British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   New Zealand (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/)
-   -   Kiwi drivers (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/kiwi-drivers-825672/)

moonie2011 Feb 23rd 2014 3:15 am

Re: Kiwi drivers

Originally Posted by barnsleymat (Post 11138513)
What is it with Kiwi's and roundabouts, they seem totally unaware of what to do. They don't seem to know how to indicate correctly, they don't give way properly, no idea which is the correct lane. Totally baffles me why something so simple causes so much confusion. There's no big complicated roundabout with traffic lights, bus lanes or pedestrian crossings like other countries, roundabouts are usually 4 exits/entry ones.

Lets not get started on tailgaters.

OMG YES, so approaching the roundabout to turn right, 3rd exit. Lane I'm in the right lane, it says right in arrow form, the left lane says left and straight ahead and yet they still go all the way round the r/about in the left lane and take the 3rd exit, THEN they speed up and don't let you into the left lane so I can take the fast approaching left turn I need!!!! :angry_smile:

Stormer999 Feb 23rd 2014 5:36 am

Ah but don't forget.....all drivers are better than average!;)

Fair plays Bevs for going out and making the effort to ensure you really are :thumbup:

Charismatic Feb 23rd 2014 5:58 am

I enjoy driving in New Zealand. When we get a hot Sunday afternoon sometimes dog and I just like to take a little trip to a local river for a swim. I enjoy the gentle gravel roads and listening to some Melvyn Bragg on the radio, dog quite enjoys sticking her head out of the window. We wave at all the country folk as we pass, dog feels the need to show a special alertness at rabbits and possums on the road. There is little more pleasant and relaxing than that soft calling of the rural roads.

pippalonghorn Feb 23rd 2014 8:44 pm

Originally Posted by Charismatic (Post 11143631)
I enjoy driving in New Zealand. When we get a hot Sunday afternoon sometimes dog and I just like to take a little trip to a local river for a swim. I enjoy the gentle gravel roads and listening to some Melvyn Bragg on the radio, dog quite enjoys sticking her head out of the window. We wave at all the country folk as we pass, dog feels the need to show a special alertness at rabbits and possums on the road. There is little more pleasant and relaxing than that soft calling of the rural roads.

Youre dog may actually prove to be a better driver than half of the numptees on the roads. :sneaky:

jmh Feb 23rd 2014 10:54 pm

Originally Posted by Charismatic (Post 11143631)

Really? What station is that on then?

Charismatic Feb 24th 2014 9:25 am

Originally Posted by jmh (Post 11144755)
Really? What station is that on then?

I broadcast it from my mobile telephone to the cars radio. There is a BBC application for Windows phones called "Listen Again" that lets you podcast everything from BBC radio.

Radio 4 in other words.

Charismatic Feb 24th 2014 9:39 am

Originally Posted by pippalonghorn (Post 11144585)
Youre dog may actually prove to be a better driver than half of the numptees on the roads. :sneaky:

Yet apparently this argument does not hold sway with the police when the dog is caught driving you home from the pub :thumbdown:. It's a conspiracy between Google, Police and Illuminati to make you wait for Google to invent a self drive car before you can have a mini-bar built into the dashboard.

BEVS Feb 24th 2014 7:34 pm

pippalonghorn Feb 24th 2014 8:24 pm

Where is Porters 'coffee to go' and his 'mobile phone'. Surely he should have at least one of them in his hand. ;)

BEVS Feb 24th 2014 8:28 pm

Originally Posted by pippalonghorn (Post 11146268)
Where is Porters 'coffee to go' and his 'mobile phone'. Surely he should have at least one of them in his hand.

You answered this yourself. :sneaky:

Originally Posted by pippalonghorn
Your dog may actually prove to be a better driver than half of the numptees on the roads

pippalonghorn Feb 24th 2014 8:30 pm

Ah yes I did! :huh:

HairyScot Feb 22nd 2015 12:33 am

Originally Posted by barnsleymat (Post 11138513)
What is it with Kiwi's and roundabouts, they seem totally unaware of what to do. They don't seem to know how to indicate correctly, they don't give way properly, no idea which is the correct lane. Totally baffles me why something so simple causes so much confusion. There's no big complicated roundabout with traffic lights, bus lanes or pedestrian crossings like other countries, roundabouts are usually 4 exits/entry ones.

Lets not get started on tailgaters.

Is well as being clueless at roundabouts, the average kiwi driver has no idea of the correct procedure when turning onto a two lane carriageway, has no idea how to drive on a motorway, and has no idea of the correct position to take when waiting at a junction.

In addition they have the reactions and the road sense of blancmanges.

Snap Shot Feb 22nd 2015 1:14 am

Behold, this thread is risen !

Nearly a year to the day of the last post ! Hey, let's do this to an old thread on it's anniversary every year.

Stormer999 Feb 22nd 2015 1:52 am

Boring......:thumbdown:

Blade Down Under Feb 22nd 2015 3:00 am

Originally Posted by HairyScot (Post 11572361)
Is well as being clueless at roundabouts, the average kiwi driver has no idea of the correct procedure when turning onto a two lane carriageway, has no idea how to drive on a motorway, and has no idea of the correct position to take when waiting at a junction.

In addition they have the reactions and the road sense of blancmanges.

Try merging in turn with them.

Or my favourite, they go 80kmh on single way but as soon as you come to a passing lane, they speed up to 110kmh.