation beyond reputePerry Groves has a reputation beyond reputePerry Groves has a reputation beyond reputePerry Groves has a reputation beyond reputePerry Groves has a reputation beyond reputePerry Groves has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Kiwi drivers

Originally Posted by bourbon-biscuit View Post
You have to become a very defensive driver here. Be very careful on rural roads because folk will try to overtake you at speeds way over 100km/h on blind bends, hidden rises, coming into urban areas, outside schools, etc. On rural roads you will wait a long time for an ambulance and it will be a long trip to hospital, whcih is most the reason for the high road fatalities here. When we were back in the UK for seven months in 2012, despite the massive volume of traffic and battling ice, snow, and flooding, we were rarely faced with the risky situations that are so common here. Does my head in.
Yes, we had some fella give us the verbals recently, who was going very fast, I think he had watched "once were warriors" one time too many!
Perry Groves is offline  
Old Feb 23rd 2015, 5:55 pm
  #49  
Life is what YOU make it.
 
Joined: Oct 2009
Location: Christchurch
Posts: 3,312
Stormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Kiwi drivers

Originally Posted by bourbon-biscuit View Post
I like the system of learning to drive here. For those that don't know, the shortest time period for taking the theory test to getting a full licence is 18 months and only then if you do an advanced driver training to reduce it from two years. We spent a year teaching our daughter working through the excellent resources the NZTA provided. I knew the minimum time frame (6mths) is not actually enough to cement the skills so we took a year and she drove the car about 2-3 hrs per week in that time, an hour of which was explicit instruction using the lesson plans. She now has a restricted licence so can drive alone but knows not to use the radio and we still actually teach her. I worry about her driving - teenagers brains make poor judgements However, in the UK you can theoretically get your licence within days - that's what my husband did!

The main problem with NZ drivers/ driving in NZ, as I see it, is that most Kiwis still have a mindset that there is no one else on the road. Drinking and driving remains acceptable and young people have readier access to cars with huge engines because they don't need to get insurance. The penalties for flouting road rules are not strong enough and crashing in rural locations is risky due to time delay for treatment.

I don't think I am great driver; however, I do maintain a constant vigilance when driving because I believe everyone on the road is dangerous. I pretty much never speed as I do not enjoy driving fast and I also have a zero alcohol policy, so yes, I think I am probably a much less risky driver than most but alas, I am still only a fallible human
Excellent post BB it's nice to read a post about driving from someone with the right mindset and spot on with your observations.
If this OP was titled "Drivers in NZ" then I would go along with it but the assumption that Kiwi drivers are the bad ones and because I am a Brit I am a good driver is where the trouble starts because we all think that and we all need to improve our observations and vehicle control and any one thinking they are better than average is going to get a shock...
Stormer999 is offline  
Old Feb 23rd 2015, 8:59 pm
  #50  
BE Enthusiast
 
Mark Smith's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2012
Location: St Albans, Christchurch
Posts: 581
Mark Smith has a reputation beyond reputeMark Smith has a reputation beyond reputeMark Smith has a reputation beyond reputeMark Smith has a reputation beyond reputeMark Smith has a reputation beyond reputeMark Smith has a reputation beyond reputeMark Smith has a reputation beyond reputeMark Smith has a reputation beyond reputeMark Smith has a reputation beyond reputeMark Smith has a reputation beyond reputeMark Smith has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Kiwi drivers

Sorry but I disagree as a newly qualified NZ driver. The current testing regime is thorough and well thought out. However idiots like my wifes 40+ colleague who gave me a big lecture on how I should drive, given his own kids are terrified of getting in the car with him. He drives his huge 4x4 right up to other road users rear bumpers at 100km, ignores the 2 second rule, speeds, overtakes on brows of hills/bends and surprise surprise has had numerous write offs. His pig ignorant "skills" seem to be the norm in these parts. I am clearly not going to be the worlds most skilled driver, but it is my constant aim to stay alive, think of other road users, stay within my limitations and if this makes me superior to this ass clown, then so be it.
Mark Smith is offline  
Old Feb 24th 2015, 12:23 am
  #51  
Life is what YOU make it.
 
