British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   New Zealand (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/)
-   -   Kiwi drivers (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/kiwi-drivers-825672/)

Chocoholics Feb 22nd 2015 8:20 pm

Re: Kiwi drivers

Thank God that stupid rule has gone - even now after it has gone it is still causing confusion! Can't imagine why on earth anyone thought it was a good idea in the first place or where it came from. :confused:

garethwm Feb 22nd 2015 8:40 pm

Originally Posted by Chocoholics (Post 11573115)
Thank God that stupid rule has gone - even now after it has gone it is still causing confusion! Can't imagine why on earth anyone thought it was a good idea in the first place or where it came from. :confused:

If you are turning right off a busy road, you are often caught in a dangerous spot sitting stationary in the middle of the road waiting for a break in traffic. I think the idea was to give those cars the right of way over left turning cars (but not straight through cars) from the opposite direction, in order to get those cars off that dangerous place quicker. Theories dont always work well in practice, I suppose.

Perry Groves Feb 23rd 2015 4:27 am

Had a few hairy episodes since I got here!

bourbon-biscuit Feb 23rd 2015 5:09 am

Originally Posted by Stormer999 (Post 11572468)
OK when someone is driving a motor vehicle how do you tell their Nationality....:blink: "They" maybe from any country in the World but some on here seem to have the ability to "know" they are Kiwi which will automatically mean they are not as good at driving as the ones complaining....:thumbdown:

I agree with you to an extent but unfortunately the sheer number of crap drivers undermine that argument in this case. We've been teaching our daughter to drive for the last year or so and it is a sharp reminder of just how utterly shite many, many Kiwi drivers are :thumbdown:

Originally Posted by Hazelnut (Post 11572572)
The one that scares me is the rules about when a driver is turning left from a minor road onto a highway. I'm quite possibly wrong and confused but did it used to be that highway drivers had to stop to let the other driver out and it's now changed but most drivers don't know it's changed?

No, this is not quite right.

Originally Posted by Woodlea (Post 11572996)
Only if you were turning left.

Exactly. It was actually a rule that works well outside of metropolitan areas - it always felt like good manners to me! Anyway, there has been no problem changing it and it was right to do so as traffic volume is so much higher than when the road rules were devised.

bourbon-biscuit Feb 23rd 2015 5:13 am

Originally Posted by Perry Groves (Post 11573423)
Had a few hairy episodes since I got here!

You have to become a very defensive driver here. Be very careful on rural roads because folk will try to overtake you at speeds way over 100km/h on blind bends, hidden rises, coming into urban areas, outside schools, etc. On rural roads you will wait a long time for an ambulance and it will be a long trip to hospital, whcih is most the reason for the high road fatalities here. When we were back in the UK for seven months in 2012, despite the massive volume of traffic and battling ice, snow, and flooding, we were rarely faced with the risky situations that are so common here. Does my head in.

Stormer999 Feb 23rd 2015 5:45 am

How many people take their basic driving test and think they are good drivers ? How many drivers go on to extend their basic skills to a higher level to help keep themselves and passengers safe? We see mummy taking little Johnny to school buy a big tank for protection at who's expense ? one of the others on the school run! Yes there are bad driving standards in NZ..Kiwi's, Asian's and Brit's there were in the UK how many times have I freaked out driving among bloody lunatics on England's fog bound M/ways tailgating the vehicle in front at horrific speeds......Driving standards are crap in NZ, Oz, PRC, UK in fact in most countries because the pass standards are set too low and people think that they are all good drivers...me...you...because we are all better than the average driver..... aren't we ? Proper training by professionals is the only way to go to ensure skill sets are not diluted by self teaching parents and the basic driving test is only the starting point to becoming a safe and competent driver.

bourbon-biscuit Feb 23rd 2015 7:32 am

I like the system of learning to drive here. For those that don't know, the shortest time period for taking the theory test to getting a full licence is 18 months and only then if you do an advanced driver training to reduce it from two years. We spent a year teaching our daughter working through the excellent resources the NZTA provided. I knew the minimum time frame (6mths) is not actually enough to cement the skills so we took a year and she drove the car about 2-3 hrs per week in that time, an hour of which was explicit instruction using the lesson plans. She now has a restricted licence so can drive alone but knows not to use the radio and we still actually teach her. I worry about her driving - teenagers brains make poor judgements :( However, in the UK you can theoretically get your licence within days - that's what my husband did!

