British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   New Zealand (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/)
-   -   Keeping Patient and Focused (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/keeping-patient-focused-331507/)

CWEMM02 Oct 15th 2005 12:46 am

Keeping Patient and Focused

Hello fellow wanderers. Isn't it tough staying focused on this move? We are doing this now for the second time as we had withdrawn our previous application last spring due to house sticker shock. We received our ITA on 3 October 05 and are now getting the rest of the details sorted out. We have rehomed the dog and are now trying to rehome one of the cars. It just takes so long. We are both under 40, have four kids, I am a chartered accountant and a non smoker and non drinker. Just give me the ok now so I can list the house and get out of this limbo.

I think the second hardest thing, other than being patient, is I keep getting phone calls at work about better paying jobs than I currently have. Though I already do ok. Instead I am working hard to move to a place with lower wages, more expensive homes, higher mortgage rates, but cheaper apples.

However, I just have to do it because I want to. I can hardly wait to get our acceptance, hopefully by January, use our airpoints for the flights, sell the house, quit my job, fly away, find a new house and job and avoid the snow and heat.

Why do we do it?

SarahB Oct 15th 2005 1:18 am

Re: Keeping Patient and Focused

Not sure why we do it.....but we do!!

We've been here 4 months now. We are worse off than ever we were in the UK... we have no spending money at the end of the month. We miss our friends and family... some things here are double or triple the price of the same in UK... you have to pay 50 bucks to say hi to the doctor...and you have to pay for your own black bin bags!! :rolleyes: ... but we are here because we like it.... yep we do!! The winter has been a lot milder than it would be in UK....we've worn our coats at least 5 times this winter I think. The scenery is fantastic, the locals are friendly. We are 5 minutes walk from the beach. The fresh meat IS cheap and good..... yummm...bring on the BBQs! We have been skiing, fishing, boating, off-roading... I have my new horse :D

Who told you about the apples here? LOL.... you can get some massive apples here!! Like the ones you can get in the mediterranean just tastier!

Go for it and good luck!! Oh and bring a brolly with ya as it rains a lot here!

...and stop being so impatient! :D

KiwiNZ Oct 15th 2005 12:51 pm

Originally Posted by SarahB
... you have to pay 50 bucks to say hi to the doctor...

Ouch. You might want to invest in a community services card :) Depending on your household income, most families in New Zealand have one because it cuts down medical costs and your prescriptions are a lot less expensive.

planty Oct 15th 2005 12:57 pm

Originally Posted by KiwiNZ
Ouch. You might want to invest in a community services card :) Depending on your household income, most families in New Zealand have one because it cuts down medical costs and your prescriptions are a lot less expensive.

Hi, please explain what a community services card is and how much it costs and what you get for it. :) Thanks