Kitesurfing North island

Old Jan 7th 2012, 9:05 am
Just Joined

12knotsandup is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Kitesurfing North island

Any kitesurfers on the forum?
Old Jan 8th 2012, 3:25 am
BE Enthusiast

nero has a reputation beyond reputenero has a reputation beyond reputenero has a reputation beyond reputenero has a reputation beyond reputenero has a reputation beyond reputenero has a reputation beyond reputenero has a reputation beyond reputenero has a reputation beyond reputenero has a reputation beyond reputenero has a reputation beyond reputenero has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Kitesurfing North island

Originally Posted by 12knotsandup
If you want to find some - go to Pt Chev; Kohi; St Heliers; Orewa or Muriwai when the wind is up, like today and there will be plenty that you can chat to.
Have a mate who is into kite surfing and he was having a blast at Muriwai today, but it is certainly not a place for beginners.
Attached Thumbnails Kitesurfing North island-muriwai-beach-015.jpg   Kitesurfing North island-muriwai-beach-029.jpg   Kitesurfing North island-muriwai-beach-028.jpg  
Old Jan 8th 2012, 6:47 am
If u see Sid, tell 'im...

Location: Ex of Hucknall and Mansfield, Notts and now in Manly, Whangaparaoa, just North of Auckland!
sirplug has a reputation beyond reputesirplug has a reputation beyond reputesirplug has a reputation beyond reputesirplug has a reputation beyond reputesirplug has a reputation beyond reputesirplug has a reputation beyond reputesirplug has a reputation beyond reputesirplug has a reputation beyond reputesirplug has a reputation beyond reputesirplug has a reputation beyond reputesirplug has a reputation beyond repute

Try Kiteboy.....

Went for a walk around Shakespear Park, today. Seems to be a mecca for the kite boarders......

Old Jan 8th 2012, 7:21 am
Forum Regular

Location: From Skipton, North Yorkshire to Auckland North Shore
Kiteboy is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi

Yes I kitesurf. The auckland area is a great place to do it. My main spots are Muriwai for westerlies and Orewa for easterlies. Although Orewa gets super busy in the summer so I'm looking for alternative spots at the moment.

Its true that Muriwai is a hard core spot & isn't for the faint hearted. The rips there are really bad but its an epic spot in the right conditions.

How long have you been kitesurfing for?
Where did you kite in the UK?

Owen
Old Jan 8th 2012, 4:15 pm
Just Joined

Thanks everyone. Owen, I'm in Northumberland, not been kiting very long but it's a big part of my life. I'm just looking for somewhere in the world I can spend more time teaching (and playing) rather than doing a real job so I've been looking at NZ.

Do you get many sea breeze days?
Old Jan 8th 2012, 8:49 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond repute

They were kite-surfing at Matakatia as well yesterday.
Old Jan 9th 2012, 3:59 am

Location: Ex of Hucknall and Mansfield, Notts and now in Manly, Whangaparaoa, just North of Auckland!
sirplug has a reputation beyond reputesirplug has a reputation beyond reputesirplug has a reputation beyond reputesirplug has a reputation beyond reputesirplug has a reputation beyond reputesirplug has a reputation beyond reputesirplug has a reputation beyond reputesirplug has a reputation beyond reputesirplug has a reputation beyond reputesirplug has a reputation beyond reputesirplug has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Vitalstatistix
They were kite-surfing at Matakatia as well yesterday.
It's definitely shallow enough, when the tide's out.....but too small for kite surfing....
Old Jan 9th 2012, 5:06 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond repute

I hate the sport. Saw a kid on Rarotonga nearly wiped out by one. Child was sat on the beach digging in the sand, the kite landed just inches from him with one hell of a crash. Frightened the living daylights out of me & the OH. Thankfully, the child seemed oblivious to it thankfully. The parents moved said child from the beach immediately.
Old Jan 9th 2012, 9:13 am
Just Joined

[QUOTE]I hate the sport. Saw a kid on Rarotonga nearly wiped out by one. Child was sat on the beach digging in the sand, the kite landed just inches from him with one hell of a crash. Frightened the living daylights out of me & the OH. Thankfully, the child seemed oblivious to it thankfully. The parents moved said child from the beach immediately./QUOTE]

Come and spend a day with me and I'll teach you about kiting, I guarantee you won't hate the sport by the end of the day.