The main problem with NZ drivers/ driving in NZ, as I see it, is that most Kiwis still have a mindset that there is no one else on the road. Drinking and driving remains acceptable and young people have readier access to cars with huge engines because they don't need to get insurance. The penalties for flouting road rules are not strong enough and crashing in rural locations is risky due to time delay for treatment.

I don't think I am great driver; however, I do maintain a constant vigilance when driving because I believe everyone on the road is dangerous. I pretty much never speed as I do not enjoy driving fast and I also have a zero alcohol policy, so yes, I think I am probably a much less risky driver than most but alas, I am still only a fallible human :o

Perry Groves Feb 23rd 2015 7:52 am

Originally Posted by bourbon-biscuit (Post 11573440)
You have to become a very defensive driver here. Be very careful on rural roads because folk will try to overtake you at speeds way over 100km/h on blind bends, hidden rises, coming into urban areas, outside schools, etc. On rural roads you will wait a long time for an ambulance and it will be a long trip to hospital, whcih is most the reason for the high road fatalities here. When we were back in the UK for seven months in 2012, despite the massive volume of traffic and battling ice, snow, and flooding, we were rarely faced with the risky situations that are so common here. Does my head in.

Yes, we had some fella give us the verbals recently, who was going very fast, I think he had watched "once were warriors" one time too many!

Stormer999 Feb 23rd 2015 4:55 pm

Originally Posted by bourbon-biscuit (Post 11573502)
I like the system of learning to drive here. For those that don't know, the shortest time period for taking the theory test to getting a full licence is 18 months and only then if you do an advanced driver training to reduce it from two years. We spent a year teaching our daughter working through the excellent resources the NZTA provided. I knew the minimum time frame (6mths) is not actually enough to cement the skills so we took a year and she drove the car about 2-3 hrs per week in that time, an hour of which was explicit instruction using the lesson plans. She now has a restricted licence so can drive alone but knows not to use the radio and we still actually teach her. I worry about her driving - teenagers brains make poor judgements :( However, in the UK you can theoretically get your licence within days - that's what my husband did!

The main problem with NZ drivers/ driving in NZ, as I see it, is that most Kiwis still have a mindset that there is no one else on the road. Drinking and driving remains acceptable and young people have readier access to cars with huge engines because they don't need to get insurance. The penalties for flouting road rules are not strong enough and crashing in rural locations is risky due to time delay for treatment.

I don't think I am great driver; however, I do maintain a constant vigilance when driving because I believe everyone on the road is dangerous. I pretty much never speed as I do not enjoy driving fast and I also have a zero alcohol policy, so yes, I think I am probably a much less risky driver than most but alas, I am still only a fallible human :o

Excellent post BB it's nice to read a post about driving from someone with the right mindset and spot on with your observations.:thumbup:
If this OP was titled "Drivers in NZ" then I would go along with it but the assumption that Kiwi drivers are the bad ones and because I am a Brit I am a good driver is where the trouble starts because we all think that and we all need to improve our observations and vehicle control and any one thinking they are better than average is going to get a shock...;)

Mark Smith Feb 23rd 2015 7:59 pm

Sorry but I disagree as a newly qualified NZ driver. The current testing regime is thorough and well thought out. However idiots like my wifes 40+ colleague who gave me a big lecture on how I should drive, given his own kids are terrified of getting in the car with him. He drives his huge 4x4 right up to other road users rear bumpers at 100km, ignores the 2 second rule, speeds, overtakes on brows of hills/bends and surprise surprise has had numerous write offs. His pig ignorant "skills" seem to be the norm in these parts. I am clearly not going to be the worlds most skilled driver, but it is my constant aim to stay alive, think of other road users, stay within my limitations and if this makes me superior to this ass clown, then so be it.

Stormer999 Feb 23rd 2015 11:23 pm

Yes i agree the basic driving skills and levels to pass your driving licence are thorough and well thought out obviously, however, they are basic skills and do not generally encompass advanced driving techniques so why don't you suss out the courses available...try the Institute of Advanced drivers ...charity driven group where qualified Observers pass on their hard learned skills. Remember practice and learning are different things.;)

Mark Smith Feb 23rd 2015 11:32 pm

Im not saying that I'm a better driver and recognise I have a lot to learn. However I know when I see a pig ignorant idiot with no common sense and that was my point.

Tom H Feb 24th 2015 5:59 pm

Originally Posted by Mark Smith (Post 11574421)
Im not saying that I'm a better driver and recognise I have a lot to learn. However I know when I see a pig ignorant idiot with no common sense and that was my point.

