British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   New Zealand (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/)
-   -   Kiwi Drivers (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/kiwi-drivers-510482/)

Lemon Bear Jan 31st 2008 3:58 am

Re: Kiwi Drivers

Originally Posted by RobClubley (Post 5861580)
I'm kinda used to it now. I just expect appalling driving and am not usually disappointed.

Of course I am a perfect driver and never make a mistake!!

I'm with you Rob :thumbsup:.

From one perfect driver to another ;)

luvwelly Jan 31st 2008 4:11 am

Originally Posted by brussels_sprout (Post 5861451)
Outside of Auckland, Kiwi drivers are the best, safest drivers I have ever experienced, i laugh out loud at anyone who complains about driving in NZ, try driving around 3 or 4 in the afternoon in Italy or France just after the restaurants throw out. NZ does have quite a high death rate on the roads, twice that of England, but this due to geography and road design

Brussels I agree. If I'm honest I haven't found it too bad...apart from the occasional boy racerI We drove miles and miles (ok kilometres) on recent holiday and it was entirely without negative driving incidents and the roads were really quiet.
I have had many more problems in mainland Europe with bad driving and I find the UK courtesy prevails to a large extent around Wellington...letting you in if you indicate etc.

Maz Jan 31st 2008 5:19 am

Originally Posted by brussels_sprout (Post 5861451)
Outside of Auckland, Kiwi drivers are the best, safest drivers I have ever experienced, i laugh out loud at anyone who complains about driving in NZ, try driving around 3 or 4 in the afternoon in Italy or France just after the restaurants throw out. NZ does have quite a high death rate on the roads, twice that of England, but this due to geography and road design

Completely agree!

And if anyone here has ever driven in Chicago, with the US being home of the massive SUV, they'd get numb to seeing at least two accidents a day, one on the way to work and one on the way back. And that's just a 20-mile drive each way, not even going all the way into the city.

Originally Posted by luvwelly (Post 5862149)
I have had many more problems in mainland Europe with bad driving and I find the UK courtesy prevails to a large extent around Wellington... letting you in if you indicate etc.

:thumbup: Merging is easy here, people actually let you merge! :eek: :thumbup:

urbanproject Jan 31st 2008 9:30 am

Originally Posted by Stef_Paul (Post 5861382)
Has anyone here joined me in the experience? They overtake on blind bends, overtake about 5 cars when something is coming the other way, pull out of junctions in front of you without a care in the world and I have found out today that they go out of their way to try and knock down pedestrians!!!:eek:

Agreed with the indicators, they hardly ever use them, especially when merging on the motorway :curse: Not to mention not checking blindspot when changing lanes!

Everytime I mention the indicator to my kiwi OH, I hear a grumble but I stay strong to my word :rofl:

However I must admit they are better drivers than what I experienced in France :lol:

RobClubley Jan 31st 2008 6:25 pm

Originally Posted by urbanproject (Post 5863089)
Agreed with the indicators, they hardly ever use them, especially when merging on the motorway :curse: Not to mention not checking blindspot when changing lanes!

Everytime I mention the indicator to my kiwi OH, I hear a grumble but I stay strong to my word :rofl:

However I must admit they are better drivers than what I experienced in France :lol:

Really? We had a really good experience in France - on the peage at least - drivers were really good at indicating and moving over after passing.

Yotty Jan 31st 2008 7:19 pm

They were probably UK drivers Rob! ;)

j19fmm Jan 31st 2008 8:04 pm

:thumbup: Merging is easy here, people actually let you merge! :eek: :thumbup:[/QUOTE]

I just love the road sign that says
"Merge like a zip"
Can't help it, cracks me up every time:rofl:

dlmckay Jan 31st 2008 10:07 pm

Originally Posted by Nerine (Post 5861460)
How do you know they are all Kiwis anyway?

Perhaps the phrase would be better put as "drivers in NZ"...

Originally Posted by Maz (Post 5862275)
:thumbup: Merging is easy here, people actually let you merge! :eek: :thumbup:

Not in Auckland they don't! :blink: and if you leave a braking distance between yourself and the car in front, someone will pull into that gap.

My personal favorite, and I've seen this twice now, is the person who wants to come onto the motorway when the speed is quite high... they drive onto the onramp and then will slow down, slow down, slow down, come to a complete stop and wait for a gap in the traffic before taking off in first gear into 100kph traffic... :eek: :eek:

Wiz'n'Ton Feb 1st 2008 1:27 am

In ChCh the driving overall seems pretty good and not really anything to complain about - certainly not when compared to London driving!

I suppose the worst thing here are the red light jumpers. As ChCh is set out on a grid (like many US cities) there are about 8 billion crossroads, all light controlled. The number of reds I've seen ignored or jumped are too many to count. We've recently seen 2 nasty accidents caused by light jumpers and so now I always give a green light a few seconds before heading through it - just in case.

Kiwiprincess Feb 1st 2008 3:48 am

Originally Posted by dlmckay (Post 5866613)
Perhaps the phrase would be better put as "drivers in NZ"...

Not in Auckland they don't! :blink: and if you leave a braking distance between yourself and the car in front, someone will pull into that gap.

My personal favorite, and I've seen this twice now, is the person who wants to come onto the motorway when the speed is quite high... they drive onto the onramp and then will slow down, slow down, slow down, come to a complete stop and wait for a gap in the traffic before taking off in first gear into 100kph traffic... :eek: :eek:

Oh gosh! I saw that in Queensland recently! Gave me the willies!! Saw a car literally parked waiting for its spot.

As for indicators....they are those pretty flashing things on the side of the car, right?? Actually story time here. My mother used to drive a really old V8 Chryster Valiant and it didn't have indicators! She used to have to hold her arm out when she wanted to turn corners. I swear she was doing that right into the 90s. My mother is only 53 so she is quite pleased when i tell that story to people as it makes he seem far older than she is :sneaky: