Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Kia Ora! (Here's hoping...)

Kia Ora! (Here's hoping...)

Old Aug 25th 2010, 7:58 pm
Manchester to NZ (please)

kags-gowboy is just really nicekags-gowboy is just really nicekags-gowboy is just really nicekags-gowboy is just really nicekags-gowboy is just really nicekags-gowboy is just really nicekags-gowboy is just really nicekags-gowboy is just really nicekags-gowboy is just really nicekags-gowboy is just really nice
Default Kia Ora! (Here's hoping...)

Hi everyone

we're planning for EOI in next couple of weeks (getting used to house-move/sale first!) - would really appreciate any input from you guys with the experience; be brutal, we like honesty!!
we are unmarried, long-term living-in-sinners, no kids, middle-age upon us, kags a nurse (intensive care) me (gowboy) currently HGV foodservice delivery with retail management experience; I want to retrain in teaching juniors/social services? in NZ if poss., will do any work to tide us over - (we want to apply on the nursing ticket).
we are thinking of Nelson/Marlborough area, or BoP initially as we visited there last year (Rotorua?). Either way we are nervous as we don't want to build our hopes up too much....
any comments gratefully received, we hope to be helpful in turn should things go right for us!
thanks
gowboy
Old Aug 25th 2010, 9:18 pm
BE Enthusiast

londonescapee is a glorious beacon of lightlondonescapee is a glorious beacon of lightlondonescapee is a glorious beacon of lightlondonescapee is a glorious beacon of lightlondonescapee is a glorious beacon of lightlondonescapee is a glorious beacon of lightlondonescapee is a glorious beacon of lightlondonescapee is a glorious beacon of lightlondonescapee is a glorious beacon of lightlondonescapee is a glorious beacon of lightlondonescapee is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Kia Ora! (Here's hoping...)

Originally Posted by kags-gowboy
Hi everyone

we're planning for EOI in next couple of weeks (getting used to house-move/sale first!) - would really appreciate any input from you guys with the experience; be brutal, we like honesty!!
we are unmarried, long-term living-in-sinners, no kids, middle-age upon us, kags a nurse (intensive care) me (gowboy) currently HGV foodservice delivery with retail management experience; I want to retrain in teaching juniors/social services? in NZ if poss., will do any work to tide us over - (we want to apply on the nursing ticket).
we are thinking of Nelson/Marlborough area, or BoP initially as we visited there last year (Rotorua?). Either way we are nervous as we don't want to build our hopes up too much....
any comments gratefully received, we hope to be helpful in turn should things go right for us!
thanks
gowboy
Hey, welcome, we are literally 36 hours to go before we leave, Nelson/Marlborough amazing areas to live but there have been a few posts recently on how best to find work and it really is word of mouth seemingly. Even in Auckland - hubby has job through his old boss in the UK! Have a search through some of the older threads from a couple of months ago.

Best of luck, it's an amazingly exhilirating journey to get over
Old Aug 25th 2010, 9:27 pm
BE Enthusiast

MattandJax is a splendid one to beholdMattandJax is a splendid one to beholdMattandJax is a splendid one to beholdMattandJax is a splendid one to beholdMattandJax is a splendid one to beholdMattandJax is a splendid one to beholdMattandJax is a splendid one to beholdMattandJax is a splendid one to beholdMattandJax is a splendid one to beholdMattandJax is a splendid one to beholdMattandJax is a splendid one to behold

lots of nurses manage to get jobs in NZ, whilst they are still in the UK. (via telephone and skype interviews )this would speed up your application to emigrate and you'd have some guaranteed income to start with.

so get your partners CV up to scratch and apply for some jobs. you will also need proof of your r'ship, so good to start saving joint cards, invitations,fotos, bank and utility statements etc...

good luck with everything!
Old Aug 25th 2010, 9:32 pm
Scorchy legs

Dewb09 has a reputation beyond reputeDewb09 has a reputation beyond reputeDewb09 has a reputation beyond reputeDewb09 has a reputation beyond reputeDewb09 has a reputation beyond reputeDewb09 has a reputation beyond reputeDewb09 has a reputation beyond reputeDewb09 has a reputation beyond reputeDewb09 has a reputation beyond reputeDewb09 has a reputation beyond reputeDewb09 has a reputation beyond repute

Hi & welcome cant help much with immy questions as came over on spouse visa. But plenty on here can help.

See you have been given some great advise already so happy posting & good luck with the house sale etc

Dewb
Old Aug 26th 2010, 10:21 am
Forum Regular

joannii is an unknown quantity at this point

Welcome

Just a word of warning, make sure you have loads of paperwork to prove that you and your partner have been together, they won't just take your word on it. We haven't applied for the EOI yet, but I have been putting a pack together so that we have evidence, as we are not getting married till July next year!
Old Aug 26th 2010, 10:40 am
Just Joined

Moses65 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default NURSING

Does your partner have her NZ Nursing regsitration yet. If not she needs to be aware they have CLOSED applications at the moment until the new regulations for International Regsitration have been ratified.
She needs to check the NZNC website for more info.
Old Aug 26th 2010, 7:10 pm

kags-gowboy is just really nicekags-gowboy is just really nicekags-gowboy is just really nicekags-gowboy is just really nicekags-gowboy is just really nicekags-gowboy is just really nicekags-gowboy is just really nicekags-gowboy is just really nicekags-gowboy is just really nicekags-gowboy is just really nice
Default Re: NURSING