Your partners boss can't be a Kiwi driver, New Zealanders are perfect on the roads. You should know that by now

Any form of bad driving must be us. You should know we've bought over our BMW style driving on motorways. Speeding, failing to indicate, tailgating on motorways etc. It's got to be us, or tourists

Even though only 4% of fatal crashes last year in New Zealand (as according to the news report on The Sound today) involved tourist drivers and 7% of fatal crashes involved foreign residents of New Zealand.

By the way today, I saw some old banger estate drive on the grass to avoid the traffic on highway 1, cutting a car up to get onto the road upon approaching the waimak bridge. Must be a French driver since they're impatient in traffic. They like to weave in and out a lot from memory

Bo-Jangles Feb 24th 2015 7:23 pm

Ha, yes I see we're back onto another round of that bandwagon (if we ever left it) rabble-rousing the locals to hate on all tourists and foreigners.

To be honest I don't see too much wrong with the driving in this incident that's currently all over the media, I see much, much worse on a daily basis.

Women snatch dangerous driver's keys | Stuff.co.nz

Such small minded people thinking NZ is unique in having foreign drivers; did they never stop to consider what it's like near any of the UK and European ports. How about we start a call to stop and test all drivers that arrive at Dover and Heathrow everyday; imagine the queue. :rofl:

Shame the have a go heroes don't concentrate their efforts on stopping drunk people driving.

Mark Smith Feb 25th 2015 12:57 am

Seems to be a lot of New Zealanders on the press website holding their hands up saying local drivers just as bad if not worse, in fairness.

MrsFychan Feb 25th 2015 6:21 pm

on entering UK ports sure they have signs up saying what side of the road you need to drive on, do the have that over here?

Possibly better signs/road markings everywhere would be a help ? but thats going to cost and who would foot the bill ?

Mark Smith Feb 25th 2015 6:41 pm

Christchurch driving tests seen as 'too tough' | Stuff.co.nz

Ooh the tests are too hard now!!!

Tom H Feb 25th 2015 7:01 pm

Originally Posted by Mark Smith (Post 11576598)

Well to be fair to the test takers, there's less Brits out in Rangiora so there's less chance of them failing due to the fault of us.

Plus there isn't as many roadworks in Rangiora compared to Cone City. Therefore the test takers won't feel pressured by us Brits tailgating them at 30kmh sections, demanding they speed up! Also less roundabouts, traffic lights, less places to merge in turn etc.

jen_jen Feb 25th 2015 10:58 pm

Queenstown driving is a daily adventure - maybe they should have their own Road Code:

1. How to spot a hire car

(a) some have really obvious logos/liveries learn these, however if it does not check if the licence plate has a colour around the outside (pink or orange) this is an indicator of a hire car. Is it new, is a big 4 X 4 (gold or silver) and does it have a lot of passengers in? All indicators of a hire car.

(b) Random stopping and slowing down (actually not so random, near hotels and 'pretty places').

(c) Poor lane discipline, moving over the white line and movement toward the kerb (more randomly than (b) above)

2. How to spot a local/NZ'r

(a) going too fast

(b) paintwork will be showing the effects of years of the NZ sunshine, faded and usually a dark colour, black is favourite followed by brown. An obvious NZ car may even have its own 'paint' job (yes the Mitre 10 paint designed for walls will have been used to pimp a locals car)

(c) bumps and knocks.

(d) its a Subaru!

3 - If pulling into a main road - go left DO NOT attempt to turn right, the chances of getting a gap over both lanes is 1 in 100. Just go left and turn around when you get the chance. The main reason you will never get a gap is not volume of traffic its the mindset of bumper to bumper driving and never allowing someone into the flow of traffic.

Once in the flow of traffic, keep a more than double stopping distance (see 1 (b) and (c))

4 - Roundabouts

(a) make and maintain eye contact if at all possible. Indicators mean nothing. If its a hire vehicle (see 1 above) move slowly it may well stop after its exit and reverse (the concept of going all the way round will not occur not matter how hard you beep and gesture) it may go around the wrong way (towards the right) and it may stop on the roundabout to let others on.

(b) Expect the car to your left to pull out onto the roundabout infront of you at all times.

(c) Be decisive, if at the roundabout with multiple hire cars not knowing who to give way to - GO! Take the opportunity to show how they work (bear in mind 4(b))

(d) Indicate, NZ's (2) and hire cars (1) will have no clue why you do, but its a no excuse to let personal standards drop.

