British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   New Zealand (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/)
-   -   Kids' Schooling (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/kids-schooling-437549/)

Hakan Mar 26th 2007 10:35 am

Kids' Schooling

Hi, can anyone tell me, as i couldn't find the info on the NZ Immigration website whether under the Work to Residence option, that your kids get a visa to be able to study at school, or are they deemed international students and you pay through the roof for their education. I know they do under they skilled migrant category, but i'm not sure under the Work to Residence one.

Mandie Mar 26th 2007 7:25 pm

Re: Kids' Schooling

Originally Posted by Hakan (Post 4562130)
Hi, can anyone tell me, as i couldn't find the info on the NZ Immigration website whether under the Work to Residence option, that your kids get a visa to be able to study at school, or are they deemed international students and you pay through the roof for their education. I know they do under they skilled migrant category, but i'm not sure under the Work to Residence one.

They have to have a student visa and as you'll have a 'Work to Residency' visa you won't have to pay for their schooling...:thumbsup:

phil01 Mar 26th 2007 10:52 pm

Originally Posted by Hakan (Post 4562130)

Hi,
We only came on a work visa not even work to residence and our daughter was given a student visa, costs us nothing for her education...but that is only up to secondary school, college you do pay for.
Debbie

Hakan Mar 27th 2007 8:19 am

Originally Posted by phil01 (Post 4565026)
Hi,
We only came on a work visa not even work to residence and our daughter was given a student visa, costs us nothing for her education...but that is only up to secondary school, college you do pay for.
Debbie

Thanks for that, that's great...

Marika 38 Mar 27th 2007 10:42 pm

Originally Posted by phil01 (Post 4565026)
Hi,
Debbie

Hi Debbie,
this is intresting as we were only talking about it the other day, am I correct in thinking that once the children get to 16, they no longer get free education, and also I was told by a agency once that until you get residency the children past 16 cannot go into further education. Do you know anymore about this??
Thanks, Marika

dlmckay Mar 28th 2007 12:17 am

Originally Posted by Marika 38 (Post 4570085)
and also I was told by a agency once that until you get residency the children past 16 cannot go into further education.

That would be interesting, considering all the Asian students who come to NZ to go to the Universities here...

Rustie Mar 28th 2007 1:21 am

You can go to further education after 16 without residency but you have to pay for it and, I believe you have to get a student visa.

phil01 Mar 28th 2007 2:15 am

Originally Posted by Marika 38 (Post 4570085)
Hi Debbie,
this is intresting as we were only talking about it the other day, am I correct in thinking that once the children get to 16, they no longer get free education, and also I was told by a agency once that until you get residency the children past 16 cannot go into further education. Do you know anymore about this??
Thanks, Marika

Hi Marika,
ditto what Rustie said! You and hubby will be coming on the same visa as us so your little 'uns will need student visas, not sure how old your children are Marika. But yes another trucker we have been in touch with was told his 17 year old daughter would need a student visa but be classed as an international student and therefore fees would be payable...she is doing a catering course I believe and I think he said it was going to be over $10k so she is now staying in the UK until her college education is complete.

I don't know if college is free to those with PR, but should think someone else will know?
Debbie

Rustie Mar 28th 2007 2:37 am

College is free for those with PR Phil, its just University and equivilent you pay for. :thumbsup:

southerner Mar 28th 2007 4:01 am

In case its not obvious, colleges in NZ are the equivalent of secondary or high schools in the UK.

P18PPS Mar 28th 2007 8:55 am

Although you may not have to pay exactly, don't forget to factor in the expected contribution for each term (4 of them out here), term fees average at around $100 per child per term, there is also stationery costs ontop of this (circa $50ish per child per year), so if you've got more than one child at school then these costs do add up - the fees are classed as a contribution, though it really is expected that you pay and all the money goes back into the school and often pays for additional teachers not just for little extras here and there - just make sure you factor them in.

backdoor Apr 3rd 2007 5:21 am

Off topic..

Which languages do they teach in the school system. My kids will have to keep uptheir french as we are only coming for 3 years. I saw some schools with french is that the norm? What are the chances I'll find an after school french tutor??

Thanks

phil01 Apr 3rd 2007 6:55 am

Originally Posted by P18PPS (Post 4571310)
Although you may not have to pay exactly, don't forget to factor in the expected contribution for each term (4 of them out here), term fees average at around $100 per child per term, there is also stationery costs ontop of this (circa $50ish per child per year), so if you've got more than one child at school then these costs do add up - the fees are classed as a contribution, though it really is expected that you pay and all the money goes back into the school and often pays for additional teachers not just for little extras here and there - just make sure you factor them in.

Hi,
my daughter is only in primary school and her term fees are optional at $5.00 per term, stationery costs around $20.00.
Debbie