Joined: Oct 2009
Location: Christchurch
Posts: 3,312
Stormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Kiwi drivers

Yes i agree the basic driving skills and levels to pass your driving licence are thorough and well thought out obviously, however, they are basic skills and do not generally encompass advanced driving techniques so why don't you suss out the courses available...try the Institute of Advanced drivers ...charity driven group where qualified Observers pass on their hard learned skills. Remember practice and learning are different things.
Stormer999 is offline  
Old Feb 24th 2015, 12:32 am
  #52  
BE Enthusiast
 
Mark Smith's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2012
Location: St Albans, Christchurch
Posts: 581
Mark Smith has a reputation beyond reputeMark Smith has a reputation beyond reputeMark Smith has a reputation beyond reputeMark Smith has a reputation beyond reputeMark Smith has a reputation beyond reputeMark Smith has a reputation beyond reputeMark Smith has a reputation beyond reputeMark Smith has a reputation beyond reputeMark Smith has a reputation beyond reputeMark Smith has a reputation beyond reputeMark Smith has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Kiwi drivers

Im not saying that I'm a better driver and recognise I have a lot to learn. However I know when I see a pig ignorant idiot with no common sense and that was my point.
Mark Smith is offline  
Old Feb 24th 2015, 6:59 pm
  #53  
BE Enthusiast
 
Joined: Oct 2014
Location: Locked In A Vaccinated House
Posts: 462
Tom H has a reputation beyond reputeTom H has a reputation beyond reputeTom H has a reputation beyond reputeTom H has a reputation beyond reputeTom H has a reputation beyond reputeTom H has a reputation beyond reputeTom H has a reputation beyond reputeTom H has a reputation beyond reputeTom H has a reputation beyond reputeTom H has a reputation beyond reputeTom H has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Kiwi drivers

Originally Posted by Mark Smith View Post
Im not saying that I'm a better driver and recognise I have a lot to learn. However I know when I see a pig ignorant idiot with no common sense and that was my point.
Your partners boss can't be a Kiwi driver, New Zealanders are perfect on the roads. You should know that by now

Any form of bad driving must be us. You should know we've bought over our BMW style driving on motorways. Speeding, failing to indicate, tailgating on motorways etc. It's got to be us, or tourists

Even though only 4% of fatal crashes last year in New Zealand (as according to the news report on The Sound today) involved tourist drivers and 7% of fatal crashes involved foreign residents of New Zealand.

By the way today, I saw some old banger estate drive on the grass to avoid the traffic on highway 1, cutting a car up to get onto the road upon approaching the waimak bridge. Must be a French driver since they're impatient in traffic. They like to weave in and out a lot from memory
Tom H is offline  
Old Feb 24th 2015, 8:23 pm
  #54  
Lost in BE Cyberspace
 
Bo-Jangles's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2005
Location: In a large village called Auckland
Posts: 5,159
Bo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Kiwi drivers

Ha, yes I see we're back onto another round of that bandwagon (if we ever left it) rabble-rousing the locals to hate on all tourists and foreigners.

To be honest I don't see too much wrong with the driving in this incident that's currently all over the media, I see much, much worse on a daily basis.

Women snatch dangerous driver's keys | Stuff.co.nz

Such small minded people thinking NZ is unique in having foreign drivers; did they never stop to consider what it's like near any of the UK and European ports. How about we start a call to stop and test all drivers that arrive at Dover and Heathrow everyday; imagine the queue.

Shame the have a go heroes don't concentrate their efforts on stopping drunk people driving.

Last edited by Bo-Jangles; Feb 24th 2015 at 8:27 pm.
Bo-Jangles is offline  
Old Feb 25th 2015, 1:57 am
  #55  
BE Enthusiast
 
Mark Smith's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2012
Location: St Albans, Christchurch
Posts: 581
Mark Smith has a reputation beyond reputeMark Smith has a reputation beyond reputeMark Smith has a reputation beyond reputeMark Smith has a reputation beyond reputeMark Smith has a reputation beyond reputeMark Smith has a reputation beyond reputeMark Smith has a reputation beyond reputeMark Smith has a reputation beyond reputeMark Smith has a reputation beyond reputeMark Smith has a reputation beyond reputeMark Smith has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Kiwi drivers

Seems to be a lot of New Zealanders on the press website holding their hands up saying local drivers just as bad if not worse, in fairness.
Mark Smith is offline  
Old Feb 25th 2015, 7:21 pm
  #56  
MODERATOR
 
MrsFychan's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2011
Location: Wellington - I miss Castles, the NHS & English school system
Posts: 9,041
MrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Kiwi drivers

on entering UK ports sure they have signs up saying what side of the road you need to drive on, do the have that over here?

