British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   New Zealand (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/)
-   -   Kebabs (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/kebabs-670488/)

Perry Groves May 31st 2010 4:09 pm

Kebabs

Will I able to get Shish Kebabs when I am in NZ?

hazeandsteve May 31st 2010 6:16 pm

Re: Kebabs

Make your own if you can't.

sirplug May 31st 2010 7:35 pm

Originally Posted by Perry Groves (Post 8601758)

Probably in Auckland............

theduke May 31st 2010 7:56 pm

Originally Posted by Perry Groves (Post 8601758)

Kebabs are in no way the same here, oh I miss a kebab(a proper one with Pita bread and not the wrap, crap) on the way home from the pub, ah sauce and salad ;)

Justcol May 31st 2010 8:21 pm

well you can definately get em in hamilton.
Theres a grubby little place in the city centre that
do em. Spicey salad and dribling sauce the perfect end to
a good night out:thumbup:

turkeys Jun 1st 2010 8:21 am

With a title like kebabs, how can I resist replying to this.
Yes you can get kebabs - have grease, will travel.

You're talking shish rather than donner? You get them wrapped tightly with salad and all the usual suaces and much in line with kebabs across the continent Belgium, France err, Cyprus?

Less the skinned elephants leg and more the real meat. Could eat one now! Where are you going to live? I would recommend the one on Manners Mall if in Wellington

turkeys Jun 1st 2010 8:26 am

Originally Posted by theduke (Post 8602210)
Kebabs are in no way the same here, oh I miss a kebab(a proper one with Pita bread and not the wrap, crap) on the way home from the pub, ah sauce and salad ;)

Duke, being from Scotland, have you heard of something called a mixed box? From what I gather it is a mad mix of Indian and English fast food - pakora, samosa, fried chicken, chips etc.
I have got a website devoted to Teesside cuisine and have had some interesting stories of regional food and fast food from other places in the UK. A couple of Scots have mentioned this and I wondered if they are well known!

BEVS Jun 1st 2010 11:27 am

Kebabs.

Why are you asking this?

pricklykina Jun 1st 2010 11:40 am

Kebabs are way better here, My friend reckons that the difference between kebabs here and in the Uk is that here you can eat them when you are sober :rofl:

You can even feed them to your kids :rofl:
They are delicious...all hummus and yogurt and chilli sauce..mmmm
More like a shawarma I'd say

Persephone Jun 1st 2010 11:48 am

Originally Posted by turkeys (Post 8603186)
Duke, being from Scotland, have you heard of something called a mixed box? From what I gather it is a mad mix of Indian and English fast food - pakora, samosa, fried chicken, chips etc.
I have got a website devoted to Teesside cuisine and have had some interesting stories of regional food and fast food from other places in the UK. A couple of Scots have mentioned this and I wondered if they are well known!

I just had to look up that website. Hmmm very interesting! I always knew Teesside was insular and this is proof, I've not heard of any of those delicacies and I am a born and bred Darlingtonian:eek: :p
We have fish and chips with scraps but we certainly don't pay for the scraps in Darlo:D

turkeys Jun 1st 2010 12:00 pm

Originally Posted by Persephone (Post 8603522)
I just had to look up that website. Hmmm very interesting! I always knew Teesside was insular and this is proof, I've not heard of any of those delicacies and I am a born and bred Darlingtonian:eek: :p
We have fish and chips with scraps but we certainly don't pay for the scraps in Darlo:D

Surely you've had a lemontop ice cream on a visit to the seaside? They are class :thumbup:

Persephone Jun 1st 2010 12:17 pm

Originally Posted by turkeys (Post 8603546)
Surely you've had a lemontop ice cream on a visit to the seaside? They are class :thumbup:

Never did, my parents were obviously intent on depriving me of the good things in life:rofl: Will ask my dad whether he knows of them next time he rings, we used to go to Marske or Redcar occasionally but mainly Whitby or Scarborough if we were going on a daytrip. Were they only available in Teesside?

Perry Groves Jun 1st 2010 8:19 pm

I am heading for Wellington possibly, so glad to hear Kebab standards are high. Shawarma sounds good too. I quite like a Kofte or mixed kebab too.

crap coffee Jul 8th 2010 12:38 pm

don't eat kebabs.

JohnThePom Jul 8th 2010 9:44 pm

Originally Posted by crap coffee (Post 8686252)
don't eat kebabs.

Informative or imperative?