The kiwi $

Old Aug 9th 2012, 10:39 pm
BE Forum Addict

TommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: The kiwi $

Genesis;

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=586079

It's interesting that people were willing to back the £ back in 2009.

Hindsight 20:20 vision and all that.

Last edited by TommyLuck; Aug 9th 2012 at 10:41 pm.
Old Aug 9th 2012, 10:55 pm
BE Forum Addict

Genesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TommyLuck
Genesis;

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=586079

It's interesting that people were willing to back the £ back in 2009.

Hindsight 20:20 vision and all that.
Maybe because we (or I was anyway) stupidly chasing the magic 3 for 1.

One is looking very silly now. Bad call, bad punt, bad choice..bollocks. My fault. Ho hum. You lose some you lose some!!
Old Aug 10th 2012, 10:20 am
BE Forum Addict

TommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond repute

Perhaps 3:1 is a pipe dream for now, I suppose you can reassess at 2.2 and if the £ is climbing you can take a decision.

I suppose, technically, you haven't lost anything. It's just not as beneficial, if at all.

The real winners are the ones who changed up £ --> NZD when it was 3:1 who are now changing thier NZD back to £'s.

Ker-ching.
Old Aug 10th 2012, 10:43 am
It is what it is Member

simonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond repute

Perhaps 3:1 is a pipe dream for now, I suppose you can reassess at 2.2 and if the £ is climbing you can take a decision.

I suppose, technically, you haven't lost anything. It's just not as beneficial, if at all.

The real winners are the ones who changed up £ --> NZD when it was 3:1 who are now changing thier NZD back to £'s.

Ker-ching.
Assuming they came out of the UK property market and now wish to go back in....I think you will find they ave still lost out massively to house price gains in the same period, even with the stagnation/drops since 2009...
Old Aug 10th 2012, 10:53 am
BE Forum Addict

True. Not being home owner I don't think along these lines, I'm just thinking from a cash point of view.
Old Aug 13th 2012, 2:48 am
Forum Regular

BlackCrossInResidence is a name known to allBlackCrossInResidence is a name known to allBlackCrossInResidence is a name known to allBlackCrossInResidence is a name known to allBlackCrossInResidence is a name known to allBlackCrossInResidence is a name known to allBlackCrossInResidence is a name known to allBlackCrossInResidence is a name known to allBlackCrossInResidence is a name known to allBlackCrossInResidence is a name known to allBlackCrossInResidence is a name known to all

Mixed news for sterling Aug 12, 2012 - 4:00 pm

This week Alice Ross, the FT’s currencies correspondent, is joined by Javier Corominas, head of research and fx strategy at Record Currency Management, to discuss what’s driving the pound and euro weakness as the Draghi effect fades. They also look at the strength of the Australian dollar and the Japanese yen.

http://podcast.ft.com/index.php?pid=1569
Old Aug 13th 2012, 12:20 pm
Truth is the safest lie.

Charismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: The kiwi $

Originally Posted by simonsi
Assuming they came out of the UK property market and now wish to go back in....I think you will find they ave still lost out massively to house price gains in the same period, even with the stagnation/drops since 2009...
Both the Reserve Bank guv' and Minister of Finance have pointed out this week that New Zealand is still about 25% above it's long-run average value in house prices. Those countries that experienced significant adjustment like the US is probably pretty safe.

Also thinking about prices you have to take into account localisation of markets, Auckland's north shore has price-to-median household income income multiples exceeding 7 whereas Wanganui sits at about 2.5 times median household income.
Old Aug 14th 2012, 6:52 am
Forum Regular

_0v0_ has a brilliant future_0v0_ has a brilliant future_0v0_ has a brilliant future_0v0_ has a brilliant future_0v0_ has a brilliant future_0v0_ has a brilliant future_0v0_ has a brilliant future_0v0_ has a brilliant future

I suspect that in Auckland the problem is simple old-fashioned supply vs demand, especially cheaper housing. There are some quite scary stories about overcrowding in the poorer districts, particularly Manukau. So possibly no bubble at all now.
Old Aug 14th 2012, 10:44 am
BE Forum Addict

Justcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond repute

The rents in Auckland go up every time the herald runs a story (usually backed up by one if the big real estate companies) about housing shortages.
The rates up here are currently going through the roof which will also drive up rental prices
Old Aug 14th 2012, 11:26 am
BE Forum Addict

This post is about rent, as opposed to owning. I know nothing about owning or buying;

Everything is relative. For what we pay in London for a modest 2 bed house with a teeny garden, in Auckland I could have so much more. I've checked.

In fact I've (my wife has) checked the other way round in the areas of Grey Lynn, Westmere and Pt Chev and for what we have we would pay about 3 times less, exchange rate considered.

Without being too candid, we could afford to pay quite a bit more than what we currently do for our ramshackle in London - but given the info above - We could (and are willing to) take a reasonable cut in pay and still live comfortably in a place much bigger than what we've become accustomed to in London.

I suppose ones view of "value for money" is specific to each individual/family.

Last edited by TommyLuck; Aug 14th 2012 at 11:32 am.
Old Aug 14th 2012, 12:21 pm
BE Forum Addict

Justcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond repute

Auckland is pricey for NZ but try as it might it could never compare to London rents.

I find grey Lynn to be a pretty soul less place but each to their own
Old Aug 14th 2012, 12:41 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Justcol
Auckland is pricey for NZ but try as it might it could never compare to London rents.

I find grey Lynn to be a pretty soul less place but each to their own
The soulessness of anywhere surely can not compare to Brentford;

On the flight path to Heathrow, one small to mid-sized supermarket (Morrisons), a McDonalds, 6 pubs within a 250 yard radius of my house, literally nothing to do unless you're under 5 years of age - there's a couple of parks.

It does however have a very good fish and chip shop, which is rare in the South East.

Good to know about Grey Lynn, I suppose the clue is in the name ...

I've only really driven through with my wife pointing out various places. It's where she grew up and spent time with her Mum, through her Mum's final years, hence her looking in to it.

Having said that, as I understand it, it's got a past of being a bit of a hippy area?

I'm not sure if this is prevalent to this day.
Old Aug 14th 2012, 7:21 pm
It is what it is Member

simonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond repute

I suppose ones view of "value for money" is specific to each individual/family.
Indeed! This is why most potential expats questions along the lines of "what sort of life can I lead on an income of $xxxxx" are doomed from the start, we can only provide some empirical costs based on NZ experience, the potential expat has to then put those costs as appropriate into their required lifestyle to answer their own question....
Old Aug 14th 2012, 11:22 pm
BE Forum Addict

The soulessness of anywhere surely can not compare to Brentford;
I think I will have to agree on the point about Brentford.
Old Aug 15th 2012, 3:24 am
It is what it is Member

Originally Posted by Justcol
I think I will have to agree on the point about Brentford.
x2

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.