British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   New Zealand (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/)
-   -   Kids (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/kids-770391/)

Natandandy Sep 3rd 2012 9:17 am

Kids

What I would like to know is how the kids feel about the big move to NZ, how they adapt to a new way of life, school, meeting new friends, new experiences and leaving family and friends behind. I would like to know good and bad points if possible. We have twin girls at 10 a son at 13 who are excited to go but will miss there grandparents sooooooooo much :) .

Our kids do various activity's from football, netball and are all in St John ambulance cadets, which I believe is big over there and they would love to carry this on over there.

The kids are up for new challenges and are looking forward to the move (if all goes well) early next year.

:thumbsup:

Robbie2010 Sep 3rd 2012 10:10 am

Re: Kids

My son was 10 when we came here and he hated it for a long time. He was bullied in school and the teachers were useless at dealing with it.
He's now 18, has a job, a flash car and a girlfriend so he's happy now.

Justcol Sep 3rd 2012 1:18 pm

My youngest was just 14 when we arrived, he took a little time to adapt to the different style of education but had
no real problems, he quickly made friends and we were more than happy to see that he was able go out of an evening to
his friends houses without us worrying about his safety, his friends parents were also very welcoming towards us
I found that kids in NZ are allowed to be kids which is nice to see. I'm sure they will have no problems
settling in apart from missing some friends and family back home but they soon learn to put that into perspective

MrsFychan Sep 3rd 2012 7:56 pm

when we came over daughter was ten and son was (is) 6 yrs. I thought daughter would have problems as she is rather sensitive. but we were fortunate enough to hook up with someone in the area we moved to on FB, they put the word out about new family coming over and asked if anyone willing to befriend our daughter before we came to get in touch. we managed to met a family who had a daughter the same age and have been great before and since we've been here. they turned up on our doorstep day after we arrived and took the kids off so we could sort the rental a bit.
My 6yr old found it a bit more difficult as not connection to anyone before we came and the other family only had girls. He did have a problem with one boy in his class, but apparently all the kids do, but I made it quite clear I would not put up with any nonsense from this boy to my son after the first incident and luckily lots of the other kids rallied round my son and now he has loads of friends.
We keep in contact with UK friends through FB and some through Skype and letters, letter writing has become a big thing for us :thumbsup:, but for the kids it is slowly becoming less. and I would say the settling in period was less stressful and shorter than I expected.