British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   New Zealand (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/)
-   -   Kapiti coast advice (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/kapiti-coast-advice-689731/)

kiwiwoodpecker Oct 15th 2010 10:50 pm

Kapiti coast advice

Has anybody any advice on Kapiti Coast.We moving from chch in few weeks and looking for info on schools,and good locations to live.We are looking at either Param,Waikanie or Ramati.Also any general opinions are welcome.
Thanks guys.

MOSO Oct 17th 2010 6:26 am

Re: Kapiti coast advice

Hi we're in Waikanae and love it!

The weather is better than Wellington (less wind, less rain, more sun:thumbup:), the land is flatter, the beaches are great and you get more for your money housewise. Waikanae is the quietest of the three you mentioned, but it has 2 great primary schools and after they're just finishing electrifying the train line so after Christmas it'll take over from Paraparaumu as the main train station for the area. It takes about 50 mins into Wellington. For the kids there is an outdoor pool which opens in a couple of weeks and it's down the road from Kapanui school so it becomes the hub of the village of the kids. The beach is also very safe and empty for the kids! There are 2 supermarkets and a small town centre with banks, real estate agents, cafes and cinema.

Paraparaumu is the main shopping centre (coastlands) which is fine for everyday needs. Raumati is more like Waikanae but with less shops. It has a nice village feel though. The housing is more expensive, but doesn't have the land attached and there is less choice than Paraparaumu or Waikanae.

School wise in Waikanae, Kapanui has a better reputation than Waikanae, in Paraparaumu, Paraparaumu Beach school has a good reputation as does Raumati Beach school in Raumati. Remember you have to live in the zone to get a place. There are two co-ed secondary schools, from year 9, Paraparaumu college and Kapiti college. We haven't got that far yet but local heresay says Paraparaumu college is more 'arty' and Kapiti is more science/technology based but I think they're both okay.

Dewb is renting in Raumati Beach area and has been here about a month now. Her kids are at Raumati Beach school and mine are at Kapanui. She's away this weekend, but no doubt will be along next week with advice if you need/want it!

Feel free to ask any questions you need to from either of us!

kiwiwoodpecker Oct 17th 2010 7:13 am

thanks for that moso.:)The advice is welcomed:thumbup:
Its nice to get a locals view on the area as it gives us a headstart.If we can think of anything else in next few days we will be in touch.

zoglet Oct 17th 2010 11:03 am

Para is a great place to live. It has shops, it has rail, restaurants and good transport to Welly. Iv been here over a year now and am very happy. It can be a bit "newly weds and nearly deads" but thats ok as long as you arent seeking fast living! :)

Raumati is slightly further to the south than Para, but they share the same rail link and are effectively suburbs of one another (the two pretty much merge into one). It has a good cafe! :)

Wiakani is further north and has a more "frontier town" feel about it, though that may change with the imminent rail upgrade completing soon. It also boasts the best butcher Iv known for a long time.

Basically the entire Kap coast is awsome and I wouldnt hesitate to recommend any part of it. If you can rent in any of the three areas you mentioned, you will find an awsome place to explore and good people to meet! (wow I sound like the tourist board!:eek:)

Enjoy!