Originally Posted by Moses65
Does your partner have her NZ Nursing regsitration yet. If not she needs to be aware they have CLOSED applications at the moment until the new regulations for International Regsitration have been ratified.
She needs to check the NZNC website for more info.
yes just saw this last night - thanks for the heads-up anyway, we know it's going to take a while...as for other comments on relationship evidence, thanks too - unfortunately we have done a lot of shredding recently, so will have to do some digging...would personal letters of declaration help (from doctor friends, family etc.)? Thanks all!
Old Aug 26th 2010, 9:00 pm
BE Enthusiast

lisamct has a reputation beyond reputelisamct has a reputation beyond reputelisamct has a reputation beyond reputelisamct has a reputation beyond reputelisamct has a reputation beyond reputelisamct has a reputation beyond reputelisamct has a reputation beyond reputelisamct has a reputation beyond reputelisamct has a reputation beyond reputelisamct has a reputation beyond reputelisamct has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kags-gowboy
Hi everyone

thanks
gowboy
Hi and welcome to the forum. Cant really answer your EOI question as Ive just came over on a work visa just wanted to say they I know Rotorua hospital has vacancies for nurses as Ive just started work there (as a midwife) and I was having a nosy at the vacancy board last week!

Good luck with your plans!
Old Aug 29th 2010, 3:08 am
Just Joined

Kags
Letters of support from family, friends and others are always helpful for partnership evidence.
Hopefully the situation with the Nursing Council will be sorted soon but on the bright side (ever the psych nurse me ) at least the delay on that side frees time to get all the other bits ready.
Old Aug 29th 2010, 8:41 am

Kags
Letters of support from family, friends and others are always helpful for partnership evidence.
Hopefully the situation with the Nursing Council will be sorted soon but on the bright side (ever the psych nurse me ) at least the delay on that side frees time to get all the other bits ready.
yep, every cloud as they say....i notice you're in Taupo - we visited last september and the other (nursey) half (she's Kags) walked into the hospital and blagged an intro with one of the two senior Sisters; they were really nice with her, did the tour etc and explained there was a big expansion due which was going to increase the (currently pretty small) size of the hospital - would you have any knowledge on this? Cheeky question, but if you don't ask... Kags also organised an intro at Rotorua before we flew over, and REALLY liked that hospital with it's friendly people/patients (how grim is it here where we are!!!?!!!?). Perhaps you're no longer "psych-ing", but if you've got any views we'd love to hear them!
Cheers, Gowboy
Old Aug 31st 2010, 10:29 am
BE Enthusiast

bolton1 is a splendid one to beholdbolton1 is a splendid one to beholdbolton1 is a splendid one to beholdbolton1 is a splendid one to beholdbolton1 is a splendid one to beholdbolton1 is a splendid one to beholdbolton1 is a splendid one to beholdbolton1 is a splendid one to beholdbolton1 is a splendid one to beholdbolton1 is a splendid one to beholdbolton1 is a splendid one to behold

Hi lots of nurses on this forum who will be along offering advice i am sure. Re EOI & relationship we had photo's &witness statements from friends. Cost us a bit though
Good luck with your move
Old Aug 31st 2010, 2:43 pm

Originally Posted by bolton1
Hi lots of nurses on this forum who will be along offering advice i am sure. Re EOI & relationship we had photo's &witness statements from friends. Cost us a bit though
Good luck with your move
thanks for that Bolton1! What's the going rate for support letters and witness statements!!?
well, step 1 for us complete - house sale, signed today for completion on 03.09.10, took 4 months including one big timewaster; let's hope the rest follows ok, CAN'T WAIT!!!
Old Sep 1st 2010, 10:17 pm
Just Joined

Kags
I know there is heaps of development planned for Taupo Hospital. Are you looking at general or mental health as there are openings in both areas but (n its a big BUT!!!!!) if you are mental health you may want to ask youself why a town as lovely as Taupo has such probs keeping mental health staff.
I came over n started with them and suffuce to say Im now way happy not working there. The general side is very different as is the mental health team in Rotorua - as in staff stay there.
As for living in Taupo... its Awesome. We have the views of the mountains n for sure its colder here in the winter than say Northland but we are central n easy to get to other places. The beach is only drive away but we have the lake if we cant be bothered with the drive to The Mount.
Ive been here 3 years and seen heaps of Nth Island but Im always happy to come home to Taupo.
My son finished his upper school ed here in town and has no desire to shift either. Holler if you need more info on nursing or the wonderful town of Taupo.
Old Sep 2nd 2010, 8:24 am

Kags
I know there is heaps of development planned for Taupo Hospital. Are you looking at general or mental health as there are openings in both areas but (n its a big BUT!!!!!) if you are mental health you may want to ask youself why a town as lovely as Taupo has such probs keeping mental health staff.
I came over n started with them and suffuce to say Im now way happy not working there. The general side is very different as is the mental health team in Rotorua - as in staff stay there.
As for living in Taupo... its Awesome. We have the views of the mountains n for sure its colder here in the winter than say Northland but we are central n easy to get to other places. The beach is only drive away but we have the lake if we cant be bothered with the drive to The Mount.
Ive been here 3 years and seen heaps of Nth Island but Im always happy to come home to Taupo.
My son finished his upper school ed here in town and has no desire to shift either. Holler if you need more info on nursing or the wonderful town of Taupo.
We were only in Taupo 3 days last year - enough to get a flavour of the town on "season winde-down" (and a sky-dive!), checked out housing etc, we appreciated it lives for visitors/outdoor enthusiasts - and hey we saw more black ice in two nights there than i remember seeing in Manchester previous whole year! (minus 3, late September). General health is the key, and i guess as with all Govt investment/money things take a while....thanks for coming back on this - may be in touch soon to bend your ear!! gowboy
Old Sep 2nd 2010, 1:43 pm
Just Joined

No worries.
The black ice here is wicked eh but the plus side is we dont get the traffic jams of the UK motorways. Heck I now get rattled if theres more than two cars in front of me at the one set of lights in the town.
Feel free to holler when you need