British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   New Zealand (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/)
-   -   Kia Ora to you all (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/kia-ora-you-all-519784/)

b17rbs Mar 7th 2008 7:53 am

Kia Ora to you all

Hi,

First posting to say hello to you all.

Looking to move to NZ in June 2008. Hubby been offered a job in Ashburton, so looking at that area to live. Any info about where to start looking for house most welcome - in fact any advice in general welcome good or bad!

Trying to sell UK house - nightmare!:mad:

Cannot wait to get there, all reasearched out!!!

:thumbsup:

happynz Mar 7th 2008 9:58 am

Re: Kia Ora to you all

Ashburton, eh? It's not so big, but it is a bit of an economic powerhouse right now because of the boom in primary production products such as dairy and horticulture. Lots of money floating about down there.

I've only driven through several times and it seems nice enough. Flat as a pancake, but not so far to the ocean if you want beach time, near rivers for fishing and quite near the mountains for snow skiing or summer hikes.

I hope it works out for you. Good luck.

b17rbs Mar 7th 2008 10:23 am

Kia Ora to you all

Many thanks for that;). Fancied Christchurch, but hubby looks set to accept a job in Asburton and does not fancy the commute. Looks like me and the kids will be doing the commut to and from Christchurch if Ashburton does not have what we are looking for re shops and stuff we all drive so should not be a prob.

Thanks for the info

:thumbsup:

happynz Mar 7th 2008 10:34 am

That would be quite a commute from Ashburton to Christchurch. Ashburton has all the normal services, supermarkets, schools, shops, hospital, dentists etc.

Yeah, it isn't the edge of the Earth. That would be Haast on the other side of the South Island. Now, you can't get much more remote than that!

:D

b17rbs Mar 7th 2008 10:41 am

So what about the house prices? They look pretty reasonable online, but as you probably know sometimes this can be misleading.

Hubby out there at the mo, can you recommend any good/bad area's to look out for re house buying?

He did have the offer of Blenheim too, but he said all he could see was vineyards.. but outstandingly beautiful area too.

Just one other thing that my 16 year old daughter has been told by a friend who has lived out there that there is a lot of gang related crime? Have looked on the net and to be honest can find nothing to frighten me so far. Like here maybe as long as you are aware of the nutta's you know who to keep away from?

happynz Mar 7th 2008 10:50 am

I can't imagine Ashburton as being gang infested. Sure, there is the usual collection of pimply jackasses who race up and down the street and annoy the crap out of folks. It's a Kiwi thing. Be careful of who you let your daughter ride with as the driving here leaves a lot to be desired and with 15 year-olds added to the mix, it ain't pretty. It's a New Zealand problem.

As far as housing goes look for north facing, double glazing and insulation. That's so important.

b17rbs Mar 7th 2008 11:15 am

Pimply jackasses :lol: (going to remember that one).

It would be the same if you looked on the net at gangs over here, not a problem really but we do have our fair share of yobs too. Having said that l do think that some young kids get bad press and some people just love to hate em! They are not all bad :thumbsup: Getting worse over here cos the kids are carrying knives and guns now :( Kids have got to keep on the right side of the tracks or it can get real scary over here.

Weather in NZ or UK l would always hope my daughters (youngest 15 older 19) would have more sense. Would kick there butts if they started to hang with a load of dead heads and they know it! Older one drives and boy racers would just not impress either of them anyway. Got our fair share of them here too.

Will keep north facing, double glazing and insulation in mind.

Where are you based? Started looking at Auckland to begin with and then decided against. Too much like big city living for us.

beaudixon Mar 8th 2008 6:32 am

[F][/FONT]

Hi,
We live in Methven, 25 mins from Ashburton, its absolutely awesome.
We've been here 18mths, Ashburton is ok for all the shops and we rarely go to ChCh (even though its only just over an hour).
Its such a great place, there are good schools, lots to do, and well located centrally in the South Island.
House prices are reasonable, have been going up since we arrived, but cheaper in Ashburton than here in Methven.
Depends if you looking for country life, Methven is small town (which we love, only 1800 population), Ashburton is larger about 16,000-18,000.
Don't know if you need college info but Ashburton District has just 2 colleges, 1 in Ashburton & 1 in Methven.
If i can help anymore please PM me.
Judy

b17rbs Mar 8th 2008 8:46 am

Kia Ora to you all

Judy,

Thanks for the info, great to speak to someone who has already taken the leap. Hope you have settled and enjoy your new home, sounds like you do. You will have to let me know where abouts in Methven and Ashburton are the better places for house purchase or they both good area's.

It will be our three(21,19,16) kids that go to chch probably. Ashburton looks great , but have looked at houses in Methven too.

Colleges will be something we look at. Have looked at them both quickly on the net. Hubby is over there at the mo so hopefully will look into that one a little more.

Off to research the colleges in more detail now.

Many thanks :thumbup:

beaudixon Mar 8th 2008 7:23 pm

Hi
In Ashburton the Allenton region is the newest area with lots of new builds.
In Methven its all lovely, but i'm biased.... there's new builds too (we've had house built on the newest subdivision), there are less villas on the market, more brick built homes.
Both colleges have good reputations, a lot of students come from all over the District to Mt Hutt College, very popular if keen on outdoors activities but good acedemic record too.
Methven school & college share swimming pool and have great facilities.
Judy