Old Aug 13th 2013, 11:46 pm
`

BEVS has disabled reputation
Default Re: Kiwi born and bred - over it

Originally Posted by MrsFychan
Belgium is also a rental country.
interesting really.

Originally Posted by MrsFychan
I'm of the generation where you were told to get on the property ladder as soon as you can
I wasn't told to as such but it was clear that buying a house was something very sensible to aspire to . My parents were so very, very proud when I managed to achieve that and as a single female to boot.

It is the thing to do in New Zealand too. It is seen as 'superannuation' .
Old Aug 13th 2013, 11:53 pm

Snap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond repute

I was eight years old when my parents purchased their house. As a family we lived in rented accommodation for all that time. I don't remember being advised or encouraged to buy property prematurely.

I do remember, however, being at work in 1988 (I was still living with my parents). People with mortgages came back from lunch, in tears, because they had heard on the radio during a news bulletin that mortgage interest rates had gone up again.
Old Aug 14th 2013, 12:00 am
Account Closed

Tom1983 has a spectacular aura aboutTom1983 has a spectacular aura aboutTom1983 has a spectacular aura about

I'm from the generation where owning a property outweighs the risks of renting a property

I've experienced the rental property route where i've been kicked out because the landlord isn't up to date with the mortgage payments (bank re-possessed the property). I've experienced bailiffs coming round because payments haven't been made by former tenants and they've given the address being used as the one we're renting - oh what a legal proceeding that was with the police! I've not experienced being kicked out because the landlord wants the property for someone else but i've known people to suffer that

Oh and lastly, the place where we were at before moving to our new place. The new landlord having the cheek to up the rent by $150 a week! That's us gone, see you later!!

I understand some people cannot afford a mortgage or to buy a house so have no choice renting (hence housing should be made affordable but that's another argument). There are good landlords out there but there's also the bad landlords out there. Luckily we've got a lovely landlord now but my goodness we've had some difficult landlords in our time. It's not fun being evicted at short notice because someone hasn't kept up to date with their mortgage payments.
Old Aug 14th 2013, 4:03 am
Forum Regular

pixiewink has much to be proud ofpixiewink has much to be proud ofpixiewink has much to be proud ofpixiewink has much to be proud ofpixiewink has much to be proud ofpixiewink has much to be proud ofpixiewink has much to be proud ofpixiewink has much to be proud ofpixiewink has much to be proud ofpixiewink has much to be proud ofpixiewink has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Snap Shot
I do remember, however, being at work in 1988 (I was still living with my parents). People with mortgages came back from lunch, in tears, because they had heard on the radio during a news bulletin that mortgage interest rates had gone up again.
I was one of those....in my late teens too .....was a very sad hard time....I was working in debt recovery....so I was very busy and had no worries about my job!!!!!!
Old Aug 14th 2013, 6:45 am

Snap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by pixiewink
I was one of those....in my late teens too .....was a very sad hard time....I was working in debt recovery....so I was very busy and had no worries about my job!!!!!!
I was working in the New Business Department of a Leasing Company. The speed at which contracts went from New Business to Credit control was amazing !
Old Aug 14th 2013, 7:52 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond repute

We weren't on the property ladder then either but I remember friends and work colleagues were handing back keys as they could no longer afford to maintain the payments on their 100% mortgaged homes. It ended up being a blessing for us as the bubble burst and house prices started to fall and with so many repos on the market we eventaully managed to hop onto the bottom rung.
Old Aug 14th 2013, 8:08 am

We purchased our first house in Woking 1995. Bottom of housing market. Prices were just about to turn upwards. We purchased our first house, a 3 bed terrace for 64,500GBP. We had got married a few months earlier.
Old Aug 14th 2013, 10:49 pm
Looking for my marbles.

pippalonghorn has a reputation beyond reputepippalonghorn has a reputation beyond reputepippalonghorn has a reputation beyond reputepippalonghorn has a reputation beyond reputepippalonghorn has a reputation beyond reputepippalonghorn has a reputation beyond reputepippalonghorn has a reputation beyond reputepippalonghorn has a reputation beyond reputepippalonghorn has a reputation beyond reputepippalonghorn has a reputation beyond reputepippalonghorn has a reputation beyond repute

The good old days! I wonder if people are saying that here in a few years time. The bubble needs to burst but I do feel for those who will be hugely affected when it does burst.
Old Aug 14th 2013, 11:18 pm

I wouldn't mind getting back to Britain before the housing market takes off. I doubt that will happen, but, you never know.
Old Aug 14th 2013, 11:59 pm
BE Enthusiast

davros1984 has a reputation beyond reputedavros1984 has a reputation beyond reputedavros1984 has a reputation beyond reputedavros1984 has a reputation beyond reputedavros1984 has a reputation beyond reputedavros1984 has a reputation beyond reputedavros1984 has a reputation beyond reputedavros1984 has a reputation beyond reputedavros1984 has a reputation beyond reputedavros1984 has a reputation beyond reputedavros1984 has a reputation beyond repute

I wouldn't mind getting back to Britain before the housing market takes off. I doubt that will happen, but, you never know.
Same - just trying to work out when the return is viable from a financial point of view. The earliest I'd say is April/May next year (so that we have the funds to go home, ship some boxes back, rent somewhere for 3-6 months, have funds for interviews and then hopefully to buy a house).