Possibly better signs/road markings everywhere would be a help ? but thats going to cost and who would foot the bill ?
MrsFychan is offline  
Old Feb 25th 2015, 7:41 pm
  #57  
BE Enthusiast
 
Mark Smith's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2012
Location: St Albans, Christchurch
Posts: 581
Mark Smith has a reputation beyond reputeMark Smith has a reputation beyond reputeMark Smith has a reputation beyond reputeMark Smith has a reputation beyond reputeMark Smith has a reputation beyond reputeMark Smith has a reputation beyond reputeMark Smith has a reputation beyond reputeMark Smith has a reputation beyond reputeMark Smith has a reputation beyond reputeMark Smith has a reputation beyond reputeMark Smith has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Kiwi drivers

Christchurch driving tests seen as 'too tough' | Stuff.co.nz

Ooh the tests are too hard now!!!
Mark Smith is offline  
Old Feb 25th 2015, 8:01 pm
  #58  
BE Enthusiast
 
Joined: Oct 2014
Location: Locked In A Vaccinated House
Posts: 462
Tom H has a reputation beyond reputeTom H has a reputation beyond reputeTom H has a reputation beyond reputeTom H has a reputation beyond reputeTom H has a reputation beyond reputeTom H has a reputation beyond reputeTom H has a reputation beyond reputeTom H has a reputation beyond reputeTom H has a reputation beyond reputeTom H has a reputation beyond reputeTom H has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Kiwi drivers

Originally Posted by Mark Smith View Post
Well to be fair to the test takers, there's less Brits out in Rangiora so there's less chance of them failing due to the fault of us.

Plus there isn't as many roadworks in Rangiora compared to Cone City. Therefore the test takers won't feel pressured by us Brits tailgating them at 30kmh sections, demanding they speed up! Also less roundabouts, traffic lights, less places to merge in turn etc.
Tom H is offline  
Old Feb 25th 2015, 11:58 pm
  #59  
Just Joined
 
Joined: Dec 2012
Posts: 20
jen_jen is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Kiwi drivers

Queenstown driving is a daily adventure - maybe they should have their own Road Code:

1. How to spot a hire car

(a) some have really obvious logos/liveries learn these, however if it does not check if the licence plate has a colour around the outside (pink or orange) this is an indicator of a hire car. Is it new, is a big 4 X 4 (gold or silver) and does it have a lot of passengers in? All indicators of a hire car.

(b) Random stopping and slowing down (actually not so random, near hotels and 'pretty places').

(c) Poor lane discipline, moving over the white line and movement toward the kerb (more randomly than (b) above)

2. How to spot a local/NZ'r

(a) going too fast

(b) paintwork will be showing the effects of years of the NZ sunshine, faded and usually a dark colour, black is favourite followed by brown. An obvious NZ car may even have its own 'paint' job (yes the Mitre 10 paint designed for walls will have been used to pimp a locals car)

(c) bumps and knocks.

(d) its a Subaru!

3 - If pulling into a main road - go left DO NOT attempt to turn right, the chances of getting a gap over both lanes is 1 in 100. Just go left and turn around when you get the chance. The main reason you will never get a gap is not volume of traffic its the mindset of bumper to bumper driving and never allowing someone into the flow of traffic.

Once in the flow of traffic, keep a more than double stopping distance (see 1 (b) and (c))

4 - Roundabouts

(a) make and maintain eye contact if at all possible. Indicators mean nothing. If its a hire vehicle (see 1 above) move slowly it may well stop after its exit and reverse (the concept of going all the way round will not occur not matter how hard you beep and gesture) it may go around the wrong way (towards the right) and it may stop on the roundabout to let others on.

(b) Expect the car to your left to pull out onto the roundabout infront of you at all times.

(c) Be decisive, if at the roundabout with multiple hire cars not knowing who to give way to - GO! Take the opportunity to show how they work (bear in mind 4(b))

(d) Indicate, NZ's (2) and hire cars (1) will have no clue why you do, but its a no excuse to let personal standards drop.

(e) Use your incredulous face (to communicate with other drivers the accident you have both just avoided) and gesture with your hands. Only beep if you really really have to - its just too noisy if you beep everytime!

5. Driving through the CBD or town centre

(a) always be prepared for tourists to walk into the road at any point. Pedestrians will not restrict themselves to the multiple crossing points or zebra crossings.

(b) When there are people at the crossing, they may not be crossing - just waiting for their friends (just because they stand in the area and face the road does not mean they want to cross).

(c) have Radio 4 playing through your radio, you will need something good to listen to while you wait for the car infront to reverse into the park

(d) practice your smiley face, people are on holiday and seeing a stressed and angry driver will dampen their sprits.

6. Driving out of town to far off places

(a) Do you really need to? Its quite risky you know...

Last edited by jen_jen; Feb 26th 2015 at 12:01 am.
jen_jen is offline  
Old Feb 26th 2015, 7:02 am
  #60  
Lost in BE Cyberspace
 
Bo-Jangles's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2005
Location: In a large village called Auckland
Posts: 5,159
Bo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Kiwi drivers

Originally Posted by jen_jen View Post
Queenstown driving is a daily adventure -
Seems they don't call it the adventure capital of the world for nothing.
Bo-Jangles is offline  

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.