The incident with the kid on the beach is inexcusable, if the kiter was practicing moves where they could crash the kite the kiter should always be a safe distance from 3rd parties and will know this. And I'm sure the other kiters that where out that day put him/her straight.
Old Jan 9th 2012, 8:24 pm
Account Closed

[QUOTE=12knotsandup;9830018]
I hate the sport. Saw a kid on Rarotonga nearly wiped out by one. Child was sat on the beach digging in the sand, the kite landed just inches from him with one hell of a crash. Frightened the living daylights out of me & the OH. Thankfully, the child seemed oblivious to it thankfully. The parents moved said child from the beach immediately./QUOTE]

Come and spend a day with me and I'll teach you about kiting, I guarantee you won't hate the sport by the end of the day.

The incident with the kid on the beach is inexcusable, if the kiter was practicing moves where they could crash the kite the kiter should always be a safe distance from 3rd parties and will know this. And I'm sure the other kiters that where out that day put him/her straight.
Oooo er, I don't get an offer like that everyday. Not sure it's a sport for humpa lumpa's like me though.
Old Jan 11th 2012, 3:49 am
Forum Regular

nicorsts1 is just really nicenicorsts1 is just really nicenicorsts1 is just really nicenicorsts1 is just really nicenicorsts1 is just really nicenicorsts1 is just really nicenicorsts1 is just really nicenicorsts1 is just really nicenicorsts1 is just really nice

Theres a few kitesurfers here in Gisborne at wainui, Only been in NZ for 3 months but its definatley a sport id like to get into along with more surfing which i did very little of back in the UK. I spoke to a group of local kitesurfers about hows best to start, they just mentioned lessons and next time the winds up to head back down for a go with them, defo need lessons first but what sort of cost is the equipment?
Old Jan 11th 2012, 4:17 am

Originally Posted by nicorsts1
Theres a few kitesurfers here in Gisborne at wainui, Only been in NZ for 3 months but its definatley a sport id like to get into along with more surfing which i did very little of back in the UK. I spoke to a group of local kitesurfers about hows best to start, they just mentioned lessons and next time the winds up to head back down for a go with them, defo need lessons first but what sort of cost is the equipment?
Have a look here, for prices..

http://www.ballistics.co.nz/searchre...h=Kiteboarding

http://www.nzboardstore.co.nz/index....FUJMpgodqnmzgg

http://www.kitesports.co.nz/

Where in Derbyshire, were you from??
Old Jan 11th 2012, 7:19 am
Forum Regular

NZBee is a glorious beacon of lightNZBee is a glorious beacon of lightNZBee is a glorious beacon of lightNZBee is a glorious beacon of lightNZBee is a glorious beacon of lightNZBee is a glorious beacon of lightNZBee is a glorious beacon of lightNZBee is a glorious beacon of lightNZBee is a glorious beacon of lightNZBee is a glorious beacon of lightNZBee is a glorious beacon of light

Teabaggers!
Old Jan 11th 2012, 7:44 am
Just Joined

@nicorsts1

Lessons are a must to keep you and others safe. Do a google earth search to find local schools and give them a call. If you can get a trainer kite to practice with that's great. Surfers are usually quicker to learn because they have the board skills (same as skaters, snowboarders etc) and are also confident in the water.

Usually people buy 1 kite to start with, your instructor will give you info on what size to go for to suit you're weight and conditions. As you progress and want to kite more often in lower or higher wind you will buy more kites, most people have a 2 or 3 kite quiver and a couple of boards.

Most people go from this to this then this
Have fun!

Last edited by 12knotsandup; Jan 11th 2012 at 8:39 am.
Old Feb 2nd 2012, 8:12 am
Forum Regular

nicorsts1 is just really nicenicorsts1 is just really nicenicorsts1 is just really nicenicorsts1 is just really nicenicorsts1 is just really nicenicorsts1 is just really nicenicorsts1 is just really nicenicorsts1 is just really nicenicorsts1 is just really nice

@nicorsts1

Lessons are a must to keep you and others safe. Do a google earth search to find local schools and give them a call. If you can get a trainer kite to practice with that's great. Surfers are usually quicker to learn because they have the board skills (same as skaters, snowboarders etc) and are also confident in the water.

Usually people buy 1 kite to start with, your instructor will give you info on what size to go for to suit you're weight and conditions. As you progress and want to kite more often in lower or higher wind you will buy more kites, most people have a 2 or 3 kite quiver and a couple of boards.

Most people go from this to this then this
Have fun!
Thanks 12knotsandup, I totally agree with having lessons, I've seen some of the good and bad in kitesurfing at my local beach, I guess its so easy to get it wrong with no control and in flash someones gonna get hurt. I've found a local shop that do lessons so i'll call in and check it out

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.