Kilts in NZ

Old Dec 11th 2015, 2:17 am
Just Joined

MarkMcKeown is a name known to allMarkMcKeown is a name known to allMarkMcKeown is a name known to allMarkMcKeown is a name known to allMarkMcKeown is a name known to allMarkMcKeown is a name known to allMarkMcKeown is a name known to allMarkMcKeown is a name known to allMarkMcKeown is a name known to allMarkMcKeown is a name known to allMarkMcKeown is a name known to all
Default Kilts in NZ

Hi there,
Tonight is my office Christmas party. It's a semi-formal to formal occasion. A 3-course meal down at the Waterfront. Most people in my office will be dressing smart (i.e. dresses, shirt & tie).
I am Scottish, and it's tradition where I'm from to wear your kilt at Christmas parties. This is my first Christmas in Auckland and I don't know how it will be received. I can see people reacting one of two ways;
"Ah that's nice, it's always cool to see someone wearing their traditional dress"
or
"What is his problem? Why does he have to show everyone up and be the centre of attention? This is an office party, it's not about him"
If most people reacted with the 2nd option, I don't want to wear it because I'd hate to be 'that guy'. I'm just proud to be Scottish and always love to wear my kilt whenever I have an occasion to do so.
Thoughts?
Old Dec 11th 2015, 2:40 am

Snap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Kilts in NZ

Get on and wear it I'd say. In fact, wear it with pride. That's if you're not going to find it a stifling thing to wear in the heat of a Pacific summer Christmas function. Complete with formal shirt and maybe the jacket too. Got some heather so you can get lucky, er, I mean be lucky ?

I saw a guy in Edinburgh summer 2006 on a Sunday with his green tartan kilt on, a black t-shirt and black shoes. I thought he looked very nice. What's the rule about not wearing brown brogues with a kilt after 6pm or some such rubbish ? Or do you not have to worry as the royal family won't be there.

I realise you're going to be semi-formal to formal, well, dependant on how much alcohol has been consumed ! I worked with a Scottish bloke once who was proud of the fact that he had purchased a kilt and could wear it to the Christmas 'do' although this was in Britain fifteen years ago. All I mean by that is that he would have been well dressed for the conditions, long socks and all ! You never know, people might want to buy you measures of antique scotch !

My husband was born in Scotland and his family tartan is relevant to his mother's side of the family.

He's crestfallen that his kilt does not fit him anymore. Well, he was a child when he wore it to travel to NZ with his family back in the sixties when it was still the thing to dress up to travel.

He's got a tie that's made out of the tartan that's relevant to his family tartan.

P.S. is a move to Chile still on the cards ? (I'm a nosy bugger !)

Last edited by Snap Shot; Dec 11th 2015 at 2:57 am. Reason: Donald where's your troosers ?
Old Dec 11th 2015, 3:55 am
BE Enthusiast

garethwm has a reputation beyond reputegarethwm has a reputation beyond reputegarethwm has a reputation beyond reputegarethwm has a reputation beyond reputegarethwm has a reputation beyond reputegarethwm has a reputation beyond reputegarethwm has a reputation beyond reputegarethwm has a reputation beyond reputegarethwm has a reputation beyond reputegarethwm has a reputation beyond reputegarethwm has a reputation beyond repute

Wear it. It will be a good conversation starter. I think most people will love it but there may be one or two idiots that end up having too much to drink and try and make a joke out of it. I doubt they would think you were an attention seeker. Let us know what happens.
Old Dec 11th 2015, 3:56 am

Location: Wellington - I miss Castles, the NHS & English school system
MrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond repute

really if you think your work colleagues would react like that then I think they have a problem not you. As SnapShot has said wear it with pride
Old Dec 11th 2015, 4:33 am
Somewhere

BEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond repute

Wear it with full pride.

Crike ! If that was here on the South Island, they'd be falling over themselves with love for you and the kilt.
Old Dec 11th 2015, 4:53 am
Truth is the safest lie.

Charismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: Kilts in NZ

If you're Scottish you have nothing much to lose.
Old Dec 11th 2015, 5:36 am
She'll be right

Pom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond repute

I say go for it, you'll be fine.

Probably wouldn't dance on tables though if the rumour is true regarding undies (or lack of!) under your kilt

Have a good night and let us know how you get on!
Old Dec 12th 2015, 6:14 am
BE Forum Addict

Justcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond repute

I always thought jocks wore kilts when away from Scotland because
deep down they enjoy being "that guy"
Old Dec 12th 2015, 7:20 am

Snap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MarkMcKeown View Post
Hi there,
Tonight is my office Christmas party. It's a semi-formal to formal occasion. A 3-course meal down at the Waterfront. Most people in my office will be dressing smart (i.e. dresses, shirt & tie).
I am Scottish, and it's tradition where I'm from to wear your kilt at Christmas parties. This is my first Christmas in Auckland and I don't know how it will be received. I can see people reacting one of two ways;
"Ah that's nice, it's always cool to see someone wearing their traditional dress"
or
"What is his problem? Why does he have to show everyone up and be the centre of attention? This is an office party, it's not about him"
If most people reacted with the 2nd option, I don't want to wear it because I'd hate to be 'that guy'. I'm just proud to be Scottish and always love to wear my kilt whenever I have an occasion to do so.
Thoughts?
So, how did it go ? Did you wear it ? Did you pull ? Hangover from hell this morning ?
Old Dec 13th 2015, 10:02 pm
Forum Regular

john_hepburn is a splendid one to beholdjohn_hepburn is a splendid one to beholdjohn_hepburn is a splendid one to beholdjohn_hepburn is a splendid one to beholdjohn_hepburn is a splendid one to beholdjohn_hepburn is a splendid one to beholdjohn_hepburn is a splendid one to beholdjohn_hepburn is a splendid one to beholdjohn_hepburn is a splendid one to beholdjohn_hepburn is a splendid one to beholdjohn_hepburn is a splendid one to behold

Question is, how "true" to your heritage did you stay?
Old Dec 13th 2015, 11:32 pm

Did he go commando ?

Is anything worn under a Scotsman's kilt ? No, it's all in perfect working order ! Oh yes, the old jokes are still the old jokes.
Old Dec 14th 2015, 6:23 pm
Forum Regular

john_hepburn is a splendid one to beholdjohn_hepburn is a splendid one to beholdjohn_hepburn is a splendid one to beholdjohn_hepburn is a splendid one to beholdjohn_hepburn is a splendid one to beholdjohn_hepburn is a splendid one to beholdjohn_hepburn is a splendid one to beholdjohn_hepburn is a splendid one to beholdjohn_hepburn is a splendid one to beholdjohn_hepburn is a splendid one to beholdjohn_hepburn is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Snap Shot View Post
Did he go commando ?

Is anything worn under a Scotsman's kilt ? No, it's all in perfect working order ! Oh yes, the old jokes are still the old jokes.
I stopped wearing mine partly because of the jokes. That and drunk women insisting on trying to see under it.
Old Jan 17th 2016, 11:52 pm
Just Joined

MarkMcKeown is a name known to allMarkMcKeown is a name known to allMarkMcKeown is a name known to allMarkMcKeown is a name known to allMarkMcKeown is a name known to allMarkMcKeown is a name known to allMarkMcKeown is a name known to allMarkMcKeown is a name known to allMarkMcKeown is a name known to allMarkMcKeown is a name known to allMarkMcKeown is a name known to all

Thanks for the advice everyone!
Just realised I never did respond to this thread. You'll all be glad to know that I wore it with pride and had a fantastic night. In fact, on the way to the function, I was stopped by a wonderful 80 year old Kiwi man, who was getting watery eyed as his beloved gran was from the Shetland isles and used to wear tartan all the time. It reminded him of his younger days and his lovely gran and he thanked me for 'keeping my history alive and being proud of where I'm from'. I think I made his day and he certainly made mine.
And yes, I was of course a true Scotsman.