When do you think you will make it back?

The BBC have lauched this btw:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-23234033

It really opens your eyes. To see our situation, enter the following:
Buy
Deposit - 20000
3 Beds
Mid-priced for local market
£800 mortgage repayment a month

Basically its all midlands and above.

Last edited by davros1984; Aug 15th 2013 at 12:34 am.
Old Aug 15th 2013, 12:28 am
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Wow. That is a really helpful site.

I can see it being the Midlands. That is where Mr BEVS family mostly all live & the younger ones have managed to buy property in the area - ( saved for their deposits ) Wolverhampton etc.
Old Aug 15th 2013, 2:39 am

Um, nothing has been decided. Except that we are not in a position to move.

However, I'd like the job and therefore house search area to be from Birmingham to Suffolk, all the way to the south coast of England, stopping at Hampshire, oh all right Dorset as well.

That's without ruling out the, 'heart of England' counties, Worcester etc. My husband will consider a job in England, Wales or Scotland - for the right money of course

He doesn't really want to work in London again. He doesn't want the commute, and I don't blame him. No doubt he will get to his place of employment by driving or public transport of some description. Any chance he could walk, like he does now ? As his workplace is less than two miles away ? Just not the London commute. Oh ok, the Birmingham or Leeds commute would be about as much fun I suppose, but, anyway.

Last edited by Snap Shot; Aug 15th 2013 at 2:45 am.
Old Aug 15th 2013, 3:44 am
BE Enthusiast

davros1984 has a reputation beyond reputedavros1984 has a reputation beyond reputedavros1984 has a reputation beyond reputedavros1984 has a reputation beyond reputedavros1984 has a reputation beyond reputedavros1984 has a reputation beyond reputedavros1984 has a reputation beyond reputedavros1984 has a reputation beyond reputedavros1984 has a reputation beyond reputedavros1984 has a reputation beyond reputedavros1984 has a reputation beyond repute

Same - I never want to live in the South East of England again, a materialistic and pretentious hell-hole. Although there is the odd nice spot and its good to visit London for a day or 2.

Do you feel you need to decide something? Sorry about your job troubles, I think if I were in your position I would have cleared off home a long time ago (as I'm far too career minded sometimes).

Back to the BBC tool - glad you liked that BEVs.

If I were to put the requirements of what I will now need to stand a chance of buying a 3 bed house in a cheaper area of the N. Shore....

BBC Options:
Buy
Deposit - £61,5000
3 Beds
Cheaper end of local market
Monthly Repayment of £1400

I can apparently buy in 97% of the UK whereas I would struggle with that here. I've used the 2-1 Ratio.

So for a $615,000 3-bed house, with a $123,000 deposit and monthly repayments of $2800.

Again - really highlights how crazy this place is right now. As in the UK across a number of major cities, I'll be able to buy in a number of towns/cities, mid-range level house with only £20,000 deposit and monthly mortgage payments of £800.
Old Aug 15th 2013, 4:02 am

[quote=davros1984;10851463]Same - I never want to live in the South East of England again, a materialistic and pretentious hell-hole.[quote]
Oh, Guildford's not that bad ! I was fed up with the middle class encouragement to show off in S.E. England when we left a couple of years ago. It's funny, these days, I kinda miss it. I miss laughing at it too, but still.
Originally Posted by davros1984
Although there is the odd nice spot and its good to visit London for a day or 2
. Agree

Last edited by BEVS; Aug 15th 2013 at 4:24 am. Reason: quote thing
Old Aug 15th 2013, 4:02 am

Originally Posted by Davros
Do you feel you need to decide something?
Yes, the decision has been made. Carry on with the, 'wait and see' that we have been doing since arriving in Feb 2011.
Originally Posted by Davros
Sorry about your job troubles, thank youI think if I were in your position I would have cleared off home a long time ago
Get me out of this cartoon ! Yup, I can fully appreciate that. This experience is supposed to be an adventure, right ? I do voluntary work so my cv doesn't have more holes in it than swiss cheese. That was born out of desperation because I can't bear being unemployed for months on end

I can't claim unemployment benefit in NZ either. When I have been in paid employment here in NZ, I was taxed as an individual. When I go to claim unemployment benefit, household income as a whole is taken into account . I wanted to live in NZ because........

Last edited by BEVS; Aug 15th 2013 at 4:25 am.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.