Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Kidz first hospital and Manukau...yay or nay

Kidz first hospital and Manukau...yay or nay

Old Mar 6th 2017, 8:30 pm
BE Enthusiast

inkedneonurse has a reputation beyond reputeinkedneonurse has a reputation beyond reputeinkedneonurse has a reputation beyond reputeinkedneonurse has a reputation beyond reputeinkedneonurse has a reputation beyond reputeinkedneonurse has a reputation beyond reputeinkedneonurse has a reputation beyond reputeinkedneonurse has a reputation beyond reputeinkedneonurse has a reputation beyond reputeinkedneonurse has a reputation beyond reputeinkedneonurse has a reputation beyond repute
Default Kidz first hospital and Manukau...yay or nay

Possibility of a job in the above hospital...gathering people's opinions about the area........(I know AKL is expensive) I'm looking at schools...crime rate......family life

Cheers all
Old Mar 7th 2017, 12:52 am
BE Enthusiast

garethwm has a reputation beyond reputegarethwm has a reputation beyond reputegarethwm has a reputation beyond reputegarethwm has a reputation beyond reputegarethwm has a reputation beyond reputegarethwm has a reputation beyond reputegarethwm has a reputation beyond reputegarethwm has a reputation beyond reputegarethwm has a reputation beyond reputegarethwm has a reputation beyond reputegarethwm has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Kidz first hospital and Manukau...yay or nay

My biggest problem with Manakau is the ever present window washers at the lights on the corner of Great Sth Road and Te Irirangi drive. Lol. Manakau is a fairly broad area with a reputation of lower socioeconomic housing etc. It is an area of a higher Polynesian and Indian population. If, like me, this doesnt bother you, then all good. There are more modern areas too, or you could always choose to live to the east in Botany or Howick, which are all good, and more expensive, areas, and take the 20 minute commute to work. Be aware that some people on here will try and talk you out of it but for me its just a matter of finding a good area to live with good schools of which there are plenty. And to also be aware that there are lots of different ethnicities, which I personally like, in the immediate vicinity of Manakau itself.
Old Mar 7th 2017, 1:07 am
BE Enthusiast

garethwm has a reputation beyond reputegarethwm has a reputation beyond reputegarethwm has a reputation beyond reputegarethwm has a reputation beyond reputegarethwm has a reputation beyond reputegarethwm has a reputation beyond reputegarethwm has a reputation beyond reputegarethwm has a reputation beyond reputegarethwm has a reputation beyond reputegarethwm has a reputation beyond reputegarethwm has a reputation beyond repute

Crime rates : Manakau higher than Auckland average - avoid Otara, due to lower overall incomes. Howick / Botany lower crime rate than average. I imagine the job could be rewarding.
Old Mar 7th 2017, 5:24 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by inkedneonurse
Possibility of a job in the above hospital...gathering people's opinions about the area........(I know AKL is expensive) I'm looking at schools...crime rate......family life

Cheers all
I believe Kidz First is just a 'brand' name for a unit within Middlemore Hospital at Counties Manukau DHB so you might have more luck searching info more generally for Middlemore.

As you'll no doubt be aware Middlemore is smack bang in between Otahuhu, Otara and Mangere which are pretty notorious for being the most deprived / rough areas in the whole of New Zealand; so you'll need to take some care and pick and choose where you live. Most European expats (myself included) wouldn't touch South Auckland with a barge pole but there are some 'okayish' areas if the budget will allow: Wattle Downs, Takanini, Papakura, The Gardens, Totara Park & Karaka Lakes. There is a train stop at Middlemore so perhaps have a look at what other places along the train line.
Old Mar 7th 2017, 5:53 am
BE Enthusiast

inkedneonurse has a reputation beyond reputeinkedneonurse has a reputation beyond reputeinkedneonurse has a reputation beyond reputeinkedneonurse has a reputation beyond reputeinkedneonurse has a reputation beyond reputeinkedneonurse has a reputation beyond reputeinkedneonurse has a reputation beyond reputeinkedneonurse has a reputation beyond reputeinkedneonurse has a reputation beyond reputeinkedneonurse has a reputation beyond reputeinkedneonurse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bo-Jangles
There is a train stop at Middlemore so perhaps have a look at what other places along the train line.
Thank you will have a look
Old Mar 7th 2017, 10:54 pm
---

bourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond repute

I know someone who lives and raised kids (arrived when they were approaching teens) in Wattle Downs. Loves it. Kids "done good": all in work / uni.
Old Mar 8th 2017, 1:41 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by bourbon-biscuit
I know someone who lives and raised kids (arrived when they were approaching teens) in Wattle Downs. Loves it. Kids "done good": all in work / uni.
Good to hear..mine are 14.,12 and 9
Old Mar 8th 2017, 3:00 am
BE Enthusiast

Plenty of happy Europeans living in the broad area known as South Auckland.
Old Mar 8th 2017, 3:00 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by garethwm
Plenty of happy Europeans living in the broad area known as South Auckland.
Well I have a list of likely places to live so hopefully I will be another happy European....well not happy I'm habitually grumpy but you get the idea
Old Mar 8th 2017, 8:24 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond repute

I have a friend who works at Middlemore Hospital/AUT (she's the clinical educator midwife). Her OH works at the airport. They have lived in Dannemora for the past 10 years. I went to stay with her last week prior to a midwifery conference in Hamilton. She lives on a quiet street and it seemed pleasant enough to me. Obviously you get the flight traffic but it didn't keep me awake (and I'm a light sleeper!).

She has one child left at home now, he's just turned 13. I can find out which schools he has been to in the area and how she finds them if that helps.
Old Mar 8th 2017, 8:48 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Vitalstatistix
I have a friend who works at Middlemore Hospital/AUT (she's the clinical educator midwife). Her OH works at the airport. They have lived in Dannemora for the past 10 years. I went to stay with her last week prior to a midwifery conference in Hamilton. She lives on a quiet street and it seemed pleasant enough to me. Obviously you get the flight traffic but it didn't keep me awake (and I'm a light sleeper!).

She has one child left at home now, he's just turned 13. I can find out which schools he has been to in the area and how she finds them if that helps.
Hi VS

That would be a great help thanks. I live under the Heathrow flight path in fact I can see the passengers they come that low so will be like s home from home lol
Old Mar 10th 2017, 2:00 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by inkedneonurse
Hi VS

That would be a great help thanks. I live under the Heathrow flight path in fact I can see the passengers they come that low so will be like s home from home lol
I will PM you when I have some details from my friend.

Sounds perfect for you and certainly less busy than Heathrow by a smidgen