(e) Use your incredulous face (to communicate with other drivers the accident you have both just avoided) and gesture with your hands. Only beep if you really really have to - its just too noisy if you beep everytime!

5. Driving through the CBD or town centre

(a) always be prepared for tourists to walk into the road at any point. Pedestrians will not restrict themselves to the multiple crossing points or zebra crossings.

(b) When there are people at the crossing, they may not be crossing - just waiting for their friends (just because they stand in the area and face the road does not mean they want to cross).

(c) have Radio 4 playing through your radio, you will need something good to listen to while you wait for the car infront to reverse into the park

(d) practice your smiley face, people are on holiday and seeing a stressed and angry driver will dampen their sprits.

6. Driving out of town to far off places

(a) Do you really need to? Its quite risky you know...

Bo-Jangles Feb 26th 2015 6:02 am

Originally Posted by jen_jen (Post 11576889)
Queenstown driving is a daily adventure -

Seems they don't call it the adventure capital of the world for nothing. :rofl:

Celticknight Feb 26th 2015 5:06 pm

Hi All,

(d) its a Subaru!

Ive got a Subaru.... :-) an Impreza, definately would NOT be able to get insurance for it in UK.

Its now fitted with DashCam, to show that we don't make up these stories, especially the ones who overtake on solid yellow lines.

so far this week,

two lanes into a 3 exit roundabout. i'm in right lane to go straight ahead.
car along side me in left lane. soon as entrance is clear, Kiwi Woman driver on left, puts on right turn indicator cuts right in front of me and turns right.

doing down state highway, built up area. car pulls straight out of side road on left, I indicate my discuss with car horn, and I get the 2finger jesture.

8km from Dargarville, 80km/h, a Logging Truck carrying his trailer, attempted to Overtake me on bends.

following car onway home, 20km/h through a 70km/h zone. Nana Driver constantly on Brakes.

well till the next thrilling encounter.

will have to upload videos in near future.

Ian

Snap Shot Feb 26th 2015 7:55 pm

Originally Posted by Celticknight (Post 11577564)
Hi All,

(d) its a Subaru!

Ive got a Subaru.... :-) an Impreza, definately would NOT be able to get insurance for it in UK.

Its now fitted with DashCam, to show that we don't make up these stories, especially the ones who overtake on solid yellow lines.

so far this week,

two lanes into a 3 exit roundabout. i'm in right lane to go straight ahead.
car along side me in left lane. soon as entrance is clear, Kiwi Woman driver on left, puts on right turn indicator cuts right in front of me and turns right.

doing down state highway, built up area. car pulls straight out of side road on left, I indicate my discuss with car horn, and I get the 2finger jesture.

8km from Dargarville, 80km/h, a Logging Truck carrying his trailer, attempted to Overtake me on bends.

following car onway home, 20km/h through a 70km/h zone. Nana Driver constantly on Brakes.

well till the next thrilling encounter.

will have to upload videos in near future.

Ian

Hi Ian, we were in Tutukaka near Whangarei a couple of weeks ago on holiday, well Nunguru to be precise. The drivers seemed fairly well behaved when we were there. However, we did spend most of our time on the beaches having a picnic !

RobClubley Feb 26th 2015 10:55 pm

I've said this before but as long as you drive defensively and assume every other driver is an impatient half blind barely functioning imbecile you'll be all good.

scrubbedexpat094 Feb 26th 2015 11:56 pm

Originally Posted by RobClubley (Post 11577924)
I've said this before but as long as you drive defensively and assume every other driver is an impatient half blind barely functioning imbecile you'll be all good.

Except if they are coming in the opposite direction on your side of the road whilst changing their radio station :sneaky:

RobClubley Feb 27th 2015 12:05 am

Originally Posted by Vitalstatistix (Post 11577965)
Except if they are coming in the opposite direction on your side of the road whilst changing their radio station :sneaky:

Just don't swerve into the oncoming side to avoid them and hit a truck like that poor bloke the other day.

scrubbedexpat094 Feb 27th 2015 12:08 am

Originally Posted by RobClubley (Post 11577970)
Just don't swerve into the oncoming side to avoid them and hit a truck like that poor bloke the other day.

Poor man. Thankfully we didn't and avoided a head on.

Tom H Feb 27th 2015 12:30 am

Originally Posted by Vitalstatistix (Post 11577965)

Or if they're overtaking a slow bus round a dark bend without their fricking car lights on!!!!!!!!!!!!!

And no it wasn't a frickin Malaysian/Chinese/Australian/Brit despite what the media and co want you to frickin believe.

:sneaky::sneaky::sneaky::sneaky::sneaky::sneaky::s neaky::sneaky::sneaky:

Bo-Jangles Feb 27th 2015 6:37 am

Looks like all us Johnny foreigner's had better get with the program and sharpen up our driving skills

Tourist driver stopped, punched in face | Stuff.co.nz

desmondo84 Feb 27th 2015 5:05 pm

we were driving a section of rural road during the week - doing 100 k for most of it but slowed to 90-95 for some bends. Got followed home by a bloke who ranted how we drove too slow....

Bo-Jangles Feb 27th 2015 8:04 pm

Where are all the have-a-go heroes when you really need them

Boy racer invasion riles residents | Stuff.co.nz

I suppose they're all tourists on holiday too, checking out the attractions of Hamilton.

bourbon-biscuit Feb 27th 2015 9:56 pm

Originally Posted by Bo-Jangles (Post 11578723)
Where are all the have-a-go heroes when you really need them

Boy racer invasion riles residents | Stuff.co.nz

I suppose they're all tourists on holiday too, checking out the attractions of Hamilton.

I think a tourist should stop them and take their keys off them.

PS the tourist getting punched in the face just made me so sad. Too many have-a-go bogans in NZ.

arthurfowler Mar 1st 2015 6:54 am

I just can't believe that NOBODY indicates in Auckland. Even on the motorway where it is essential at those speeds, people do NOT indicate, they just move in front of you.

And yes, roundabouts. They still don't indicate, and do not give way to traffic from the right.

Toodles23 Mar 1st 2015 8:40 am

The thing I find stranger than not indicating at all (while annoying and dangerous) is indicating half way round the turn... I've worked out what you're doing now thanks!

MrsFychan Mar 1st 2015 2:37 pm

this could work in Auckland :D

Guy sings ‘Build Me Up ButterCup” while driving and is joined by other drivers. - Just Girly Vines

Tom H Mar 1st 2015 6:46 pm

Kiwi drivers need re-testing too | Stuff.co.nz

No doubt Dave Moore will be classed as a foreigner, how dare he insults the great driving nation that this country is. Dear oh dear Mr Moore. Do you not know there's worse in the UK, Australia etc???

In all my driving years in the UK, I've never seen a UTE go through 2 consecutive red lights, go over the middle lane on Dyers Pass Road, overtake cyclists giving them about 1mm room and then to top it off, go 32kmh in a 50 stretch

Must be a foreigner or a UK experienced driver since we're apparently rubbish at driving *smacks head*

Tom H Mar 1st 2015 10:50 pm

And another one happens

Keys snatched from another foreign driver | Stuff.co.nz

I wonder if any of these foreign hating, superb Kiwi driving locals would dare take the keys off any local in the highly unlikely event they perform reckless driving????

Doubt they will since the locals are superb behind the wheel and never do anything that could risk injury.

Quite scary how the media are trying to brainwash people that it's all the foreigners fault for the road accidents, despite so many statistics proving we're dealing with a small minority. If this continues, we may see some vigilantes out there which of course would only target foreign looking or rental car drivers.

RobClubley Mar 1st 2015 10:54 pm

This is a worrying trend, which the media is encouraging.

arthurfowler Mar 1st 2015 10:57 pm

Agreed. I couldn't believe the news when I saw them complaining about tourist drivers.

Also, don't forget cyclists. They cycle on the footpaths with kids and elderly people walking around. I think that is massively dangerous and no-one seems to care.

RobClubley Mar 1st 2015 11:02 pm

I drove about 90km yesterday. I nearly got taken out by a woman in a Pajero (appropriate name) who thought me indicating right at a roundabout meant straight on.
And a Honda people carrier thing just casually moved into my lane with no signal leaving about 0.5m between us.
Shame my new dashcam broke and the replacement isn't here yet :(

bourbon-biscuit Mar 2nd 2015 4:45 am

I was listening to the radio a couple of days ago and the discussion was about rural roads and what one speaker called death bridges (the ones that are single lane only). She was complaining about them because she said they are such death traps as they are so often after hairpin bends so you don't get enough time to see them when you are doing 100km/h. :huh::blink::huh:

My husband has taken to indicating right at roundabouts in Hamilton when he is going straight over because he has been so nearly taken out too many times. :huh::blink::huh: